Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Avant Set Top box

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

CJM1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member
CJM1 Posted: Wed, May 16 2012 2:47 PM

Hi everyone!

I want to try and configure my Avant, so when i press TV on my Beo4 it chooses the Set Top box which is plugged into to the AV socket. i hate having the black and white fuzz! It would also benefit my A9 keyring which i got for christmas since you can't turn on SAT from that.

Any suggestions?

Clarke 

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, May 16 2012 2:55 PM

I'm not too familiar with the Avant, but for my MX & LX televisions I've used a trick with the "decoder" facility. On those, you can configure any of the off-air channel presets to use a decoder (connected to AV2 in this case). If you connect the STB (or anything else) to that input, the TV will think it is routing the RF programme from the internal tuner through that SCART, and will show whatever comes in from there. Perhaps the Avant has a similar feature.

Also, I've configured this to all presets from 1 to 9, and deleted all the others. Then it doesn't matter what preset the TV thinks it is showing, the STB signal from the SCART will always come through.

PS. I've always called the "fuzz" program "Winter of the Ants" Big Smile

--mika

CJM1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member
CJM1 replied on Wed, May 16 2012 3:02 PM

My Playstation is in the Decoder and my set top box in the AV should i put the Set Top box in the decoder?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, May 16 2012 3:17 PM

Yes - otherwise the TV button will give you the Playstation. Then configure the AV SCART for something else, V.TAPE perhaps.

--mika

CJM1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member
CJM1 replied on Wed, May 16 2012 8:40 PM

Neither of them are giving me the source on TV. what option do i have to configure in the connections settings ?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, May 16 2012 8:50 PM

Oh, I dunno, as I said I don't have an Avant Geeked I believe there would be some way to turn decoder on while storing a tuned RF channel, as on the MXs...

If you can't figure it out from the menus (they are often tricky), consult the setup manual. I suppose it might be available at B&O's web site as well.

--mika

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Thu, May 17 2012 7:19 AM

Hi,

I don't think the Avant can be configured to show a scart connected source on the press of TV, as the internal tuner cannot be disbaled. The source definition TV is connected to the internal tuner an cannot be changed. I solvd the problem with a Lintronic box which i used to control a non STBC supported STB. I simply redirected the "TV" trigger to the desired source with one line in the Lintronic box' memory map. But this would be an overkill if you do not have already a lintronic box.

hfat

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

hfat:
I don't think the Avant can be configured to show a scart connected source on the press of TV, as the internal tuner cannot be disbaled. The source definition TV is connected to the internal tuner an cannot be changed.

But there's no need to disable it - the whole point of the decoder trick I described is that the TV thinks it is still showing the signal of the internal tuner, only looped through an external decoder box that is supposed to descramble a pay-TV program. When you enable "decoder" for a certain program preset, the TV routes the signal from the tuner out of the SCART socket configured as "decoder", and shows whatever comes in from the same SCART. The TV won't know nor care if this is actually the same program that went out of the SCART.

So, going by the manual, as I don't have an Avant myself that I could try,

1. Connect the STB to the "decoder" socket
  2. Tune to a TV station (there doesn't actually need to be any - just get to the point where you would store one, i.e "The first TV tuning menu" in the attached picture)
  3. Select GO to get to "The second TV tuning menu"
  4. Cursor to the "Decoder" setting and change it to "ON/AV" to route both audio and video through the (non-existent) decoder whenever this particular program preset is selected
  5. Select GO to store the settings
  6. ...
  7. Profit!

Read the user manual and play with the settings, if it didn't work. It should be much easier with an actual Avant at hand than it is for me to guess the details out of a user manual Smile

--mika

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:35 AM

You are absolutely right regarding singal routing. I tried your trick and works like a charm with one preset station on the STB.

The point is that the Avant doesn't ask for a STBC when "DECODER"assigned to the decorder socet. So how can the STB be controlled by the STBC'?

hfat

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:17 PM

hfat:

So how can the STB be controlled by the STBC'?

If using the decoder loop you'll have to use the original remote of the box 
The Avant Set Top Box Controller can only be assigned to inputs named either "V.AUX" or "SAT/DTV"

A simple solution for older TVs like MX, Avant etc for the "digital age" is a special version of the Beo4
called "DTV or V.AUX version"

This model has no "TV" button -  it offers "DTV", "V.AUX"  and "V.MEM" as 3 "real" button.

This version can be ordered from B&O (Part# 8053529).

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, May 17 2012 1:32 PM

Yes, this isn't too useful if you have an STB-C and a supported STB, which isn't too likely for most MX/LX users... For myself, I've solved this with home made STB controllers that grab the TV commands; all the TV needs to do is to turn on and stay on a SCART input in TV mode, and this trick solves that. The new Beo4 wouldn't help me there.

What I really would like to do would be to use the SAT button for something. Unfortunately it seems to be a total no-op on MXs if the receiver isn't installed; it won't even turn the TV on.

--mika

Lagom
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Lagom replied on Sat, May 19 2012 1:15 AM

Clarke,

I own an Avant, STB and use my A9.

Pressing the video button on the A9 allows you to toggle the inputs.

I have the Avant US model (8490), so mine may be different.  Have you tried resetting the inputs through the menu?  Menu, Menu, 0, 0, GO, 8 "Miscellaneous", "Reset User Settings".  I know it's a pain, but it will allow you to change the order.

I hope this works for you. Smile

CJM1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member
CJM1 replied on Sat, May 19 2012 3:45 PM
Our avants our different, mines a 1997 model. Yours is newer I think. I have the curved screen version with different menus
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS