Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound 8 & new iPad (3)

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

RussR
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Bronze Member
RussR Posted: Wed, May 16 2012 1:49 AM

Does anyone here have this set-up yet?  I have a client reporting that the New iPad isn't charging.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ

We kid because we love.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, May 18 2012 1:31 PM

I have BeoSound 8 and the new iPad.

When I dock the new iPad, there's a message briefly on the screen saying "Not charging." In a couple of seconds the alert disappears, and the iPad begins to charge normally (the battery percentage icon turns into the charging icon).

I have no idea why there's the initial alert, but nevertheless the iPad charges when docked.

Perhaps the BeoSound 8 needs a software update to get rid of the alert? I wonder if there have been any SW updates to BS8, and if yes, how such an update can be done? There's a brief mention of software update in the BS8 Service Manual, saying that in case of repair, one of the final steps is to check that the BeoSound has the latest software version.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Gatex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Gatex replied on Fri, May 18 2012 1:35 PM

no charging according to apple the new a5x processor consumes that charging energy almost instantly :( it even charges very slow with the original apple power adapter

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, May 18 2012 1:52 PM

Gatex:

no charging according to apple the new a5x processor consumes that charging energy almost instantly :( it even charges very slow with the original apple power adapter

Okay, it must be that the new iPad is not charging properly while in use on the BeoSound 8. I left the iPad docked overnight, idly (nothing playing, no screen on) and it did charge.

Perhaps one more reason to go for the BeoSound A8 with airplay, which would allow charging the iPad and playing music through the BeoSound at the same time...

This causes a problem with the use of the older BeoSound 8, however.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, May 18 2012 4:01 PM

All iPads require a 10W charger to charge the battery properly and unfortunately I don't think any B&O-docks has that ability unfortunately (strange since both 8 and A8 is made for it..). 

I think they could have put a strong enough charger in it for that price (9995 SEK). 

The new iPad charges more slowly than the older ones because it has a much larger battery. This is because they have a new screen that needs more light to push the colours thru new filters that makes colour reproduction better. The backside is that it demands more light = power and also the new processor drains the battery a bit quicker. 

I really think the new iPad _do_ charge from the BS8/A8 but very very slowly. I sometimes have my new iPad connected to my old Mac Pro that is a standard usb2-port (not higher power like newer macs) and it does charge but extremely slow. After a day it might have charged it 10-20% or something like that. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, May 18 2012 4:15 PM

Michael:

I really think the new iPad _do_ charge from the BS8/A8 but very very slowly. 

Correct, that's what I thought. I've only connected my iPad 3 to my BS8 once, and I'm sure it charged it. But, yes, very slowly. Much like when you connect to your computer - takes far longer than direct to mains.

That's the biggest downside for the iPad 3, it takes far longer to charge than the iPad 2.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS