Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Replacing the built-in turntable in the Beocenter 2200 with a Beogram 1700

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

AndersL
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
AndersL Posted: Thu, Nov 6 2014 5:45 PM

Hi people. I'm fairly new with "older" music systems of any style actually. They've always been in my life in some way, through my parents, grandparents and so forth. But I've never owned anything myself. So a few months ago I went and purchased myself a Beocenter 2200 (without a stylus) Mainly using it as "base" for my speaker system. Everything involved is B&O as I've always had a love for the design they make as I'm sure you people have as well. 

So the problem now lies in, as the title suggests, I intended to at some point buy a new stylus for the beocenters turntable, however the MMC-4 stylus is rather expensive, at least for a poor studying lad as myself, it's far too much. So I went out into some used stores the other day searching for a turntable of any kind really and I stumbled upon a Beogram 1700 with 2 stylus' that was perfectly intact for the bargain of 12£. Happy as could be I rushed home (carefully) and tried plugging it in (without the beocenter). Just to see if  all the mechanics seemed to work, and it did just fine as far as testing it goes. I then tried connecting it with the Beocenter and problems arose in the shape of sound. There was none. As the Beocenter has a 5pin-DIN plug and the Beogram had the same thing I figured I'd connect the two and it would work just as fine as when I use my DIN-aux cable from my Beocenter to my phone/computer to play music, unfortunately this isn't the case. Of course the 5pin-DIN from the beceonter is meant for external recording however setting it to "tape" should make it work with the beogram just as well as with the DIN/Aux cable.

My only other thought I have before having the beogram checked on is the possibility of using a DIN-Aux6,5mm cable converter from the DIN plug out of the Beogram into the Beocenter. 

Do you guys have any clue why this isn't just... Working? 

Thanks in advance - Anders.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:57 AM
You will need to plug the Beogram into a phono socket or get an external RIAA preamp if you need to use a line level input. The BG1700 does not have an internal RIAA preamplifier.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Nov 12 2014 12:19 PM

If you already have an MMC1-5, you can have it repaired/retipped for much less than buying a 'new' one:

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/REPARATUR-MMC-1-5/MMC-1-5-Reparatur-mit-elliptischer-Diamant-Nadel.html

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS