Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocenter 2002 tonearm issue

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

adsman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
adsman Posted: Sat, Sep 13 2014 1:29 AM

Hey all,

My Beocenter 2002 restoration saga continues. Before I drag this down to the local B&O service center here in Melbourne I just thought I'd throw this problem out there to see if any of you can help.

History of this saga:

Man sees old Beocenter in junk shop that is the same as his father had. Man purchases unit after much crazed haggling with demented shop owner

Man realises that he knows nothing about turntables. Upon research he discovers that the cartridge is stuffed. Cartridge is ordered from Soundsmith. Cartridge arrives and man is happy. Cartridge instructions go into long detail of how to adjust the counterweight. Man discovers that there is no counterweight on his tonearm. Man despairs.

Man posts on this forum pleading for help. A very kind forum person sells man complete tonearm with counterweight which arrives from the other side of the world. Man is happy once again. Counterweight is installed as per instructions and this is where I am at right now ...

You see, before I attached the counterweight the tonearm tracked perfectly, in so much as it moved across to the record, lowered itself and played. Now with the counterweight attached it moves across, hovers there for a moment, (taunting me), and then moves back to its starting position while the turntable continues to spin. So this is my problem and the question I am asking for help with - how do I get the tonearm to lower onto the record? What has changed in attaching the counterweight? Will Australia beat India in the cricket at home this season?

Any help is appreciated before I drag this down to the service center. I would so like to go out and purchase my first decent record.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Sep 13 2014 12:08 PM

Pickup cartridge fitted ?
Tracking force correctly set  (1.2-1.5grams depending on stylus type)?

Martin

adsman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
adsman replied on Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:12 PM

I worked it out. There is a tiny little lever on the back of the tonearm at the base. I had that set all the way over to one side so the stylus wouldn't rest on the surface of the unit when not playing. I did this when it didn't have a counterweight and then forgot about it. I set that to 12 o'clock, reset the counterweight and it works!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS