Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Affordable replacement cartridge for Beogram 4004

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

mikecomua
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
mikecomua Posted: Tue, Oct 14 2014 3:12 PM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Beogram 4004, complete with beovox s45 speakers and a Beomaster 2400. Today I noticed that the cartridge performance was getting flimsy. I know this has been asked a lot but what possible options are there for replacing the cartridge? Paying 200 EUR for a new one is just not an option. I've heard that you can reconfigure the the Beogram to use cartridge other than the proprietary ones, any information on that?

Thanks,

Mike

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 4:28 PM

Hi Mike and welcome to Beoworld.

If you mean to completely muller the tonearm to fit an alternative cartridge, yes you can, but - it will result in the loss of  value of your iconic turntable, may cause unknown damage that will cost you a lot to put right and in my opinion is not worth doing.

The 4000/4002/4004 series are great turntables.  If you've invested in a quality TT it isn't worth trying to skimp on the quality and performance by ruining it, interfering with it etc.

What cartridge came with it?

The MMC range of cartridges can be refurbished by Axel at:

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/REPARATUR-RETIPPING/B-O-MMC-SYSTEM-Reparatur/

Why compramise a nice system for trying to save a few pounds/Euros.  Vintage B&O is not necessarily cheap to run.  These machines need looking after - recapping, cleaning, lubricating, other adjustments etc.  Just search for these on Beoworld and you will see the time, effort and expense needed to keep these going.

I urge you to reconsider, save up a bit, learn about this equipment (great source is this Forum) and at least get your cartridge rebuilt.  It will last a long time and give you great pleasure.

Dave.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 7:04 PM

Agree completely - get your existing cartridge repaired - cheapest option by miles and you can decide of how much you want to spend. There was a mod to change to a Grado cartridge but this means cutting the tonearm and to do this properly will cost far more.

Peter

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dave Farr:

I urge you to reconsider, save up a bit, learn about this equipment (great source is this Forum) and at least get your cartridge rebuilt.  It will last a long time and give you great pleasure.

Dave.

I totally agree with Dave, get your cartridge repaired, now: Depending on the quality of your vinyl, you will have to decide which quality you want, I have several Beograms, I have one MMC2 repaired from Axel, cost point EUR 180.00, I have several MMC4, 1 is still original and working, 2 repaired from Axel for some EUR 80.00, 1 is from Soundsmith, USD 170.00, with shipping 2 years ago. I also have some SP series cartridges, 2 repaired from Axel and 1 original. About sound quality: the MMC2 is used only for new or very good records, I have some 30-40 of these, but I also have some 100+ LPs and 500+ 45s, of lesser quality and these I use only with MMC4 and SP cartridges. Considering that I am 64 years old, and intend to stay alive and listening to music, until i am at least 80, I will not need to buy or repair any cartridge for the rest of my life. That is, if i dont buy more turntables.

So Mike, think about the quality of your vinyl, think about which music and sound quality you want, and then decide which cartridge you want, if you want to listen to classic with all the cymbals and the over sized bass drums, the MMC2 is it, if listen to loud rock, from mediocre quality records a MMC4 is it. But consider this a one time investment, any of these will probably last for at least 20 years.

As for your BG 4004, its a wonderful machine, it only need a little TLC (Tender Loving Care), meaning. Open it up every 2-3 years, clean it lubricate it, and it will run without problems for years to come. Maybe every 5 years you will have to change the belts, but also these will probably last longer.

BTW, I am the proud owner of a BM 2400 myself, renovated with new electrolytic caps, some new trimmers and a slide potentiometers repair, from design, sound and how it just smiles at me, when I pass it, my favorite of my receiver/amps. So just start maintaining your B&O items, and you will be a happy listener for years to come.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Fri, Oct 17 2014 10:10 PM

Hi Mike,

I second the welcome to BeoWorld.

The Beogram 4004 is a fantastic turntable….. great choice, as is the Beomaster 2400 and S 45 speakers. (I have the same set-up, BM 2400, S 45.2 speakers, with a Beogram 4002. Love them all. I have a BG 4000 and BG4004 was well, so you know I share your enthusiasm.)

The guys are absolutely right; have your cartridge repaired, especially if it is a MMC20CL.

All of my cartridges are used, but buying a used cartridge is a real gamble. Even if it worked for the seller there is no guarantee how long it will function properly as the suspensions become hard with time.

So consider either Axel or Soundsmiths…. Then you will have a cartridge that will last for for many years.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS