Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8000 issue/s

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Drummerboy2
Not Ranked
San Diego, California
Posts 47
Bronze Member
Drummerboy2 Posted: Sun, Nov 16 2014 1:24 AM

I just bought a Beogram 8000 that has some issues.

Unit Powers on but  platter doesn't turn, arm doesn't move. There is a light on the sensor arm and a reversed "C" on the last segment of the speed read out display, and a light somewhere else on but that's it! sounds like there is power getting to the main board but I will surely find out once I get this table.

Has anyone here heard of this kind of issue with the 8000? I figured it will be the caps and cold solder joints So I'm ready to start on the repair once it gets here. Hopefully I can save this table.

The guy who sold it to me says it may have worked before being put into storage cause there was a LP still on the platter. I know how storage affects electronics and other things on a turntable.

Hope fully I can fix this. I already downloaded the Service manual for it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Nov 16 2014 2:43 AM

The issues sound common for this turntable (and the Beogram 8002).  The electronics boards recapped and solder reflowed is a good start. After that, if there are still problems, you will have to dig into the other components. Other than the processor there shouldn't be any parts you can't find.

Drummerboy2
Not Ranked
San Diego, California
Posts 47
Bronze Member

Thank You for the reply and info. oh Ok, sound better than what I was thinking before. I was playing on recapping and reflowing all the solder joints cause that what is seems to be with all that not working.

Hopefully that processor isn't toast but the rest of the turntable looks in great shape for it's age. so it not like it was abused or anything else.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Nov 16 2014 3:33 AM

The processor chips are pretty hardy so I would expect it to be fine if the only issue with the turntable is age. If the seller had stated the turntable died during a thunderstorm or something then there would be some concern.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Nov 16 2014 9:15 AM

I realized I forgot to mention a common Beogram 8000 problem that you should plan to fix. There is a small, circular tachodisc that rotates with the turntable. On the BG8000 units that tachodisc is plastic and susceptible to pealing as it ages. If it has gone bad, your BG8000 will not work. There is a metal replacement tachodisc you can purchase from Dillen (Martin) here on the Beoworld forum. Just send him a PM. He can also supply you with a recap kit and tonearm belt.

Drummerboy2
Not Ranked
San Diego, California
Posts 47
Bronze Member

Hi sonavor,

Thank you for that info. I have been reading up on that tachodisc issue and was hoping mine that I bought would be the later revision that didn't have that peeling problem. I will check that out to make sure which one it is. If is the bad tachodisc then I hope Dillen still sells them.

If the cap kit consists of standard value caps then I may just put higher temperature rating Panasonic FM and FC caps. I don't want to do this again for a long time. Plus I will buy extras. If these are non standard caps then I will buy the cap kit, tonearm belt, along with the Tachodisc at the same time.

I will PM dillen just to make sure and hopefully when I get the table it's not that.

Thank you again, I really appreciate the help and info.

Drummerboy2
Not Ranked
San Diego, California
Posts 47
Bronze Member

The 7 pin DIN to RCA adapter cable was bought off ebay from a seller named "AV cablesandmore".

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS