Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Amplifiers Beolab 3000 and Beolab 5000

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig Posted: Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:09 AM

Dear members,

are the amplifiers of the Beolab 3000 and the Beolab 5000 panel speakers identical?

Thanks!

Greetings,

Kai

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:19 PM

The 3000 has a slighly different frequency compensation circuit to make up for the lack of the second bass driver. The difference is just one resistor (I can't remember which one of them had it).

--mika

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Thanks very much. Can one modify the Beolab 3000 amp to match the original Beolab 5000 amp? Stated differently: is it possible to swap a let's say defective Beolab 5000 amp section against a modified one of a pair of Beolab 3000s? The latter are much easier to obtain.

Where's the crossover located in these speakers by the way?

Greetings, Kai

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 2:16 PM

Manbearpig:
Thanks very much. Can one modify the Beolab 3000 amp to match the original Beolab 5000 amp? Stated differently: is it possible to swap a let's say defective Beolab 5000 amp section against a modified one of a pair of Beolab 3000s? 

Yes it is, and the difference is quite easy to find in the schematics (if you can't find it, you will need someone else to do the modification anyway, if you don't mind me saying - it's probably an SMD resistor so the job will need some skill).

Manbearpig:
Where's the crossover located in these speakers by the way?

Inside the passive speaker part. The difference in the amps is not related to the actual speaker crossover, the amp doesn't know which speaker it is driving. I believe many people have swapped amps between 3000s and 5000s without actually knowing that they are different.

--mika

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 2:26 PM

In my BL3000 amps the resistor is a regular axial resistor that is soldered in and then one leg is cut off.

Don't know if this is the case for all amps, though..

/  Johan

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 4:57 PM

Johan:

In my BL3000 amps the resistor is a regular axial resistor that is soldered in and then one leg is cut off.

Don't know if this is the case for all amps, though..

OK, in that case it would be rather easy to restore it to the 5000 incarnation as you don't even need to source a missing resistor. I suspect they all would be like that, as it easier in mass production to just assemble all the boards the same way and later snip a connection if you're actually putting a 3000 together.

--mika

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 5:37 PM

I very much doubt that you would notice the difference - I would get it running and see what you think. If you think there is too much bass at low volumes (unlikely in my view) then attack the resistor.

Peter

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Thanks very much for all the replies. Helps me a lot.

Cheers, Kai

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:07 PM

tournedos:

OK, in that case it would be rather easy to restore it to the 5000 incarnation as you don't even need to source a missing resistor. I suspect they all would be like that, as it easier in mass production to just assemble all the boards the same way and later snip a connection if you're actually putting a 3000 together.

Yes, I would suspect that's how they did.

So, making a it a BL 5000 amp would just mean bending that resistor (R231 if I remember correctly) into position and solder the leg back together.

/  Johan

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:55 PM

Interesting and good to know..

Brengen & Ophalen

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS