Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 2400 Problems.

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

tomma100
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
tomma100 Posted: Mon, Sep 29 2014 12:39 AM

I recently purchased a Beogram 2400 and Beomaster 2400 on Craigslist for $75.

The Beogram 2400 came with a working cartridge and needle, but unfortunately the unit does not start up and tonearm does not move when the 33/45 button is pressed.

This Beogram 2400 is the version with the vertical front and I have spent days online trying to track down the correct service manual, but all manuals I've found apply to the non vertical front Beogram 2400! If anyone has this manual or knows where I can download it, please PM me.

I have attempted lubricating the tonearm spring and other parts as suggested in other posts, but as the motor is definitely running fine, the problem seems to be in the start/stop, 33/45 button itself. There is a long thin metal arm (is this the 'relay switch arm') which connects the 33/45 button to the plastic cogs/levers in the center of the turntable and this arm does not seem to be functioning properly.

I have attached photos of this arm and am hoping there is someone on this forum who can help me restore this amazing Beogram back to it's former glory! Thanks in advance!!!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Did you have a record on the platter when trying

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

tomma100
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
tomma100 replied on Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:25 PM

Absolutely! That's the first thing I tried. At first I tried to help it along and it came up to speed, but the button would not allow me to change from 45 to 33.

Also, the tonearm was having issues too. It would head in to the center of the record and skate across.

Now it doesn't play at all, although after opening up the back I have confirmed the motor is still running, it's just the button, when pressed, does not engage the levers to start up or stop.

Definitely seems to be an issue with the long metal wire connecting the button to the white cogs and levers under the platter.

tomma100
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Here's a better photo of the wire coming from the 33/TURN/45 button.

It is supposed to move the white lever and cog, but does not have enough tension.

It just moves around a little rather than flip the levers to engage the cogs.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I´m not familiar with this type of BG, but i do see a plug on the PCB not engaged totally, and the wires from that plug goes to the shift mechanism. Pull off the plugs and clean the plugs and jacks and try again.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Checking the manuals, the mechanism looks more like BG 1902 than a BG 2400

tomma100
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
tomma100 replied on Mon, Sep 29 2014 9:29 PM

Thanks Soren for your advice!

Yes, this 2400 is completely different to the 2400 (non vertical front) found in the standard manual.

I just downloaded the service manual for the 1902 and see it is very similar.

I cleaned the plugs as you suggested with isopropyl alcohol and removed the fuse to check it was healthy and one side of it ripped off, so time to replace that!

I'm hoping that with the fuse replaced I'll have a solution! Will update you on how I get on! Thanks again!

tomma100
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Hi Soren,

Sadly after replacing the faulty fuse and cleaning the plugs with isopropyl alcohol the turntable is still not engaging when I press either 33 or 45. In fact, nothing happens at all when I press the button. Makes me wonder what the problem is with the button?

The speed control belt was completely rotten when I first opened up the Beogram, but as i understand it, that belt is not necessary for the TT to function?

Ive included a photo of the button and the various wires/connections. From the manual it looks like everything is there, minus the rotted speed control belt.

Could there be something else I need to replace?

Thanks so much for your help and to anyone else who can shed some light on this mystery!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

You will have to start searching for electrical failures following the drawing in the manual, starting with voltage from the transformer and then onwards, be careful

tomma100
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
tomma100 replied on Thu, Oct 2 2014 10:36 PM

Sorry for this rookie question, but how would you recommend I search or test for these electrical failures? What is the method to do this as I am not aware? Thanks!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

If you never done anything like that before, just stay away from it. A certain pre knowledge is of need, furthermore some tools and instruments. This not in a bad meaning but it craves some studying to get into it.

Find an electronic technician that works carefully, look around with friends and family someone must know someone.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS