Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beo4/Lintronic or Harmony 900?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
Posts 206
Bronze Member
kokomo Posted: Sat, May 5 2012 12:27 PM

Now that economics have compelled me to other than B&O for my soon to arrive new TV, I've got this dilemma about how to control my equipment. I've already had to adopt the cheap plastic remote that came with my satellite box meaning I currently use my Beo4 for my Beovision (soon to be replaced) and my audio system and lighting. So that's 2 remotes, soon to be 3 with the new TV with its plastic remote.

I'd be very reluctant to say goodbye to my Beo4 so the advice I am seeking is of the two options, the LIntronic route or a universal remote such as the Harmony 900, which would be the 'better' option.

I'd willingly put up with some minor programming difficulties or other minor inconveniences if it meant I could retain the Beo4.

Has anyone experience of having tried both solutions?        

Thanks,

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Sat, May 5 2012 1:49 PM

I'd go for the lintronic - I have one and have been really pleased with it and the support is really good - I think you have to go a long way to find a Beo4 replacement

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Sat, May 5 2012 4:18 PM

Go for Lintronic, I use it and I'm very pleased with it.  In the wiki you'll find a lot of useful information

Hfat

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
Posts 206
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Sun, May 6 2012 8:54 AM

A big thanks to you both. When my new TV arrives and is set up, that's the way I will go. Can't imagine not picking up and feeling the wonderful Beo4. It's bad enough having to use the terrible, cheap plastic one I need for my sat' box!

Thanks again. 

Corvin
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Corvin replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:07 AM

yes Lintronic is the way, then you should be able to go back to the one remote again.

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Mon, May 7 2012 7:49 AM

I would definitly go for the lintronic solution !

You will be dissapointed with the Logitech, it doesn't matter which one of them you choose. In the begining when I started with my AV setup I used a Logitech too, but throwed it away after two or three weeks, because I had to recharge it 3 or 4 times during this time and because of the look and feel of it. It is and will be plastic !

With Lintronic you can keep your loved Beo4 and can control everything you want. I use the lintronic solution now for three months and everyday I'm happy about it. Ok, when starting up, you need time to understand what the lintronic solution can do and how it works, but after that you will enjoy it every time you take your Beo4 in your hands. Even if you have problems setting it all up, Michael of Lintronic will be of great help and on the forum there are people who are real experts on the -238.

I tried other solutions like oneremote or irtrans but nothing was so perfect as lintronic. The lintronic solution is not really cheap, but it's worth the price. You may have luck to get an older 5.1 version of the -238 for under 200€ on ebay. For me version 5.1 is ok, others need the new 6.1 version. You have to decide for yourself which way to go.

Will your new tv be a pana plasma ? Mine will be a pana plasma and I will use one of my -238 with it.

Regards

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Mon, May 7 2012 8:01 AM

I forgot to add one important thing about the Logitech solution:

All macros are excecuted from the remote so you have to point the remote some seconds on the equipment you want to control. What if the signal of the remote is weak and you don't reach all of you equipment ? Your TV may be turned on, but the set-top box doesn't get the signal in time, so you have to turn it on again. It's all hazzle.

With lintronic, all macro function will be executed in the 238. Nothing disturbes the execution and ir-signal is very strong. A little ir-emitter is e.g. glued on the set-top box, so you can't loose control of this box.

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 465
Bronze Member
Silou replied on Mon, May 7 2012 8:11 AM

The BEO4 is probably one of  the best product from this brand!

-> Of course Lintronic!!!

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
Posts 206
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Mon, May 7 2012 8:12 AM

Thanks again to all for the advice and comments and thanks also to you Martin. Good to hear the experiences of someone who has used a Harmony remote. I've never seen one in the 'flesh' or touched one but just in pictures they look  so plasticky.

I know the Lintronic route isn't cheap, but then it's worth it I think for the enthusiasm Michael has for his products and the advice he is always willing to give. The Beo4 is wonderful and, incidentally, when not in use it sits proudly in its chrome Lintronic table-top holder which still amazes me after all the time I've had it, in the elegant way it makes the Beo4 into even more of a piece of artwork. I'm so happy I bought this.

No Martin, not a Panasonic plasma. After months of frustrated research (and waiting for the V1 Play, I've decided to go for the new Toshiba 46YL863. Great reviews, except for not-so-good 3D which doesn't bother me at all, and a design by Jacob Jensen. In my own sad way it will make it a bit easier to say goodbye to owning B&O TVs after some 25 years if I can have a TV designed by a B&O design studio!.

If I can continue to use the Beo4 with it though and also control my B&O audio system and LC2s then I'll be happy I think.

Thanks again to all.   

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS