Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

RX2 with MMC 2 Cartridge skipping on some records

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Doubleola
Not Ranked
Berlin
Posts 55
Gold Member
Doubleola Posted: Mon, Nov 24 2014 6:39 AM

I have a RX2 with MMC 2 cartridge that seems to skip on some records without fail but play others fine. I have already adjusted stylus pressure, made sure antiskating was set for MMC 2, but keep getting the same skipping. I tried the same records on my crappy Numark turntable I bought years ago for ripping the vinyl and those same records play without skipping. Any suggestions? I am sort of new to the B&O decks.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Nov 24 2014 7:21 AM

doubleola:

I have a RX2 with MMC 2 cartridge that seems to skip on some records without fail but play others fine. I have already adjusted stylus pressure, made sure antiskating was set for MMC 2, but keep getting the same skipping. I tried the same records on my crappy Numark turntable I bought years ago for ripping the vinyl and those same records play without skipping. Any suggestions? I am sort of new to the B&O decks.

Welcome to Beoworld.

This exact situation was asked here a couple of weeks ago.  How have you checked stylus pressure?   How old is the MMC2 and has it been retipped/rebuilt recently?  If not, the suspension is probably failing on this relatively old cartridge.  You need to measure the stylus pressure accurately i.e. with a digital measuring device - you cannot rely on the tonearm indicator.  Some cartridges need a bit more than the indicated pressure to work and sound optimal.  You can search the forum for this issue in the 'search this site'box.

Of course, some of your vinyl may also be damaged/worn and cause skipping on a sensitive deck like the RX2 but not be affected by the 'not so good' other deck and stylus - which in turn could also be wreaking havoc on your vinyl.

Dave.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Nov 24 2014 7:22 AM

Hi,
Welcome to the Beoworld forum.
A few things could be the source of the RX2 tracking problem -
When you set the stylus pressure, are you using the gauge on the tonearm or have you measured the true stylus force using an external stylus gauge?  The reason I ask is because you can't always go by the setting on the tonearm.
Another issue could be with the MMC2 cartridge itself. The suspensions in the cartridges go bad over time and require rebuilding. Do you know the history of the cartridge? Is it original or has it been rebuilt?
I have never made any service adjustments on an RX2 so I am not sure if the anti-skating adjustment is something that typically needs resetting but I imagine that is also a possibility.

The first thing to verify is the true stylus pressure. After that, the cartridge would be a suspect.  As a test, you could increase the stylus pressure up to 1.5 grams and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then it is an indication that the cartridge suspension needs (or will soon need) rebuilding. If it is already a rebuilt cartridge, then it might require using a higher stylus pressure. That isn't always the case but some other people on the forum have run into that.

-sonavor

Doubleola
Not Ranked
Berlin
Posts 55
Gold Member
Doubleola replied on Mon, Nov 24 2014 8:30 AM

Hi Sonavor and Dave. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I actually only used the gauge to set the pressure to 1g based on the manual recommendations.  I don't really have the history of the Cartridge. I got the turntable this summer from a someone who claimed the RX2 the MMC 2 was close to new with a few hours of play. The RX2 is in pristine shape and except for the few records that skip, sounds amazing.

So I increased the pressure using the gauge dial and it kept skipping till I got to 1.5g and the most offending record stopped skipping completely and plays just fine. Does this mean the cartridge suspension needs rebuilding? If so any recommendations for having it checked out?

Thanks for the quick replies

-Ola 

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Nov 24 2014 9:13 AM

Some advancement then.  Good news.  Though the actual diamond may have little use, the suspension on these cartridges gives way over time. Never fear, they can be rebuilt.  There are a few companies that do this - Axel in Germany is one of the most respected and used:

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/REPARATUR-MMC-1-5/MMC-1-5-Reparatur-mit-elliptischer-Diamant-Nadel.html

If the suspension is really bad, the stylus will really wobble about and you will see the cartridge sag as it touches the vinyl.

Please note that though the tonearm gauge may read 1.5g, the actual pressure could be anything and you won't know until you measure it accurately with a stylus force gauge which actually shows the pressure in g.  A bit like this one I use:

Dave.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Mon, Nov 24 2014 9:39 AM

Its more likely that the gauge is out. Get yourself a tracking force meter, you can get them pretty cheaply off ebay.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Nov 24 2014 6:13 PM

It's pretty easy to change the "zero" position on the tonearm of an RX2.  I would bet the "scale" was just off, and 1 gram was in reality just less.  Balance the tonearm, reset the scale, it'll then be close enough, save your money.

Doubleola
Not Ranked
Berlin
Posts 55
Gold Member
Doubleola replied on Fri, Nov 28 2014 3:04 AM

Thanks everyone! I just ordered a pressure gauge and will check actual pressure when I get it. All seems to be well since making the adjustment and the MMC 2's sound  wonderful.

Doubleola
Not Ranked
Berlin
Posts 55
Gold Member
Doubleola replied on Wed, Dec 10 2014 4:16 PM

Quick update! I got my stylus  gauge and the reading was 1.2g with the MMC 2 at the tracking force where the record doesn't skip anymore. 

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Dec 10 2014 4:45 PM

doubleola:

Quick update! I got my stylus  gauge and the reading was 1.2g with the MMC 2 at the tracking force where the record doesn't skip anymore. 

And what did the coresponding tonearm reading say which equated to the measured 1.2g?

Dave.

Doubleola
Not Ranked
Berlin
Posts 55
Gold Member
Doubleola replied on Wed, Dec 10 2014 5:20 PM

Dave Farr:

doubleola:

And what did the coresponding tonearm reading say which equated to the measured 1.2g?

Dave.

The tonearm reading is 1.5g

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS