Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay A8

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit Posted: Thu, May 3 2012 7:18 AM

Hello,

I just saw the Beoplay site with the new A8. In the technical specifications they say it is Bluetooth!

I thougt it would be AirPlay ... Is it compatible with both? I cannot find anything about AirPlay on the site. 

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, May 3 2012 7:57 AM

Hi Benoit, 

It seems to be a typo : they repeat Bluetooth on 2 lines... And it carries the AirPlay logo (on the right of the spec sheet).

So yes, it's AirPlay AND Bluetooth. Which means that we can use it with anything, even out of reach of a wifi network.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, May 3 2012 8:19 AM

Interesting how the new A8 photos show the device without a connected iPhone or iPad.

Has anyone noticed any changes apart from the addition of AirPlay/Bluetooth (and removable dock)?

Also....the new A8 is going to be about £1000. On the BeoPlay store they are advertising the current Beosound 8 for £749. That's not wise on the part of B&O - someone might read the specs of the A8 and then get a Beosound 8 and wonder how they can use AirPlay!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, May 3 2012 8:20 AM

Answering my own question.....I notice they've added a relatively big B&O logo on the front of the A8 :)

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

In France, the BeoSound 8 is now sold at EUR 850 instead of the EUR 995 initial price. Does this mean that the new BeoPlay A8 costs the same price as the former BS8? With extra features like Airplay? In that case it would mean that B&O has finally understood modern marketing..Big Smile

CJM1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member
CJM1 replied on Thu, May 3 2012 11:39 AM

Im rather disappointed with B&O's new line up. The A3 iPad dock is an immediate flop. The Beoplay A8 rightfully should get the Beosound name. i don't like the fact how theres a big B&O logo on it. And who thought it was a great idea to remove the dock? i do like the new TV but i feel its lacking B&O style Sad

Synergy
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Synergy replied on Thu, May 3 2012 11:42 AM

Are you sure it has a removable dock??

Must read the spec thoroughly but it looks like it's just an Airplay/Bluetooth receiver.

I was expecting it to have the iPod/iPad mount as per BS8 but  with the added flexibility of Airplay compatibility when required.

Clean lines is all fine and dandy but a big part of it's personality/functionality is the dock.

Just needed Airplay on top for me to dust off the wallet [which will stay closed otherwise]

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Synergy:
Are you sure it has a removable dock??

It has a removable dock. Look at "What's in the box" section. So it is there when you want it, and it's not there when you don't.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Synergy
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Synergy replied on Thu, May 3 2012 11:51 AM

Hmm...spec does say it comes with an iPod/iPhone/iPad connector.

Anyone know if that means a plug in cable Crying or "sit on the bar" job a la BS8?

Needs to be sit on the bar to get my money.

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Thu, May 3 2012 11:53 AM

I don't think it has Bluetooth. It says: "Bluetooth music receiver (audio playback via line-in)", which is just marketing speak for "It has an AUX input which you can use to connect anything, including an Bluetooth receiver".

If you look at the specs for the "old" Beosound 8, it says: "AirPort Express/Bluetooth music receiver (audio playback via line-in)".

So, I'm thinking only WiFi.

Synergy
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Synergy replied on Thu, May 3 2012 11:55 AM

I saw the what's in the box, but it's not clear if they are referring to the unit itself as The Dock or a little module that sits on top to be used as and when.

Couldn't see any pics to clarify.Fingers crossed.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 3 2012 12:11 PM

Hi Synergy!

Don't worry it has a dock.  It says on the website when you click on one of the picture slides "The dock on BeoPlay A8 holds you iPhone or iPad in place... even the new iPad!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, May 3 2012 12:15 PM

Christophe :

In France, the BeoSound 8 is now sold at EUR 850 instead of the EUR 995 initial price. Does this mean that the new BeoPlay A8 costs the same price as the former BS8? With extra features like Airplay? In that case it would mean that B&O has finally understood modern marketing..Big Smile

Nope. As we've discussed a few times, there's a 15% promo on the current/outgoing BS8, bringing it down to £749. The A8, which is due this month, will be closer to....£1000.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, May 3 2012 1:54 PM

Dealer confirmed today that the outgoing Beosound 8 will now be replaced with the more expensive A8 (he originally thought they'd be offered together, at two price points).

So....if you're going to get a Beosound 8, I'd seriously consider getting one now at 15% off. It will be close to £1000 when the A8 is available at the end of May.

xegoon
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Paul W:

Hi Synergy!

Don't worry it has a dock.  It says on the website when you click on one of the picture slides "The dock on BeoPlay A8 holds you iPhone or iPad in place... even the new iPad!

Wink

_BeoSound Essence / _BeoLab 3 + BeoLab 2 / _BeoVision 6-26" MKII (HDMI version) / _Form 2

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 3 2012 7:26 PM

Now that's clever!!! Good design!!!

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hello

The specifications say:

• Bluetooth music receiver (audio play back via line-in)
  • Bluetooth music receiver (audio play back via line-in)

So it must have both.

Please refer to the following link, i think you'll like the product :-)

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/ug/BeoPlayA8/beoplayA8_guide_global_multi.pdf

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS