Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Which of y 3 Beograms should I be using?

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

onnnnn
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
onnnnn Posted: Wed, May 2 2012 12:52 PM

SO I found all 3 of my decks but have no knowledge on any of them except for what I am now learning about the BG 5500

I also have a BG 2400 and a BG 4004

What I would like to know  is

1- which on the 3 is the better turntable?

2-what stylus is needed for each and can I interchange them if I send the numbers to anyone that knows that information?

3-can any of the newly listed  work with the BS 2300 without my buying a new pre amp?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, May 2 2012 2:23 PM

Best is always a little subjective, but I would place them in the following order:

Beogram 4004 - this is a tangential deck and takes the MMC20X range of cartridges - ideally a MMC20CL and Axel can re-tip these as necessary. This deck, indeed all of them, will require an external pre-amp to work with the BS2300.

The 5500 would be most peoples choice next - it is tangential and uses the MMC1-5 type cartridge - this deck is one of the lightweight tangential decks which encompassed a large range, all of which were essentially the same.

The 2400 is the dark horse - this has excellent sound reproduction and is well made. It is radial but this is only a problem if you skip from track to track on an LP. Good suspension and not that complex so quite easy to maintain.

If I had these three, I would use the 4004 first and the 2400 second.

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS