Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Latest OS X testing -- Yosemite and iTunes 12.0.1

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant Posted: Sat, Oct 18 2014 4:04 AM

I was somewhat concerned to see degree of surface change to iTunes.

What if something fundamental had changed and BMLink / LinkPlayer (I or II) stopped working ?

So at this stage I have upgraded my MacBook to Yosemite (OS X 10.10) and that includes iTunes 12.0.1 and I have done a keyboard test of LinkPlayer I (as opposed to using a BeoPort and Beo4) and that seemed to work. 

I have now upgraded the MacMini (media centre, the heart of my universe) to iTunes 12.01. and I am listening to Net-Music via BMLink - so that all seems very cool.  In fact I am tempted to stop testing and just enjoy ... started with Jeff's recommendation, Kimiko Itoh, and now listening to a music video on a blacked out BV8-40 Devil

However some comments about iTunes 12.0.1 (I will restrain from passing comments (positive and cautionary) about Yosemite other than to say it might be like Vegemite ... something you adore or something you dislike.

The iTunes interface is ... nice ... I think.  It is fresher, cleaner, but then at times you find yourself back in the old word, or a half-way house of old & new visual design / menus.  However I think it will take getting used to.  Just glad BMLink works !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 4:36 AM

BMLink testing continued ... 

http://www.odlund.se/bmlink/documentation/pages/nmusicbeo4.html

> and < and >> and << all work -- and are as confusing as ever on a large and diverse music collection as mine.

I just found that pressing a number key works for going to the first N groups/playlists one has set up.

Except "1" takes you to the Music area (or so it seems) and "0" does not work (despite the text in the link above)

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 5:07 AM

BMLink testing continued ... 

And as reported earlier /elsewhere Net-Radio appears not to work anymore (on the other hand none of the stations in my N.RADIO playlist seem live these days.

On the other hand Net-Radio does place you in a mode where BMLink then plays whatever is playing on the Mac e.g. Spotify or in my case Apple Radio ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 5:52 AM
LinkPlayer I testing ... against iTunes 12.0.1

So I disabled BMLink, fired up LinkPlayer which registered itself again and froze.

I had to quit LinkPlayer and start it again - this time because it was already registered it went through to configuring the sound system, accessing the iTunes library, and putting up the menu screen.

Pressing (GO) on the Beo4 starts playing sweet music ...

Maybe its been too long since I have used LinkPlayer ... however I seemed to have some difficulty getting a sequence of music to play, i.e. one song played, and then things stopped -- so I used Apple's Remote iApp to kick off a playlist ...

And > and its reverse work to skip up sand down songs in a play list

And >> works to swap play lists

As does its reverse to return back to the previous playlist(s)

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 6:09 AM

LinkPlayer I testing ... against iTunes 12.0.1

Only the Yellow (songs) and Blue (playlists) buttons work.

(Green and Red don't)

Net-Radio, like BMLInk, simply opens the MasterLink to whatever you want the Mac/Beoport to broadcast.

I am using Apple's new Radio stations - and I noticed that LinkPlayer picks up the meta data and displays it on the screen - but does not propagate it across the MasterLink.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 6:57 AM

LinkPlayer II testing ... against iTunes 12.0.1

Again the fundamentals are working.

Song skips back and forth, Playlists etc. work.

Red, Blue, Yellow and Green keys work - with their voice over feedback !

And Net-Radio triggers access to the correct LinkPlayer II display and graphics, however no audio is produced - so it's off to Spotify for us.

So it looks like the iTunes upgrade has not broken anything.

I may upgrade the MacMini tomorrow to Yosemite ... or I may not as it seems to have a few glitches, e.g. the edit function on the posts seem to hang !

BeoNut since '75

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 8:41 AM

I have been a beta tester for a few months and the impossibility to edit or post a picture in Beoworld has not been solved in iOS8 or Yosemite. A real pain in the neck. I have to do that in Firefox, which I hate.

Jacques

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Yosemite ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 1:15 PM
iOS8 ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 1:17 PM
Those two worked. Maybe drop the beta and go to the public release ?

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Oct 19 2014 9:56 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

I have just upgraded the MacMini running iTunes 12.0.1 to include Yosemite (OS X 10.10) ...

And BMLink works fine ... including all 4 coloured keys to switch between Genre (red), Album (green), Artist (yellow), and Playlist (blue).

Skipped tracks back and forth; and paused - all good.

That was N-Music (obviously), and N-Radio results in silence, unless I play another source ....

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:03 AM

And I am happy to report that LinkPlayer I also works.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:09 AM

elephant:

And I am happy to report that LinkPlayer I also works.

And LinkPlayer II too Smile

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Tue, Jun 9 2015 2:53 AM

Heya,

Does this still apply to iTunes 12.1.2?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jun 11 2015 5:27 AM
dilznik:

Heya,

Does this still apply to iTunes 12.1.2?

Probably.

I will test El Capitan and Apple Music in the week's ahead

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:06 AM
Tested the dot version you asked for on El Capitan and it was OK in PC mode (I don't have a beoport and beolabs in my Cary-on Big Smile)

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 5:13 PM

Very good.  I guess I can't sit on Mountain Lion and iTunes 11.3.1 forever.

I think the day BM-Link stops working with iTunes is the day I sell all my B&O stuff and move to Sonos.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

dilznik:

Very good.  I guess I can't sit on Mountain Lion and iTunes 11.3.1 forever.

I think the day BM-Link stops working with iTunes is the day I sell all my B&O stuff and move to Sonos.

I hope that day has not arrived ... however my initial test of the Apple Music version of iTunes did not look good.

I had posted this finding in the Apple Music thread in the General Forum.

Unfortunately the iCloud Library matching process is now underway -- seems they did not repurpose the findings from iTunes Match ... so now my system is doing a bulk upload of "missing" items.

I hope to resume testing in a few hours -- however even though the upload process is speedier that the Photos process, I have very limited diagnostics as to where we are in the process ... it has been sitting at 99% complete for almost 10 hours, during which it has moved 544 MB of music :(

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

FYI the process has identified the 3 Apple Music curated playlists I marked on my iPhone, as well as some of the albums I marked.

As you can see those albums/tracks (unpurchased but marked for offline playing on the phone) are shown as in the cloud (for the moment at least) -- they are the three most recently added items.

I have also included a snapshot of the useless progress indication ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

elephant:
I have also included a snapshot of the useless progress indication ...

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 6:30 PM

It occurred to me that I can hook the Mini up to the A.Aux port of the B&O but then the remote will be good for nothing but turning it on and off and the volume.  I'd have to go into the Apple Remote app to change songs up and down and at that point I really can switch to Sonos since that was alway the biggest thing that bugged me about Sonos.

That and their speakers are ugly.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 12:07 AM
dilznik:

It occurred to me that I can hook the Mini up to the A.Aux port of the B&O but then the remote will be good for nothing but turning it on and off and the volume. I'd have to go into the Apple Remote app to change songs up and down and at that point I really can switch to Sonos since that was alway the biggest thing that bugged me about Sonos.

Prior to my test of yesterday I had been thinking "who needs the Moment, the macMini/beoPort and an iPad are just as good".

So I am hoping that I can sort this out !

I am frustrated by the upload process -- since my last post some hours ago it has moved forward by only 140MB.

edit - I spoke too soon ... The posts showed up today !

The other frustration is that I think iOS 8.4 has broken my Last.FM scribbler .... grrrr .... so iPhone usage of Apple Music has not been tracked, however iTunes pages was !

dilznik:

That and their speakers are ugly.

whose ? Bose ? Songs ? yes to both ... B&O hmmmm well sometime unfortunately yes

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
I have written about my testing in the General Forum.

I just want to comment on the 2nd auto-reboot ...

It happened around the time that I noticed that:

A) it appeared as though the iCloud Library upload had ended

B) the useless status icon had reverted to an unfilled white moon with an explanation that the system was waiting on the iCloud Library for updates

C) there was a rotating iris / pinwheel / rosette indicating that a Genius playlist was being updated

After that second reboot there appears to be minimal background activity ... but I do not know if they had ended peacefully ... or if my system is now in some half-baked and unknown state.

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 5:17 AM

So I loaded up the new iTunes on an MBP I had here and hooked it up where my Mini usually is and tried it out.  BM-Link worked to turn my BeoSound 4 on, forward, back, the colored buttons worked, and I could do things like switch between artists and playlists.  So basically, it's doing exactly what I want it to do and was afraid it wouldn't.

I'm updating the Mini to Yosemite and the latest iTunes as well and I'll try again when El Cap comes out.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Great news.

I have been using LinkPlayer I this morning. I had forgotten how useful the voice over was :-)

I'll return to BM-Link testing tomorrow with renewed vigour !

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS