Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What did I receive today?

rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr Posted: Fri, Sep 19 2014 3:36 PM

Some of you will already know the answer to this question as it's been mentioned recently.  However, after a false start yesterday when Cretinpost - sorry, Chronopost, tried to deliver it to the wrong address, then abandoned it at the post office having left the delivery note either at the wrong address or not at all!  I found out where it was this morning via a scrambled internet search and rushed round to the PO to collect my small box:

Not my legs but the nice lady at the PO.

Back home on tenterhooks to open it up:

What a lot of chips and a gift for my BG4000.  But not the main prize:

This should be a clue:

This nice man sent me something I've been after for a long time.  Let's have a closer look:

A box in a box but there's more underneath:

And then some more!

My goodness, this guy knows how to safely pack things!

OK, that's the last piece out of the box.  Proper unwrapping time:

I don't remember ordering any Tupperware!  Maybe it's a lid for something.

That's more like it.  But what will it sit on?

Looks a bit like a Beogram.

Looks a lot like a Beogram - not any old one, a Beogram 3000 Thorens TD124MKII.  I am a lucky boy!

And here is some of the other stuff that came with it:

An Axel re-tipped SP14 with spherical nude diamond (Gold stylus was an eBay purchase previously).

The usual detailed booklet and user manual from Frede.  The figures are really impressive:

Speed variation: 0.1% (Thorens spec: 0.15%)

Wow: 0.05% 5thorens spec: 0.2%)

Flutter: 0.01% (Thorens spec: 0.14%)

Rumble: -39 dB (Thorens spec: -35 dB)

Calibration and set-up details.

In-situ having replaced the BG4000 I was using.

The motor is absolutely silent, the speed is completely stable once adjusted and the sound is magnificent.  Real clarity and detail.  Some of the pictures are a little shaky as I was so excited at receiving this today after a 3 year yearning.

A bit of J.S Bach playing while I tidy up.

It's a magnificent restoration and my heartfelt thanks go to Frede Kristensen of Classic Audio for his time, patience and love that went into making this possible for me.  The light Oak finish is a great match for my previously restored Beolab 5000 system.  So that's the system absolutely complete, including stereo width box, cubes etc.  And I'm going to enjoy them to the full now I'm here every day.

Dave.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 3:46 PM

You are a lucky boy! Congratulations, very sweet piece of gear. Also love the other table, I had a chance to get one years ago for 150 dollars US and stupidly passed it up because I couldn't find a place to get the silicone goop used for speed control. Still kick myself over that.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 3:53 PM

Stunning, shows what time and patience can achieve. Beatiful set up

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 4:01 PM

Oh Jeff, never pass up on an opportunity like that!  Mine was an eBay buy from a musician in the UK.  I've never played it!  I haven't taken the day or more  required to set the arm up properly and it's there as it sort of matches the 'Clockwork Orange' Beolab 5000 set-up (except that was a Michel deck) not the Transcriptors Saturn I have.

You're right though, I am a lucky boy and my understanding and patient family know where my priorities are!

Dave.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 4:02 PM

ajames:
Stunning, shows what time and patience can achieve. Beatiful set up

And money!  Also a supportive family for my hobby.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 4:16 PM

Officially jealous. Very much so. Are you keeping the 4000 then?

Jacques

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 4:18 PM

Now that's what I call restoration! Amazing..

Brengen & Ophalen

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 4:33 PM

chartz:

Hi Jacques, I thought you'd be along soon.  Yes, I'm keeping it to do a hopefully easy repair as the tonearm doesn't track across to the record and it switches off immediately.  It just happened between records one day.  Are you looking for one?  I've got the BG4000, 4002 and 4004 set now.  Also another immaculate BG4000 for 100 € via Leboncoin recently.  The Alu strip was a gift from Frede for the BG4000 as the other is creased.

I'm sure Leslie must have at least 3 and may let one go.

You're getting there with your set-up.

Dave.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 4:36 PM

Leslie:

Leslie, high praise indeed following on from some of your amazing work.  Frede does some great stuff with this system.

It is beautiful and sounds fantastic.  I'm actually playing the Jack Black 'Lazaretto' album at the moment which plays from the middle outwards!  Very strange.  It also has a hologram, secret tracks and other features like different tracks depending on which groove the needle ends up in!

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 5:21 PM

Dave Farr:

chartz:

Hi Jacques, I thought you'd be along soon.  Yes, I'm keeping it to do a hopefully easy repair as the tonearm doesn't track across to the record and it switches off immediately.  It just happened between records one day.  Are you looking for one?  I've got the BG4000, 4002 and 4004 set now.  Also another immaculate BG4000 for 100 € via Leboncoin recently.  

Actually I got mine from le Bon Coin too 4 years ago for 80€. It is near-mint too. There's a lot of B&O to be had cheaply there, but distance is always a problem, isn't it.

My Cubes were sourced from there too, as well as my M70 with trumpet stands. Oh, and a mint white 4002.

But no Beogram 3000. Sad

Jacques

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 5:50 PM

Very cool, Dave.  Many, many happy listens!

I miss the days when there were more "unboxing" threads.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 6:33 PM

Thanks Rich,

actually a couple of weeks ago I also received a BV7-55 HD/3D from Lifestyle Av on a pallet and weighing 180kg.  I did take some pictures when I was setting it up but didn't think it would be of interest.  The stand alone weighs a ton and it's mighty big!

Dave.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 6:56 PM

A 7 55 and the Thorens you know how to rub it in Stick out tongue

Total jelousy on both counts and enjoy them all !

I was to go up to Frede for some "things" but that has now become a problem as there is no ferry...... !

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

valve1:
Total jelousy on both counts and enjoy them all !

Count me in on the above, Congrats and enjoy Dave

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 8:45 PM

Dave Farr:

Leslie:

Leslie, high praise indeed following on from some of your amazing work.  Frede does some great stuff with this system.

It is beautiful and sounds fantastic.  I'm actually playing the Jack Black 'Lazaretto' album at the moment which plays from the middle outwards!  Very strange.  It also has a hologram, secret tracks and other features like different tracks depending on which groove the needle ends up in!

Dave.

No doubt about Frede's work, he's the master. Wish I had his knowledge to do things he does. Btw, my wishlist, Beolit 39 and your precious recordplayer, so I don't have any. But... you never know. Enjoy!

Brengen & Ophalen

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 8:56 AM

Congratulations Dave, looks fantastic, the oak surround is just superb. I'm sure it sounds just as good!

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 9:55 AM

Ben:
Congratulations Dave, looks fantastic, the oak surround is just superb. I'm sure it sounds just as good!

Yes Ben, it does sound amazing too.  The Axel retipped SP14 is first class - no noise but the detail is fantastic.  I have no static problems, no hiss, rumble etc, just pure music now that I turn the radio off during phone play as otherwise there is intereference through the Beovox 2500 cubes only. Jacques, take note.

Comment/question from my wife last night (who refuses to touch it) 'does the arm not go back and switch itself off at the end of the record then?' - I despair sometimes!

Dave.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 9:59 AM

chartz:

My Cubes were sourced from there too, as well as my M70 with trumpet stands. Oh, and a mint white 4002.

But no Beogram 3000. Sad

Jacques, for your info, I've just discussed this with Frede as I had an issue yesterday.

If I play via Phono but leave the tuner switched on (I normally have both tuner and amp on via the amp master on/off switch) I can faintly hear the radio via the Beovox 2500 cube tweeters.  This is apparently due to the circuitry in the amp.  It's only from the cubes - no other speakers.  The only solution is to make sure the tuner is switched off during phono play.

Dave.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 10:25 AM

wow, wow, wow....... I also like the detail that has gone into the manual. 

Enjoy

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 10:35 AM

Mark:

wow, wow, wow....... I also like the detail that has gone into the manual. 

Enjoy

That's typical from Frede at Classic Audio.  For the fully restored Beolab 5000 system  I received a similar folder plus a personalised hard backed and fully bound book which runs to 90 pages and is full of amazing info from the history of the system, test certificates, guarantee, user manual, specifications for each part of the system (amp, tuner, all speakers, stereo width box etc etc.  Frede loves his work and this system.

Dave.

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 2:54 PM

It is beautiful Dave! Amazing that is technically even better than new!

Wouter

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 3:36 PM

Wouter:

It is beautiful Dave! Amazing that is technically even better than new!

Thanks Wouter.

Yes, the specs are excellent, it's the same for the amp and tuner too, they all exceed specs from B&O so you can imagine how it sounds.  I expect some of the modern replacement components that had to be used have a better tolerance though only Frede knows how he makes his magic with this system.

Dave.

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 3:58 PM

It probably sounds amazing! I'm impressed by the sound every time I use my bm 900 rg. They really made some impressive systems back in the days. IMHO, if you could afford this system when it was introduced, it would be the only system you'd ever need... Do you use it as your main system?

Wouter

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 4:10 PM

Wouter:

It probably sounds amazing! I'm impressed by the sound every time I use my bm 900 rg. They really made some impressive systems back in the days. IMHO, if you could afford this system when it was introduced, it would be the only system you'd ever need... Do you use it as your main system?

I have so many systems set-up in my house I normally use whatever is in the room I'm in.  4500 system, 3000, 6500, 5000, 900RG, 900M etc but in the main living room, which is where it is, I do use it more that anything else.  I have to justify the cost to my wife!

I can't get over how clear even some of my older vinyl sounds - no pops, bangs, hisses etc but the music is sharp and clear - though the bass is also excellent (just been listening to Genesis 'Seconds Out' live in Paris 1973 and Supper's Ready is incredible) I love bass pedals!.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 4:48 PM

I agree that the 124 is an excellent deck. My old record shop used to play new records on it, and boy did LPs sound great!

I can tell you that the Beogram 4000-MMC20CL does sound great too. I hear that it is in the bass department that the Thorens had the edge.

Hearing this system with a  Garrard 401 would also be nice.

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 4:58 PM

chartz:

I can tell you that the Beogram 4000-MMC20CL does sound great too. I hear that it is in the bass department that the Thorens had the edge.

Hearing this system with a  Garrard 401 would also be nice.

Yes, the deck previously set-up with the Beolab 5000 system was a BG4000 with an MMC20CL and it was mighty fine.  I think this BG3000 has the edge though.  The bass is more detailed somehow and overall there is less extraneous noise - be it pops, crackles etc.  It's very clean sounding..

I've started cleaning up the Beovox 3000 for you Jacques.  I'll need to do some sanding and oiling to remove the 'spillage stains'.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 5:00 PM

Well, I could do it, but thanks!

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 5:02 PM

chartz:
Well, I could do it, but thanks!

I couldn't send it to you looking like it did!  You'd think I was a real slob.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 5:20 PM

Dave Farr:

You'd think I was a real slob.

Oh! 

How did you connect it to the Beolab, prior to having a Width Box? I almost grabbed one on ePay but was outbid. It reached 230 pounds in the last few seconds - madness! It wasn't even mint!

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 5:27 PM

chartz:

Dave Farr:

You'd think I was a real slob.

Oh! 

How did you connect it to the Beolab, prior to having a Width Box? I almost grabbed one on ePay but was outbid. It reached 230 pounds in the last few seconds - madness! It wasn't even mint!

I didn't.  I waited until I had the stereo width box before using the Beovox 3000.  I just had a normal set-up in stereo with the Beovox 5000's and 2500 cubes.

Dave.

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Wed, Sep 24 2014 1:51 PM

Dave Farr:

I can't get over how clear even some of my older vinyl sounds - no pops, bangs, hisses etc but the music is sharp and clear - though the bass is also excellent (just been listening to Genesis 'Seconds Out' live in Paris 1973 and Supper's Ready is incredible) I love bass pedals!.

Dave.

You should really try a compact disc some day! Almost the same principle as vinyl, but without any distortion. No, I'm just kidding. I'm really jealous, although my beogram 1000 does the job quite well. Looking at the pictures of your 5000 setup makes me salivate. 

Wouter

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 29 2014 6:05 PM

Wouter:
You should really try a compact disc some day! Almost the same principle as vinyl, but without any distortion. No, I'm just kidding. I'm really jealous, although my beogram 1000 does the job quite well. Looking at the pictures of your 5000 setup makes me salivate

I tried a CD but getting the hole in the middle was really difficult and the needle kept skating over the top!

Dave.

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder
classic replied on Mon, Sep 29 2014 7:17 PM

Dave Farr:

Wouter:
You should really try a compact disc some day! Almost the same principle as vinyl, but without any distortion. No, I'm just kidding. I'm really jealous, although my beogram 1000 does the job quite well. Looking at the pictures of your 5000 setup makes me salivate

I tried a CD but getting the hole in the middle was really difficult and the needle kept skating over the top!

Dave.

Really strange, I get the very same problem here!

/Frede

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 29 2014 7:51 PM

classic:
Really strange, I get the very same problem here!

You see, these CD things aren't all there made out to be!

Dave.

Page 1 of 1 (34 items) | RSS