Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Help! Connecting BeoLab 4000 speakers to a PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

mariuscipolla
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
mariuscipolla Posted: Fri, May 18 2012 8:19 AM

Hope someone can help me with this!

I am currently working in Egypt, where the B & O dealership has just gone defunct, so no local advice.  I  moved house recently & had to dismantle my B & O system.  I was left with a pair of spare BeoLab 4000 speakers which I asked the remaining B & O technician in the country to connect to my PC.

He connected them & they work beautifully, except that, now they are not connected to B & O equipment, they keep switching between active and standby when there is no signal.

Is there anything I can do about this?  And will it end up damaging my precious speakers?

Thanks!

Marius

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:15 AM

It shouldn't damage them, but isn't desirable either...

I suppose that when the PC is off (is it a laptop or a desk machine?), the cable from the sound output picks up some noise or interference that the speakers consider to be audio, and turn on. I believe that might be remedied by a couple resistors connected from the L and R signal lines to ground - 4.7 kohms or so.

It could be a ground loop problem as well. Do you hear any hum from the speakers when they turn on with no input?

--mika

mariuscipolla
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

I think you're right, that's exactly what's happening.  It's a desktop PC and the B & O technician wired them up with a standard phono jack to RCA cable.  The line probably isn't very clean & so the speakers keep switching to active, expecting to get a signal.  I will ask the B & O guy to try that out.  Many thanks for the advice.

There is no hum or serious popping sound from the speakers at any time, only the constant switching from standby to active, which makes a mechanical click from the switch.  I don't think it is a ground loop problem.

Thank you so much!

Marius

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Fri, May 25 2012 10:17 AM

The safest way would be a Beoport, but this wouldn't be an easy task to get one in Egypt I think.

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

JOV
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
JOV replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 2:07 AM

Hi,

I understand, that they turn on, if there's no sound from the PC? I had the same problem.

Ok, do they turn on, if you reduce the output level of your soundcard to zero?

If yes, try a better soundcard with less noise.

If no, reduce the level of your soundcard and raise the input level of the BL4000... - ... Oh, sorry, the 4000 do not have an changeable input level.

Hm, I fear, then you need to use Beoport with Beoplayer software. That was my solution. I bought a used Beoport. 

JOV

Marantz 2270  |  B&W CM 1 + CM 2  ||  BeoSound 9000 | Beoport | Beolab 4000 | Beocom 6000 ISDN

xyanide1986
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

I am guessing that your speakers are connected to some sort of line-level impedance output from your computer. I took a look at the manual of these beolab 4000 speakers: 

Connection panel: LINE–L–R switch - This switch has three settings. Set the switch to L or R when connecting the loudspeakers to a Bang & Olufsen system. Set the switch to LINE when connecting the loudspeakers to a non-Bang & Olufsen system.

Connection to non-Bang & Olufsen systems - Use a special adapter with an ordinary phono/RCA plug in one end, and a DIN-plug in the other (‘Cable for line signal’ – optional accessory, available from your Bang & Olufsen retailer). Set the switch to LINE.

I found it here http://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/media/Files/User%20Guides/BeoLab4000/beolab4000_userguide_english.pdf 

If I were you I would double check if your speakers are connected to a line-out/aux/etc. from your soundcard and run down the manual one more time. I highly suspect the L R switch not sitting in the line position. If they would only work with B&O I would say that's some insanely terrible design. According to this manual they should work with any line input anyway. If it is random noise from your soundcard causing the problem, I don't want to know the terrible state that thing is in and you should be able to hear it.

From what I understand about your cables: the whole thing is connected by a DIN->male jack->female jack->RCA right? I would always suggest not to use adapter cables for your signals, interference can leak in more easily. It shouldn't be hard to find DIN->RCA cables online as they don't have to B&O branded. Other tips I can give is to keep your audio cables away from video signal cables and power cables.

Can you tell us what kind of soundcard you have there and what connections it has? (and did anybody in this thread check the manual?)

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 7:32 PM

Issue is that the Beolabs switch on when there's sound and switch off again when there's no sound. Had the same issue with my 4000's.

As a result of this, when your PC says beep, you hear your speakers clicking, but no sound, since the beep is gone before your speakers are properly switched on. Then after a few minutes, you hear another click, when your speaker switch off again. And this is repeating and annoying. When you play music, there's no issue because there's sound continuously. 

I'm sorry I don't have solution, I think only Beolab 4 pc is made to connect to a PC directly. I sold mine and bought a set of Bose PC speakers....

Joost

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

I have the same problem with a long RCA cable at my restaurant to a pair of Beolab 5000.

There's probably some sort of electricity spike buildup in the RCA cables from a mains cable running close by, and making the speakers wake up.

Best might be to put an on/off switch on the mains cable, or your RCA cable might be of poor quality and react to outside interference too easily.

Too long to list.... 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Marius,

you could buy a small USB-DAC - to improve the soundquality and to eliminate the interferences from the onboard soundcard?

Turn off all interieur sound in the audiopreferences of your Win/Mac.

I would suggest:

The Nuforce Icon-2

http://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=8&Itemid=191/index.php]

Connect the BL's (set to line-in) to the analog-output of the dac, and control the volume with it.

The Nuforce-dac has a good headphoneamp included too.

Or the Dragonfly from Audioquest:

www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

Might be possible to get these online even in Egypt [:S

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS