Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&0 S45 First series woofer....again

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

rmcpen
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rmcpen Posted: Thu, Jun 26 2014 1:19 AM

Hi I am new to b&o, mainly use vintage gear from the 70's (Luxman and Accuphase), always want to try some vintage b&o speakers.

I recently acquired an S45 (Series I - two way 8 inch woofer ) pair with non original woofers (visaton w200?!) and a  non original inside foam -  I think. I should be more careful next time :).

First, let me tell you all, I've searched this forum for the same subject and found a couple of threads, but manily inconclusive about the final results, just one person saying that some monacors play really good.

My thing is, I want them OEM. I am serching for used mid/bass and there seems some variations (rubber surrounds...black magnets..) for the same size woofer from that generation.

My question is, would it be okay to have that kind of woofer (just b&o 8Ohm - 8 inch), or I really must have my own series woofer on S45 Type I.

And can someone please tell me how it is supposed to be the inside foam ( I just have some white semi-rigid stuff all over like the ones we have on our pillows....very rigid and very very new, not consistent with age). Doesn't it should be yellow foam around the box like on classic british speakers?

Nevertheless, my impressions on my woofers are terrible, lack of all things a woofer should give - voice-bass etc.., but I can imagine this could be a great speaker for good companion on my office/bedroom if correctly restored to original or semi-original condition.

Really can't say why, but I really think it has some good potential to be "my perfect vintage speaker". Great design, classic "box" and really don't have that nasty 80's sound from other brands with same type of  box proportions. It makes me think about more vintage B&O gear.....

Thanks to all, 

Manuel

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 7:28 AM

Welcome to Beoworld !

You say it's two-way, which points to the 6427, the later model.
Can you tell us the type number (6302/6312/6427) found on the serial number label (at the back or underside)?
If the label is missing, can you tell us if the front grills are one or two-part ?

Martin

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 11:50 AM
I've had all three S-45 speakers and the second generation two ways were the least satisfying. They don't really hold up to the earlier three way versions.

I think within their bandwidth limits - not the very lowest bass - the older models compare favorably to my Vandersteen 2Ci speakers.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

rmcpen
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rmcpen replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 12:11 PM

Thanks!

Hope to stay a long time. This a brand I'm getting interested in. I have now an eye on a Beocenter 1900, maybe a "good starter" for these.

Yes, it is a late type one, supposedly the "not the good ones". So many versions I've made a mistake. Two parts grills. Should I change my topic?

I am still impressed with them, I supposed my expectations were very low with this kind of box proportions.

My avatar show the inside....I can post pictures of them, just don't know how :)

Marco

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I have here a pair of S45s 2 way speakers, within their limits, they are good sounding speakers. At the moment they are in store, but I have used them a lot for daily background music, they are easy on your ears and you wont get tired of listening to them. The 2 piece front gives them a elegant look, even ,more so with the original stands.

I had to change the foam surrounds on mine, and as far as I remember, the "fill" was a dark grey felt. I´m sure Martin (Dillen) will be able to help with woofer type and "fill" type. If not, I may open mine and check.

To upload pics: Resize your pics to 700 pixels wide and xxxlong, then they fit nicely to the forum page. I use Photobucket, upload my pics to there, when adding pics to a thread, I go to Photob. choose the pic, copy the direct link. In the thread, I click the film strip, then "from URL", and paste the link there.

Welcome to the forum, and beware of the BeoVirus

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

rmcpen
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rmcpen replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 6:56 PM

Just came across S35 woofers...would it be suitable??

rmcpen
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rmcpen replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 8:15 PM

Thanks! Easy to put photos in here.

After investigating a bit further on the internet photos, I've realized:

1 - The box has been "reversed", The original speakers hole have been "sealed" with wood on the inside and on the outside, the original sticker hides that tiny hole. And added two speaker terminals on the botom....

2- Maybe the reason is that the bottom veneer is really in bad shape...that's my only explanation....because like this they are in good shape....

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 2:46 PM

The cabinet is upside down in the photos with the leads sticking out.
The white stuffing looks original.

Martin

rmcpen
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rmcpen replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 5:06 PM

Thanks. Any though on the mid/bass replacement? Will an S35 will be good? What is the right way to put these buggers playing nicely?

Thanks

Manuel

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 10:09 PM

Beovox S35 is a completely different speaker.
There's nothing like the original drivers, really.
The speaker will not perform its best with something else.

Do you have the crossovers ?

Martin

rmcpen
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rmcpen replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 10:17 PM

Yes I have everything original with the exception of the woofers.

Crossover cap is original as well. I think it is ROE.

rmcpen
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rmcpen replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 10:20 PM

Yes I have, apart from the aftermarket speakers connections, "flipped box" and woofers, everything is original. And in good nick.

I have also the original stands, but "they're out" on a professional car paint shop. To give that "new" look only fresh paint will give.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS