Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound Essence - First impression

rated by 0 users
This post has 59 Replies | 3 Followers

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Sep 6 2014 5:22 PM
Millemissen:

Note: there is now a description of the commands of a Beo4, when a ir-sensor is connected to the Essence-box, in the FAQ's on the B&O website.

But this is only an option for customers without any B&O-device in the same room.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That's right - but just in case someone is interested in this!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Raeuber:

Hi MM,

the informations in the FAQ only mention:

Modus 2 = Beo4 IR (RADIO)

But why RADIO and not A.AUX? And why it's not possible to sent an IR command to an audiomaster and a bluetooth signal to the Essence at the same time? What are all the software developers in Struer doing all day long?

Also the dealers know NOTHING about the different modi of the knob? So they can't sell any Essence to a customer with Video- and/or Audiomaster like me! Very annoying...

Greets

Räuber

I agree with your FRUSTRATION !!

And defaulting to [RADIO] is consistent with the history of B&O eyes - push them, and they start the radio stream

But that in a digital age is history ! But in theory always "on"

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

So let me see if I understand this 

1/ we can Operate the Essence with a beo4 ... Http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10017/kw/Essence%20modes

2/ we can set the Essence controller to imitate a Beo4 ... http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10014/kw/Essence%20modes

So if I take both steps I have the best of both worlds ?

edit

Or the worst of both worlds ? Only RADIO will work from the controller ?

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

2/ Unfortunately the 'imitation of a Beo4' is extremely limited.

Seem that it can only be used to trigger one event - e.g. if you.want a handy remote on the wall for quick access to your AudioMaster/Radio.

The only usefull situation, I can think of, is - when the Essence-box is connected (PL-out as line) to the analog-in (AV-Connector) of a V1/BV11..... - and you have the input configured as 'Radio'.

This would open the port on the V1/BV11.... to let you stream via the BeoMusic app/AirPlay directly without further control of a remote (Beo4).

But that can't be all!!!

There are three 'Modes' on the 'knob' described as 'for future use'. What is the concept???

MM

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Jun 7 2015 10:27 AM

The support page for the remote modes has been updated. No more "for future use"...

0 Bluetooth
- not paired
(factory default)
   Flashing  Off  Off  Off
 0 Bluetooth
- paired

BeoSound Essence

On

Off Off   Off
 1 BeoRemote One IR (BeoSound)  A sound system intended for use with BeoRemote One

Off

On

Off

Off

2 Beo4 IR (RADIO) A sound system intended for use with Beo4

Off

Off

On 

Off

3 ‘Light’ mode A Home Automation System

Off

Off

Off

On

4 Beo4 IR (BeoPlay) A sound system intended for use with Beo4
(BeoPlay)

Off

On

On

Off

5 BeoRemote One IR (BeoSound (2)) A second sound system intended for use with BeoRemote One

Off

On

Off

On

6 BeoRemote One IR (BeoSound  (3) ) A third sound system intended for use with BeoRemote One

Off

Off

On

On

7 BeoRemote One IR (BeoVision) A television intended for use with BeoRemote One

Off 

On

On

On

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Sun, Jun 7 2015 12:30 PM
Christophe:

The support page for the remote modes has been updated. No more "for future use"...

So No future for Bang & Olufsen ?!!? Huh?

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Jun 7 2015 7:48 PM

Laughing

No, simply no more reserved (and unknown) modes in the Essence remote...

driehoek
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
driehoek replied on Mon, Oct 12 2015 1:10 PM

I still don't understand this table. 

I understand that the remote can simulate different remotes, but what is the command that is simulated? Always radio?

e.g. If have a V1. If essence remote in IR mode is set to mode 4 (beoplay) will it simulate the radio command of my current remote? This would be classic analogue radio as V1 does not support net radio or TuneIn?

not possible to switch sources with the wheelie?

Would skip track and volume work?

what is difference between mode 2 and4? 

Should I contac pt beocare IR somebody experience with wheelie without essence in IR mode?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 12 2015 1:38 PM

I have found that document confusing also. On the Beointegration web page there is a second document entitled mapping. It provides a bit more information.

I am planning on ordering an Essence remote today and think I have figured out how it will work for me.

Current setup is Beosound 5 wall mounted connected to a BV7 in another room, and a BV10 in same room as BS5. BV7 is video master to allow timer function.

Thus spinning the wheel on the Beosound 5 starts the speakers in the other room, connected to the BV7. 

I will be mounting the Essence remote on the same wall in an old link eye opening using Settop Brackets adapter.

Reading the other document my understanding is:

short press will activate Radio which on BS 5 is assigned to Net Radio, long press will activate CD which is assigned to Net Music, and start Beosound 5 playing in that room, just as if I press a button on a Beo 4 while in that room.

Volume control on essence remote will then adjust volume in that room just as if using the Beo 4.

And I can select music on the Beosound 5, just as if I had turned system on with a Beo 4.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Razlaw

I assume, that you have no speakers connected directly to the BM5 - BS5 is in 'Option 0' then!?

Depending on which option your BV10 has, the 'wheely' in ir-mode will turn that on (or not).

Depending on, whether your BV10 is MLinked or not, there will come (Net)Radio or no sound from it.

Or maybe I did not understand your description of the setup correct?

Why not just use the Beo4???

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 12 2015 3:40 PM

Millemissen:

@Razlaw

I assume, that you have no speakers connected directly to the BM5 - BS5 is in 'Option 0' then!?

Depending on which option your BV10 has, the 'wheely' in ir-mode will turn that on (or not).

Depending on, whether your BV10 is MLinked or not, there will come (Net)Radio or no sound from it.

Or maybe I did not understand your description of the setup correct?

Why not just use the Beo4???

MM

You are correct, no speakers connected directly to the BM5 and BS5 is set to option 0.

BV10 is in option 6

BV10, BV7, and BM5/BS5  are all connected by Masterlink.

Yes, I could just use the Beo 4 and that is what I have been doing. The Essence remote is somewhat of just wanting a new B and O toy, with a  little added ease of use.

If I am walking through the room, I can press the Essence Remote and turn music on. If I want to select a specific track I am right there at the Beosound 5. 

Also, am hoping that a long press off on the Essence Remote will turn both rooms off when I have both on. I have an old link ey on the wall and do occasionally use it to turn entire system off although it serves no other purpose. It was installed in the room along with an active kit before I had a tv in the room.

My plan is to replace the link eye with an Essence Remote using the Settop Brackets adapter and gain a little functionality above the ole link eye.

Am I missing something? Do you see any problems with my plan?

Thanks!

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Which ir-mode do you want to use?

The ir will activate the playback/control volume on the BV10 - touching the wheel of the BS5 will however activate the BV7 for playback etc.

Is that what you want?

Long press-turn all off will be fine, as far as I know.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 12 2015 5:45 PM
Millemissen:

The ir will activate the playback/control volume on the BV10 - touching the wheel of the BS5 will however activate the BV7 for playback etc.

Is that what you want?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Yes. What you describe is exactly what I want. ir mode 2. If I am reading the mapping document correctly on the Beointegration page, short press will activate radio (N. Radio on my BS5) and long press will activate cd (N. Music on my BS5)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 12 2015 5:49 PM
Millemissen:

Is that what you want?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

May have misread what you wrote and responded incorrectly in last post. I want to activate the BV10 room with the Essence Remote. Currently, if I turn the BS5 on, with the Beo 4 in the room with the BV 10 and BS5, I can then use the BS5 to select music in that room, without turning on the BV7 room. I want to do the same with Essence. Turn on on via Essence remote and then select music on the BS5, without the other room turning on, just as it works now with the Beo 4.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Your sentence

'The Essence remote is somewhat of just wanting a new B and O toy'

now makes perfectly sense!

Happy playing ;-))

MM

osandner
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Hi guys, just for info, the Beosound Essence has a IR eye and reacts to the Beo4 too, so its very possible that the BeoTime also works.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Fri, Mar 23 2018 7:21 AM

elephant:
CB:
In fact, it's not just a plate where you will plug the initial knob, it's a plate plus a new knob !

FYI, the 2 knobs are identical, and the first one can be plugged into the plate as well.

You make an interesting point. Buy a wall unit and make one's own plate !
Lounging on the bay, this offer caught my attention...

Idea

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That is a really good option to the two official mounting solutions.

I like it!

Thanks for spotting.

MM

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

That‘s my solution with a piece of wood you may obtain at any carpenter’s shop ...

Peter the biker

Page 2 of 2 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS