Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 9000 cleaning

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Henrik Toubro
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 70
Bronze Member
Henrik Toubro Posted: Tue, May 15 2012 5:43 PM

I have a BS9000, that's at least 10 years old. The last year or so, it's been acting up more and more often. Sometimes it goes to a CD, but pauses instead of playing, it returns the CDs in a random position, not like I left it, it often plays the first song on an album, and then changes to the next CD and sometimes the sound stutters, like streaming music that has not buffered enough.

My question is, should I send it in for repairs or is it something I can clean/fix myself??

A little info: Until 2010 it hung in a smokers home, so the different mechanics and laser may be tired from this. 

KingOfSnake
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member

It deserves a professional strip down and internal clean/laser replacement at 10 years old.  Certainly you can get hold of a service manual and give it a go yourself, but unless familiar then you may end up damaging internal components.

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Tue, May 15 2012 7:36 PM

Hi

its by no means a permanent fix but as a pointer your laser probably isnt focusing too well,  if you have a cotton bud to hand you need to dip it in some alcohol then squeeze of the excess from the tip, open the lid select a empty CD slot. Slide the cotton bud in from THE RH side "as viewed from front" directly underneath the clamper if you look at eye level from the RH side you will actually see the LT Blue lense about 6mm dia thats what youre aiming for just be gentle and switch off the mains after you have opened the lid, just as a precaution against lasers. normally you will get  a dirty brown smudge on the bud , reconnect and see how it performs if its no better you at least have the alcohol out to drown your sorrows :-)))

Regards  Maurice

Henrik Toubro
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 70
Bronze Member

Thanks guys. Although I am an electronics engineer, I would hate myself if I damaged the unit. I guess I'll ask my Beodude, what it'll cost, and if it's too expensive I'll try the alcohol method :o)

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Wed, May 16 2012 7:06 PM

Try a cleaning cd,it works perfect!

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member