Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to start with B & O

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Gilly
Not Ranked
Brisbane, Australia
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Gilly Posted: Mon, May 7 2012 1:08 PM

Just wondering what would be a good equipment that can be controlled by BEO4 , works like a receiver for my Cona subwoofer, 2x CX100 and 2x CX50. And allowing me to play different songs in different rooms at same time.

Thanks

Gilly 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

guicamacho:
allowing me to play different songs in different rooms at same time.

The whole concept of the MasterLink was to play the SAME music in multiple rooms.

So for different songs for different rooms with your passive speakers I think the most economical path is too look at a vintage B&O system in each room.

But at some point you need to think about moving to the new world with wireless access from each room to the central server of songs.  This would probably mean replacing your speakers, unless you wanted to invest in a Beoactive amplifier for each room that operated in PC mode, and was connected to something like an Airport Express.

Another option that I am not qualified to comment on is Sonos .... I don't know if that would attached B&O passive speakers ............

BeoNut since '75

Gilly
Not Ranked
Brisbane, Australia
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Gilly replied on Mon, May 7 2012 2:05 PM

What vintage would you recommend since as I said before Im just starting with B&O

Thanks

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

It depends what design you like and what mediums you need for playback or recording.

Do you play vinyl?

Do you play/record cassetes?

Do  you listen/record radio?

Do you play cd's?

A need for Iphone and os forth

All of the above, none of the above or just 1 thing, 2 things?

Lastly do you have space? Some vintage B&O can take up quite a bit.

Gilly
Not Ranked
Brisbane, Australia
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Gilly replied on Mon, May 7 2012 4:39 PM

No vinyl, no cassetes.

I do listen to radio and play CDs as well.

Iphone "input" would be great.

Space I have an empty room just for it.

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

That could mean:

A Beomaster and a CD player.

BM5500,6500,7000 Beo4 can work and you can get good matching cd players. I had the 6500.

BM6000/BM8000 old classics early '80s with CDX. A great combination though to old for Beo4 unless you find a complete rare converter kit. I use this system myself

BM4500 + CD4500 Beo4 friendly. With only 2 units space is not a problem

BM3000/3300 + CD3300 non Beo4

Both 4500 and 3300 can be wall hanged

Beocenter 8500,9500 and 9300 fully controlled by Beo4 or Beolink 1000

Beosounds too .

Beocenters and most Beosounds have build cassette players.

If Beo4 is not important any Beomaster would fit and for Iphone they always have an aux type input.

If its an pre 1986 Beomaster the cd player would be the CDX. Post 1986 like system 6500 you get the units joined together with Beolink 1000/Beo4 and it sounds good + lots of connection options. You can always upgrade too.

Gilly
Not Ranked
Brisbane, Australia
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Gilly replied on Mon, May 7 2012 5:47 PM

I ve seen a beocenter 9500 on ebay. Might give it a go then!

How about controlling lights from a Beo4? Just realized that B&O exists when I went to my godfathers place, he has everything controlled by remote, in the toilet if you wanna change music, only aim to the speaker and it changes the music. How does that work?

Sorry about my questions but its just too much stuff to learn at once!

Thanks!

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

Controlling lights could be done with Beolink 1000 and Beo4 can control lights and a whole loot of other things just check list or ad to list. You will see what I mean.

The lights would need the LC1/2 units and power saving lights do not work. They come with an eye and is installed via the Beomaster/Beocenter were the light information is being stored.

Speakers in another room is done by the now old master link or mcl link which came first. The mcl Xtra speakerkit for Beovox passive or Beolab active speakers consist of a smal box with an eye for the remote. In any room you put up the speakers and the box + tranciver eye then 1 wire out to next room or Beomaster. It works well and I have done it. I had a Couple of Beovox CX100 in the kitchen and whatever I wanted to control with the Beosystem 6500 with sound from th CX's I could do with the usual B&O one touch to do anything kind of system.

The downside to the MCL system is that you might adjust the volume in all rooms if you reach a certain level of loudness.

In fact you don't really aim at speakers but the tranciver eye but once installed you don't have to point as much as it is that good to catch the remote signals.

Gilly
Not Ranked
Brisbane, Australia
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Gilly replied on Mon, May 7 2012 6:38 PM

Even if I use vintage B&O equipment does it still being better sound quality than a bose sytem or a regular home theater (2012 model)

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

To B&O fans part of it is the experience of it.

Once you get used to it, you will notice why B&O is different.

Old B&O, vintage B&O and new B&O all sounds great. There are a few not so good products and the older stuff might need a service to work right but it is always worth it in the end.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, May 7 2012 10:09 PM

The downside of using MCL (which is what your Godfather has) is that the SAME song is simultaneous available in ALL rooms.   You said you wanted to have different music concurrently in different rooms.

The BEOTECH site has lots of details on the differences between Actives and Passives, and what the wiring options are between different systems, and which remotes work with which systems: http://www.beotech.com

For an understanding of the different families of systems, and their relative performance use the Jarman brother's site: http://beocentral.com/

Another fan site dedicated to vintage is http://beophile.com/?page_id=1644

BeoNut since '75

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, May 7 2012 10:43 PM

Gilly:

And allowing me to play different songs in different rooms at same time.

Thanks

I think Beocenter 9500 linked with a Beolab 3500, but is that possible since BC9500 has no Masterlink?

Brengen & Ophalen

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Wed, May 9 2012 3:05 PM

Depends what you mean by 'better' sound quality. More natural it almost certainly is, without extra boost to bass and treble regions but if you like your bose sound or find you use graphic equalizers a lot then you might take some re-adjusting to the flatter sound of B&O, I certainly did!

What do you think of the system you have heard already?

Gilly:

Even if I use vintage B&O equipment does it still being better sound quality than a bose sytem or a regular home theater (2012 model)

Olly

beopaul
Not Ranked
Posts 83
Bronze Member
beopaul replied on Wed, May 9 2012 5:01 PM
Leslie:

I think Beocenter 9500 linked with a Beolab 3500, but is that possible since BC9500 has no Masterlink?

There's a box you can buy that lets you drive masterlink through the BeoCenter's AUX line. That's what I have at home. It's called a beolink converter.
Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:44 AM

Or to use some of beocenter's speakers input capability to play different outputs through 2 pairs of speaker (such vintage BC3500) and do we really need to move into all wireless and airport stuff Unsure I'm quiet happy to have different system in each room (the collection need space to live life to its fullest ;)  - but in fairness I'm not really qualified to answer any of that... it's down to personal taste and preferences I suppose.

elephant:

guicamacho:
allowing me to play different songs in different rooms at same time.

The whole concept of the MasterLink was to play the SAME music in multiple rooms.

So for different songs for different rooms with your passive speakers I think the most economical path is too look at a vintage B&O system in each room.

But at some point you need to think about moving to the new world with wireless access from each room to the central server of songs.  This would probably mean replacing your speakers, unless you wanted to invest in a Beoactive amplifier for each room that operated in PC mode, and was connected to something like an Airport Express.

Another option that I am not qualified to comment on is Sonos .... I don't know if that would attached B&O passive speakers ............

Don't worry - be Happy

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 7:14 AM

beopaul:
Leslie:

There's a box you can buy that lets you drive masterlink through the BeoCenter's AUX line. That's what I have at home. It's called a beolink converter.

Off course, I should have known that Embarrassed. You mean those black converter box like 1611 etc. So ML (Beolink 3500) converted to MCL (BC9500)?

Brengen & Ophalen

AdiS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
AdiS replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:15 AM

you can use BeoLab LCS 9000 (the first version) or BeoLab 3500 MK I (the older version) with BeoCenter 9500 - because LCS 9000 and first BeoLab 3500 have MCL-socket next to masterlink!

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 7:36 AM

AdiS:

you can use BeoLab LCS 9000 (the first version) or BeoLab 3500 MK I (the older version) with BeoCenter 9500 - because LCS 9000 and first BeoLab 3500 have MCL-socket next to masterlink!

Will check mine, never knew about MCL-socket in a Beolab 3500, thanks!

Brengen & Ophalen

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS