Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to integrate oppo 103D into my B@O system

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

BeoJunkie
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
BeoJunkie Posted: Sun, Sep 14 2014 10:35 PM
Hi guys!

I know beoworld has been vey pleased with the oppo DVD players. I'm finally getting one and was wondering about how the setup would go. I want to take advantage of the processing and I'm not sure of the set up. My configuration is as follows

Oppo103D

Beovision 4 plasma

Beosystem 3

Sharp projector for cinema mode

Beolab 5's , 3's, 10 for center

Sat box

Apple TV

If I want to run sat and Atv through oppo how would I do that ? I'm also using beo6 for control. Not to mention can I output to projector or would that mean I would be giving up one of my other sources? I would appreciate any advice.

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 11:07 PM
BeoJunkie:

Hi guys!

I know beoworld has been vey pleased with the oppo DVD players. I'm finally getting one and was wondering about how the setup would go. I want to take advantage of the processing and I'm not sure of the set up. My configuration is as follows

Oppo103D

Beovision 4 plasma

Beosystem 3

Sharp projector for cinema mode

Beolab 5's , 3's, 10 for center

Sat box

Apple TV

If I want to run sat and Atv through oppo how would I do that ? I'm also using beo6 for control. Not to mention can I output to projector or would that mean I would be giving up one of my other sources? I would appreciate any advice.

Why would you run it through the oppo instead of just putting the oppo on the system as a DVD?
BeoJunkie
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
BeoJunkie replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:25 PM
The oppo supposedly has some of the best up scaling on the market. I've read on beo world some avant users are bypassing avant up scaling and using the opoo's
Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 9:02 PM
But there is no need to connect Apple TV or Sat settop box to an Oppo for upscaling, because Beosystem 3 is (only) ready to receive 1080p/i (or lower resolution) and then will send to BV 4.

So I agree with mjmedlo: "Why would you run it through the oppo instead of just putting the oppo on the system as a DVD?"

Regards

Räuber
erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Tue, Sep 16 2014 7:28 AM
The Oppo 103D will upscale ( at least apply the marvell chip correction) any SD sources connected in the HDMI IN socket.

If you watch an normal TV show, like the news, you will have a benefit if you pass through the OPPO ( connect the hdmi out of the decoder in the hdmi in of the oppo). It does really a good job, not miraculous, but the difference is there and visible.

The problem is how to make all this work with the beo4....
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sure the D will do its job (let's call it upgrading, not upscaling).

But the problem is, that you won't be able to PUC control the sources this way.

In the end one will have to choose either the benefits of the Marvell chip or the convenience of the Beo4/PUC controlling.

With a Beo5/6 it should be possible to control the BV/the OPPO/the ATV etc through makros....

...if you know how to program these.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Tue, Sep 16 2014 10:10 AM

Hi BeoJunkie,

This is a very valid question and I went down the same route as my excellent DVD/BR-player in my 7-55 mkII went out the door with it. The Avant needed a disc player and my projector could no longer be connected to the TV. Let me start by saying that can you can use the 103d as intended, but there are a few but's:

You would like to change the HDMI OUT's from video on HDMI Out 1 only and audio on HDMI 2 Out only to dual displays on the OPPO, but only HDMI 1 Out feature the fancy video processing - so you will have to make a choice here. You can of course route the HDMI 1 Out through the BS3, but then you will get the picture processing of the BS3 added to the signal. I don't think you want that for your projector? I have picked up an HDMI splitter, but haven't tried this yet. I guess you will assign different PUC #'s on each input but use the same HDMI? This can't be done on the Avant, so in order to upscale/upgrade, say, the cable-box connected to the OPPO, you will have to route the HDMI 1 Out to the assigned "DTV" HDMI input of the Avant and state that the corresponding PUC # use the cable-box codes. Then, HDMI 2 Out will have to be routed to the Avant assigned as "DVD" and controlled by the corresponding PUC #. This is not a great setup because you loose out on the digital video processing of the OPPO when watching a disc AND you can't use the projector. I ended up routing the OPPO 103d HDMI 1 Out to the TV using it as a "DVD" since the OPPO features 1080p sources such as Netflix and YouTube - and I get the added upgrading of discs. The HDMI 2 Out is routed to the projector.

My B&O dealer suggested simply unplugging the HDMI 1 Out when I used the projector, but swapping cables is not my cup of TV coming from the 7-55 where this was much more elegant.

To avoid some of the but's I would recommend looking into an HDMI splitter.

Btw, I got the "B&O" version of the OPPO via my B&O dealer and OPPO UK - it comes without any OPPO logos on the screen. Neat.

Sorry for the confusing post, it was quite obvious when I sat there with the floor covered by cables :)

Roger

BeoJunkie
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
BeoJunkie replied on Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:48 PM

Thank you Roger, My best friend who is also a collector of B&O agrees with you regarding the splitter.  You are a gentlemen sir, enjoy your system.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS