Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Choosing a mini amp for a pair of S45-2's

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

PBHansen
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
PBHansen Posted: Sat, Sep 20 2014 4:13 PM

Hi

I would like to hide away the amp in my setup, and I am looking into using a mini amp for my s45-2 speakers. The speakers will be placed in a decently sized living room. The setup might be somewhat temporary, so I would like to be very cost effective but there is no set budget.

The following amps pop-up when searching the web for affordable mini amps:

lepai lp-2020a+

Topping TP30 or TP10

Is this feasible and can anyone tell my what kind of specifications I should be looking for or with recommendations for a specific amp?

Thank you for taking the time to look at this

Peter Christensen
Not Ranked
North Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Posts 12
Bronze Member

You might consider a TI 3116 based amp.  These are very inexpensive, and sound wonderful.  If you search ebay, you should be able to purchase one for around  $40US + the price of a laptop power supply.  Regarding power supplies, it seems a 19.5v version sounds the best (power supplies can rage from 12v to 24v, which changes the power output of the amp accordingly).   At 19.5v, the little amp will put out about 33 watts, which is ideal for your S-45-2's.  This amp will top out at 50 watts at 4 ohms with a 24v power supply.

Good luck!

Pete

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS