Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1102 return problems

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Theguitarsmith
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
Theguitarsmith Posted: Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:31 AM

Hi, newbie to the forum.

I've had a Beogram 1102 for a few years and am just setting it up so that I can actually use it. I've had the stylus re-tipped, and the system sounds superb. I'm having problems, though, with the return on the tone arm. When playing a record the arm travels across and drops down onto the record perfectly. When returning having played the record, though, the arm does not seem to lift at all, and instead drags my new stylus tip across the surface of the record! 

I've downloaded the service manual but it does not appear that there is a way to adjust how high the arm lifts on return.

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Mark

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:38 AM

Welcome to Beoworld!

Search the forum and the archived forum (top right tab).

I had a similar problem with a 1200. It turned out that the tip of one of the brass sliders (under the platter and the disk below driven by the belt) had been bent, probably at the time of manufacture/ assembly. Straightening it out got rid of my particular fault which was a snatching back of the tone arm without lifting, just before a record had finished.

Graham

Theguitarsmith
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Graham,

Before I take the thing apart would that be the piece described on the exploded view in the manual as the "lifting arm". The name would make sense!

Theguitarsmith
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

OK I've got the bottom off and the lifting arm seems to move backwards/forwards, activated by a cam slot in the drive, and lifting the "lifting bar". What I can't see is how the movement is activated as the deck is upside down.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 7:53 PM

I am working from memory from many many years back so I may remember things incorrectly. To the best of my recollection once the belt drive secondary platter is removed you can see a number of brass guides that are odd shapes and can slide over each other. These monitor the position of the tone arm and cause it to lift and move back at the end of a record.

Maybe one of our regular repair experts can add to this..... or even suggest other possibilities.

Graham

Edit

Looking at the manuals on the main site there are some differences between the 1102 and 1200 series Beograms. The 1102 may have an open flywheel structure below the platter rather than the solid wheel on the 1200's.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 9:39 PM

The most common problem spot when these decks won't raise the tonearm is this:
The brass pin has seized in dried lubricants inside the brrass tube.
The tonearm will lower but only raise very slowly or not at all.
Add a drop of acid-free oil (sewingmachine oil) and work it a little up and down or let
it soak in overnight (or a bit longer).

Martin

Theguitarsmith
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Martin,

When looking under the deck earlier I did suspect that this might be the problem. I will sort out some light oil tomorrow and give it a good soak, then feed back and let you know if it has done the trick. 

Thanks for the photo, too, which is perfect!

Cheers,

Mark

Theguitarsmith
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Martin,

Problem solved and Beogram now performing exactly as it should. Turns out that the arm was actually permanently in its down position, so I've made some adjustments (as per the manual) and all is now spot on.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS