Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

rx2 tracking problem??

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

rogerfederer
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
rogerfederer Posted: Sun, Aug 24 2014 3:12 PM

I'm visiting a friend and trying to get his rx2 running. He has a somewhat recently purchased soundsmith smmc4 cart. Is is hard to get the tone arm to float but I am pretty sure I have the tracking force properly set at 1.4 grams (I emailed mark at soundsmith and he supplied the VTF number). 

I also have tried several of the anti-skate settings... So what is the problem, you ask?

It will cue up fine but once the tone arm sits down in the groove it won't advance into the record. If I use the cueing feature and set the tone arm down several tracks into the LP once the stylus hits the groove the arm skitters back to the beginning of the side.

The suspension of the cart may be damaged. The stylus rides pretty low and it is not straight up and down. Instead it is angled in towards the inner groove (like this.../....).

From reading old threads one possibility is the suspension is compromised and the stylus can't grip the record grooves properly (does that make sense?). Another is that the anti-skate is way off. Or both...

Would love any suggestions. Thanks!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Aug 24 2014 3:59 PM

If the cantilever is not parallel to the cartridge housing, the suspension is damaged or the cantilever bent.
In both cases tracking will suffer.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Here a nearly new SMMC4 playing, check the distance between record and cartridge

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

rogerfederer
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

thanks for the photo!

this smmc4 is definitely riding lower/closer to the LP surface than the one shown in your photo; so that points to the cartridge suspension

just in case the antiskate is also an issue, i am looking at page 5-4 of the service manual.  i am not sure where to find the adjustment depicted there. any ideas?

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

It's on the bottom.  You should try to set it without flipping over the turntable.  3 settings: for MMC 1-2,  3-4,  and 5.  You should probably set it to MMC-5 because your tracking force (1.4g) more closely matches the setting for an MMC-5 (1.5g) than for an MMC 3-4 (1.2g)

rogerfederer
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

thanks!  i do have it set to mmc5.  there is some adjustment described in the service manual to adjust the anti-skate, which is different from that pointer/needle thing on the bottom of the deck.

rogerfederer
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Thanks all the advice.  Unfortunately my vacation is ending and I have not been able to repair my friends rx2.  

Can anyone recommend an affordable b&o repair place in the US?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Before sending the whole TT for repair, send the cartridge to Soundsmith for repair.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Under warranty, preferably.

rogerfederer
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

good advice!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS