Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5500 17cm record detection

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

omminp
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Silver Member
omminp Posted: Fri, Nov 14 2014 4:56 AM

My Beogram 5500 has been fitted with new drive belts, and a newly refurbished cartridge from Axel.  Everything worked well until I tried to play a 17cm record.  The player didn't recognise the smaller record, and dropped where it should for a 30cm record.  Not good.  

I have looked at the service manual and searched Beoworld but I can't find anything to tell me how the player detects record size.  Looking at the schematic, there are some switches which may be the switches on the main PCB activated by the mechanics. But how does the player detect record size?

And how to fix it so the stylus only ever contacts vinyl?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Nov 14 2014 7:01 AM

The record size is determined by weight.
A 7" record can be lifted by the center tap, a 12" cannot.
If you have an antistatic mat on the platter (misunderstood accessory for any B&O deck), remove it.
If you have a record press/heavy weight on the record (another misunderstood accessory), remove it.
Check that the center tap has a soft spring feeling when you put your finger on it and that it is not blocked
in the down position, level with the platter.

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Nov 14 2014 8:15 AM

Some recent EPs made of thick vinyl are known to cause this!

Jacques

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sat, Nov 15 2014 12:24 AM

chartz:

Some recent EPs made of thick vinyl are known to cause this!

And if it is one of those new 'heavy' EP's, then the only thing to do is to cue the arm manually into the record's start groove by pressing "< TURN".

omminp
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Silver Member
omminp replied on Tue, Nov 18 2014 3:49 AM

Thanks Martin.  That explains everything I see.  Don't often use 7" records, will be more careful with them in future.  And the other hints are appreciated too - seems I may be the only person who doesn't know about this!  

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS