Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BV 7-42 Picture issue + Standby light query

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

beokeith
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
beokeith Posted: Sat, May 5 2012 10:41 AM

Hello Beo experts (Beox's ?), I hope you can help me !

My set is circa 9 months old, I tend to watch mostly in HD via a Humax Fox HDR T2.

I  noticed that, occasionally, along the very top left hand half of the picture, a broken white line is visible. This line is very thin, right at the very top of the screen and is essentially line a series of dashes. It never appears on the top RHS or the base of the picture.

My dealer who initially said this was due to picture geometry and sent over an engineer. The engineer spent well over an hour checking the settings and then said that the problem was due to the way the picture has been transmitted and not a fault of the TV or it's set up. However I have noticed that increasingly  this line is visible  when viewing BBC channels, and the BBC is generally considered the gold standard of broadcasters. So has anyone else experienced this ? and is it possible to do anything about it ? 

My second query is hopefully simpler and unrelated. Sometimes when the set is in standby , i find in the morning that the standby light is flashing- the manual does not give an explanation for this so i have no idea what it means, any help wold be appreciated.

many thanks

beokeith
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
beokeith replied on Sat, May 5 2012 10:47 AM

Of course it is a BV 7-40

CJM1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member
CJM1 replied on Sat, May 5 2012 11:41 AM

^Are BV 7-40's unreliable?^

I think it could be something to do with the HDMI cable that you are using. i have had issues with things like this before. It could also be the connector on the Set top box. Its unlikely to be the one going into the BV because its so new

Langleyav
Top 500 Contributor
Windsor UK
Posts 226
Bronze Member
Langleyav replied on Sat, May 5 2012 12:43 PM

What you are seeing is a type of  "Time-Code"  inserted into the video waveform for syncronization purposes and usually removed by the receiver. Some digital receiver manufacturing companies completely remove it before the picture is displayed, other manufacturers do not. It is usually caused by not applying a full field blanking to the video waveform. Try a different digibox to see if there is any improvement,

Ron

beokeith
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Hi Ron,

I dont at this stage have another digibox to try so will have to borrow one first.

However if it is this synchorcoisation signal, is there a reason why i see it sometimes and not others , sometimes i see it and then is goes as the scene on the tv changes..the most obvious times being on news when they flick between studio and location shots.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, May 5 2012 1:14 PM

Hi beokeith,

I have a BV 7-40 3D (5 month old) with a Technisat ISIO and I have also noticed this thin broken white line on top left, but only on some channels and very rarely.

At the beginning this line appeared always after starting the BV 7 on dark screen until the picture of the Technisat appeared. But this was solved after installing the actual software (build 1105).

I asked my dealer if it is possible to push the picture a little bit up to solve this issue, but this is not possible.

Regards

Räuber

beokeith
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Hi Rauber,

so do you still experience the problem, and is the software build (1105) a B&O build ?

many thanks Beokeith

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, May 5 2012 2:31 PM
beokeith:

Hi Rauber,

so do you still experience the problem, and is the software build (1105) a B&O build ?

many thanks Beokeith

Hi Beokeith,

yes, but since software build 1105 not during startup of my BV 7-40 3D and my Technisat STB.

Software build 1105 is the actual software of Beovisions based on Beosystem 3 (see Wiki section of this forum).

/Räuber
tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

beokeith:
However if it is this synchorcoisation signal, is there a reason why i see it sometimes and not others , sometimes i see it and then is goes as the scene on the tv changes..the most obvious times being on news when they flick between studio and location shots.

It's not exactly a syncronization signal in the sense that it always needs to be there. What you are seeing is VITC (vertical interval time code) which encodes, among others, time & frame information into each video frame. It can be encoded in different positions in the video frame, and some of them can be visible on flat screen TVs which usually show the entire visible picture area, contrary to CRTs which are always adjusted so that the picture is overscanned.

Some source material may have it, others not (or in different position), so it's quite usual that you see it in news in only some particular shots. Usually it is only possible to see it in the uppermost half width TV line which is there due to interlacing and doesn't carry much real information, so many STBs clean it away while some don't. In short, nothing wrong with your TV.

--mika

dudley
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
dudley replied on Sat, May 5 2012 5:20 PM

I only had this problem when watching BBC1 on outside broadcast like when switching between tv news studio and the tv outside reporter, and this only happened when watching the tv via the Humax HDR-FOX T2 this problem never occurred with the BV7-40 3D tv with the Humax switched off.

To resolve this l changed the Video Resolution from 1080p to 720p using the V-FORMAT button on the Humax remote control and it did work for me l hope this helps.

beokeith
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
beokeith replied on Mon, May 7 2012 10:08 AM

Many thanks Gentlemen for this information. It looks then that this is a shortcoming of the Humax and not the Bv 7. I shall try the 780p setting just for interest, I have to say that the picture quality of 1080 is generally amazing ( the only flaw is slightly off skin tones when compared to my old Avant) ,so will probably revert and live with the white line from time to time.

Does anyone have a reason for the flashing standby light.

Many thanks

beokeith
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
beokeith replied on Mon, May 7 2012 10:08 AM

Many thanks Gentlemen for this information. It looks then that this is a shortcoming of the Humax and not the Bv 7. I shall try the 780p setting just for interest, I have to say that the picture quality of 1080 is generally amazing ( the only flaw is slightly off skin tones when compared to my old Avant) ,so will probably revert and live with the white line from time to time.

Does anyone have a reason for the flashing standby light.

Many thanks

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS