Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 9000 Troubleshooting Play

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

jDiLi
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
jDiLi Posted: Sat, Aug 2 2014 11:26 PM

Hello, 

I have a Beocord 9000 that seems to be in good shape. 

Forward and rewind work fine.  The belts seem to be intact and the rubber wheels look ok from what I can see. 

The problem is when I hit play, it plays for a split second and then stops. 

It appears the take-up spindle isn't turning and the tape starts to get loose and this shuts it down.

I made two videos showing both the tape side and the belt side..

http://vimeo.com/102422069

http://vimeo.com/102422011

Any ideas what the problem could be?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 8:46 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have recently gone through four Beocord 8004 and four Beocord 9000 decks. So far I have two of each type completed and working well.  In the restored units it was a mixture of electronic and mechanical repair necessary.  If your belts look to be in good shape that is a very good sign because over half of mine must have been in long term storage where the conditions resulted in melted belts. So it sounds like your deck was, at least, stored in a good place.  Still, if you have good mechanical skills, I would recommend disassembling the cassette chassis to clean and lubricate everything. Also check the clutch assembly for the usual cracks (see posts here).  You can't really tell, by inspection, if the idler wheels are good. I had a couple of wheels that looked like they had good rubber but the fast forward on the decks wouldn't operate correctly. The problem ended up being the idler wheel (see the posts here). Once the cassette assembly is checked out good, you can recheck the functionality of the deck again.  If there is still a problem, it could very likely be electrical. Things to check at that point are solder connections (in particular where connectors attach the the circuit boards) and various components (looking for bad electrolytic capacitors, burned components, etc.).  

One quick check to make regarding play, fast forward and rewind...
With the deck lid open in the service position, you can hold down the spring switch (in the back, center of the cassette tray) to fool the deck into thinking a cassette is inserted.  In that position, try the play and fast forward and see if those functions work.  You can also start the rewind that way but it will stop right away, while play and fast forward will keep going.

-sonavor

jDiLi
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
jDiLi replied on Wed, Aug 6 2014 3:59 PM

Thanks for your reply Sonavor. 

I was just trying holding the spring without a tape inserted and found that FF works and REW works and then stops (as you described).
When I press play, the pinch roller comes in contact to the spindle and begins to spin but neither of the sprockets turn.  
So it seems I need to find what parts engage the play sprocket and look there?

I'm about to disassemble and clean what I can. 

jDiLi
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
jDiLi replied on Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:39 PM

Here is a video of what looks to be the problem.

http://vimeo.com/102737780

That wheel looks like it's supposed to contact both the spinning white cylinder and the shaft of the play sprocket.
It's loose and seems to be held in by springs.
I'm currently trying to figure out how to get to it.  

jDiLi
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
jDiLi replied on Wed, Aug 6 2014 5:00 PM

It's a little hard to photograph but it appears the white plastic that holds the wheel to the metal cylinder beneath it is broken.

jDiLi
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
jDiLi replied on Wed, Aug 6 2014 7:33 PM

Ok, a little super glue and that wheel is back in place.  
Now when I hit play, that wheel presses against the spinning white cylinder on the left and turns.
There is still no movement from the play sprocket (right side), in fact, I fail to see any mechanical connection between the two. 
It seems like that wheel should be turning something else. 

Is there a mechanical diagram somewhere that would explain how the play function is supposed to work? 

The service manual is just focused on the electronics.

jDiLi
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
jDiLi replied on Thu, Aug 7 2014 10:42 PM

Well,  it just started working all of a sudden.  Not sure why.  I've been listening to tapes all morning.
The sound quality is pretty phenomenal compared to my other decks.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS