Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 5000 Speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

ducha
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
ducha Posted: Tue, May 1 2012 3:02 AM

Hello fellow Beoworlders,

I have always loved the look of Beolab 5000 panel speakers and I have found a pair for sale here in the states. The owner is selling his Beolab 5000s along with a Beosystem 5000 for $400. The Beosystem components have some electrical and cosmetic issues, but I am mainly interested in the speakers. The owner has stated that there is a slight  hum coming from one of the Beolab speakers when the system is turned on but the noise becomes imperceptible as the volume is turned up. The speakers are nearly flawless cosmetically. The seller isn't sure whether the hum is coming from the Beosystem components or from the amplifier in the speaker.

My question is: Is it worth it for me to drive over 6 hours to purchase these Beolab 5000 speakers? If the humming problem lies in the speaker, could it potentially be an easy repair (such as a bad capacitor), or something that would be difficult and/or costly to repair?

Thank you for your input,

Aaron

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Tue, May 1 2012 5:06 AM

I had several Beolab amps that has been repaired (not by me) so I think yours is not such a big issue. If the cabinets and grills are in good cosmetic condition I would say, go for it! Automobile Automobile

ps. 400$? That's a bargain!

Brengen & Ophalen

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

I agree with Leslie. $400 is indeed a bargain as unmarked examples are very rare now.

The hum can be fixed by any experienced electronics technician. I would certainly be a potential purchaser if they were in the UK.

Regards Graham

elms
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
elms replied on Tue, May 1 2012 5:52 AM

I believe I was considering that exact system! In the Detroit area? $400 for a set of Beolab 5000s is a steal, let alone a semi-working Beosystem to go with it. Beolab 5000s are a rare beast, and are some of the better speakers B&O has made. I would have jumped on it, but I plan on building some speakers this summer, and I need to save money for that.

As for the humming, it is likely a bad capacitor. If it is something worse, it is probably not the speakers. I say you should jump on it! You don't see 5000s for sale very often!

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

I payed 1200 euro for my set of Beolab 5000, they are minty, but for 400 dollars, it's a steal!

Too long to list.... 

ducha
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
ducha replied on Wed, May 2 2012 2:00 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate everyone's input. And yes elms, that is the system in question!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, May 2 2012 2:10 AM

Ducha,

Please buy the system - it will keep me from buying it Laughing

This sale is a HUGE temptation to me. Elms and I are at an advantage too - only 4ish hours away. You better get moving!!!

PS - BL5K's are epic loudspeakers, I will never be without my set.

If the hum is audible in both channels it is likely the BeoMaster, if only one channel then likely a single BeoLab. Like the others have said, a capacitor will probably be at fault. I will go further to say (more like guess) that the problem is a defective power supply smoothing cap (common symptom ofthis is an audible 60Hz buzz).

Beo4 'til I die!

ducha
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
ducha replied on Tue, May 8 2012 3:00 AM

Thanks guys but I never ended up buying them. Just too far away and I have too little time, too much B&O, and not enough room!

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Fri, May 18 2012 1:50 AM

goodness I have a mint pair and no more wall space to hang them---$400 is beyond a steal

Jonathan

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS