Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

S60 or Beovox flat panel

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew Posted: Sat, Sep 13 2014 5:00 PM

Hi

I have some S60's which I have mounted on the wall and they sound great, but visually I was thinking some of the flat panel speakers may look better - has anyone experience of the Beovox/lab 4500 speaker or 5000's - they are connected to a Beomaster 6500. I'd be interested in thoughts as if I the S60's are better I was considering maybe getting a receiver from the same period

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sat, Sep 13 2014 5:11 PM

I have Beolab 4500 and 5000's.  In my opinion they will blow your S60's away.  No hesitation in recommending the flat panels - especially the 5000's. Get some flat panels for your BM6500 and use the S60's on a different system.

Dave.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Sat, Sep 13 2014 7:05 PM

Dave Farr:
 In my opinion they will blow your S60's away.
I would strongly disagree!. If you look at the specs, size of drivers, number of drivers, cabinet volume etc. it easy to understand why.

Also if listening to them the bass of the S60 goes much deeper and is more controlled.

//Bo.
A long list...

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Sep 13 2014 9:18 PM

Having had both, I would have the S60s, though the outwardly similar S75 is better still. 

Peter

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Sat, Sep 13 2014 9:27 PM

Peter:
the outwardly similar S75 is better still.
Also having the S75 I can confirm that.

//Bo.
A long list...

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Dave Farr:

I have Beolab 4500 and 5000's.  In my opinion they will blow your S60's away.  No hesitation in recommending the flat panels - especially the 5000's. Get some flat panels for your BM6500 and use the S60's on a different system.

Dave.

To confuse you more, I wuold confirm Daves opinion. Bo is right only if you like strong bas but having S60, BV3000, BL4500 and BV5000 for some time for me are all 3 flat panels sound nicer as s60. All tested for hours on my beosystem 4500.

Maybe my pair of S60 need to be recap but as they all are (nothing changed on them) flats are also my favorite.

And the optics talks also for flats, I think ...

So at the moment 2-2 Wink

BR,

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:04 PM

the_o_master:

Dave Farr:

Dave.

And the optics talks also for flats, I think ...

So at the moment 2-2 Wink

BR,

Theomaster

Not really, 3-2 for the moment. Beolab 4500 on my Beosytem 4500, Beolab 5000 on Beosystem 7000 and S80 on BM4400. Flatpanels wins, just a matter of personal taste.

Brengen & Ophalen

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 1:13 AM
No love for the P45?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:
No love for the P45?

Oh yes, they are the favorite of my panels, sounding better than my BV 3000

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 8:49 AM

Hi Bo and thanks for your opinions.

Speakers always create a bit of discussion - that's what a forum is for after all.

I don't think you can just rely on published specifications.  If we did that, the MMC1,2 and 3 would all be the same or thereabouts and we all know they aren't.  That's a whole other thread and discussion.

Speakers are so dependant on placement, a persons personal taste and their hearing.  I don't like too much bass, others do, I may play more classical music than others who prefer hard rock (which I do also like).  Then, speaker choice becomes important as some speakers are more appropriate for different uses, different sized rooms and the placement of speakers and the listener.

Am I supposed to be impressed by a company offering a speaker that can produce over 20,000 Hz when I can only hear up to 13,000 Hz!  I played a quad channel test record with a range of signals and was shocked at my range limit when compared to my son.  I hear complete silence and he's wincing at the sound!  That's why I don't rely on specs and prefer to listen and make a decision.

The flat panel speakers rely on a wall to help with the sound and the BL series are active which brings them into a different realm than some passives.

My suggestion to the OP is to get some active BL's and try them.  At worst, reinstate the S60's, sell the BL's or use with a different system.

Dave.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 9:32 AM

I agree with you - I am at about 13kHz myself now! The most important part of a speaker these days is the midrange which is why I like my LS3/5As - no bass and no treble but stunning reproduction of the human voice! (Bass improved via AB1 subwoofers). 

Speakers are very subjective and I agree that one should really listen first. Tricky when talking about old speakers though. We did do a test in Newcastle some years ago with 5000s against a range of other speakers and I liked them though they came last in the listening test. Darren kindly gave me a pair though I confess to having lent them to my dentist. I gave my S60s to Tim some years ago - he recapped them and they apparently sound better though they never sounded as good as my S75s. 

Being pedantic, the wall speakers are not active, only amplified though there is a  frequency boosting circuit that ratchets up the bass depending on the level of input at 1000Hz. IMHO, wall mounted 4000s sound better though I do have 3000s in my hall.

Peter

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 9:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies, certainly food for thought - the main problem I am having is that I cant have too much bass as I live in a flat - part of the reason why I wall mounted the S60's, having done that I then thought about the aesthetics.

I'll try and listen to a pair if I can before committing to buy - problem with ebay is that you cant hear them first! which is why this forum is great

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS