Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5500 and a Beosystem 2300

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn Posted: Wed, May 2 2012 1:00 AM

So, here I am again asking basic types of questions.

I am using a Beosystem 2300 with a set of Beolab 2500 speakers- I have a Beogram 5500 turntable and pluged it into the same AUX where I have plugged my ipod cable adapter--I am not hearing the records--What am I missing other than you ight not be able to use a turntable with the 2300 which I would find unlikely.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

To play from a Beogram you will need a preamplifier, some newer Beograms has the preamp build in, but you BG 5500 does not, neither does your BS 2300, some older receiver/amps has the preamp build in Smile, yes confusing.

So you will need a preamplifier, I used this one I used this for connecting, BM, Ipod, and TV sound, looks like this

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

And you can connect like this

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

But you will need a cable like this, I know you will now ask, "why 4 RCA connectors", that is for future use, the 2 extra is for line out, you are going to use line in.

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Wed, May 2 2012 4:29 AM

i forgot to mention I have the entire beosystem 5500 so I do not need the preamp (yes?) I just did not want to use it all and wanted the clean look of the beogram and 2300 --I have another turntable ( which one?) I will have to find it and post here to see if it does have its own built in amp

Jonathan

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

onnnnn:

i forgot to mention I have the entire beosystem 5500 so I do not need the preamp (yes?) I just did not want to use it all and wanted the clean look of the beogram and 2300 --I have another turntable ( which one?) I will have to find it and post here to see if it does have its own built in amp

Jonathan

Correct, in this case, the RIAA pre amp is built into the Beomaster 5500.

If you want to use the deck with BS2300 then Soren is quite correct, you will need the stand alone pre amp between the two.

Regards Graham

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Wed, May 2 2012 11:03 AM

So, I can not use the BS 5500 with the 2300 as the pre amp?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, May 2 2012 11:38 AM

I guess in principle you could use the TAPE2/AUX connection of the Beomaster 5500 to output a line level signal to the 2300 (while the 5500 is playing phono)... but it really gets so complicated with the conflicting remote control issues etc, that I really wouldn't bother.unless to perhaps prove a point.

--mika

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Wed, May 2 2012 12:15 PM

just want it to work --what gets complicated--could/would you  give a step by step set up to see if it does work?

Thanks,

Jonathan

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Wed, May 2 2012 12:50 PM

maybe this should be a whole new question but I will post it in this question first

SO I found all 3 of my decks but have no knowledge on any of them except for what I am now learning about the BG 5500

I also have a BG 2400 and a BG 4004

What I would like to know  is

1- which on the 3 is the better turntable?

2-what stylus is needed for each and can I interchange them if I send the numbers to anyone that knows that information?

3-can any of the newly listed  work with the BS 2300 without my buying a new pre amp?

again, Thanks,

Jonathan

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

1. The most popular of the 3 is the 4004, the 2400 is a very good radial tracking turntable and in my opinion underrated.

2. The cartridges for 4004 and 2400 are inter changeable, its the MMC 20 series The 5500 has a MMC 1-5, look here

3. No, you will need a preamp.

As for using BS 5500 as preamp, you connect the line out RCA on the BM 5500 to the aux in on 2300 with the fore mentioned cable, or get a male to male 5 pin din plugs cable and use tape 2 to aux.

But I recommend to get a preamp and use your BG 2400 to begin with, it has the simpler mechanics and is most likely to work without problems, but if the 4004 and the 2400 has been standing for a long time without working, you may need new bands and  some service on both of them.

As for using the BM 5500, no problems, but its a pity to split up this nice and working system,

Its now time to tell what other goodies you have in stock, a list with pics would be interesting Laughing 

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Wed, May 2 2012 7:43 PM

Soren

Took your recco and ordered the pre amp

I will likely sk you the sequence of adding the turntable and the 2300 ( just not my forte) if that is okay with you

Jonathan

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

onnnnn:

Soren

Took your recco and ordered the pre amp

I will likely sk you the sequence of adding the turntable and the 2300 ( just not my forte) if that is okay with you

Jonathan

No problem Jonathan, but get the cable too, now which plugs does your turntables have, DIN or RCA (phonoplugs)

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Thu, May 3 2012 12:24 AM

not sure which table I am going to use---I have rca cords all over the palce they come with every Direct TV unit I have ever had---the DIN I am not sure of---- ?

I will email you later after dinner

Jonathan

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Thu, May 3 2012 12:28 AM

Hi

The 2400 and the 5500 decks are 7 pin Din's-- what else do I need to get?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

onnnnn:

Hi

The 2400 and the 5500 decks are 7 pin Din's-- what else do I need to get?

The 7 pin din plugs has 2 pins screwed into the plug, take a close look and you will see that you can screw them out with a small screw driver, then you can connect them to the preamp using this one if the 4004 has RCA you can connect that one directly to the preamp.

If you take out the pins, tape them to the plug or the cable, not to loose them or store them where you forgot where, I have been looking for mine for 3 weeks now.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Where are you situated, over here or over there

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Thu, May 3 2012 4:38 AM

I am in the USA---is that li the only place to get THAT plug?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

You will need the 5 pin DIN female to 2 x RCA male, they are scare in the US but multi in the UK, but wait a little maybe another member has an answer. Or surf for it

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Thu, May 3 2012 6:00 AM

Are you proficient with soldering? If so I may have a plug for you. I will have to dig around and get back to you.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's a female conn. Definitely don't have one of those.

Beo4 'til I die!

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Try here http://www.soundsheavenly.co.uk/bando-beogramcable.htm Steve sends cables all over the world post free!

Regards Graham

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Fri, May 11 2012 3:48 AM

Soren

Ok got the preamp as you recco for using a beogram with my bs2300--I know I need a 5din with rca plugs- going to order from b/o guy who advertises here--so I need more than the one as I will attach one to the turntable and than do I need one for the BS 2300? I did find a shortish 5 din on each end cable---any use here for that?

Jonathan

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn replied on Fri, May 18 2012 1:43 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help--finally got my deck to play through my 2300 --its wonderful

Regards,

Jonathan

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS