Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Advice appreciated from the PROS! Beogram Turntables

This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

matthuplacek
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
matthuplacek Posted: Mon, Dec 1 2014 12:12 AM

Hello Beoworld! I am a B&O enthusiast and user for many years and a brand new member to the forum. I've decided to replace my TV and stereo with a record player. What better to do with my spare time than to select a record and hear it played from a brilliant machine!

That said, I have no idea what to look for. The Beogram 1800 currently listed on Ebay seems awesome but I'm not sure if it's the best model to get, if the cartridge is the best option etc etc. I assume I will be tending to this beauty as I would an old mercedes in which case I'd like to get a model which not only plays records beautifully but one I will have the best chance of repairing, NYC is home FYI. 

Any and all advice from you all would be most appreciated!

Many many thanks!

Matthu 

DavidNYC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Have a look at the photo on the beophile.com web site of the Beogram 1800. It looks like the same photo that is posted on the ebay listing. If it was me I would only post the actual photo of what I was selling or clearly state it was a stock photo.

http://beophile.com/?page_id=686

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Dec 1 2014 1:35 AM

Hi Matthu,

Welcome to Beoworld. So you are ready to take the plunge into vinyl records? I have to say that is still my favorite source of music listening. What is your experience level with vinyl? 

B&O of course has long made a lot of great turntables. You will need to figure out if you want a radial arm turntable or a tangential tracking turntable.  You will also need to decide on a cartridge (and stylus).  There are tons of options (including price) to consider.  Check out the B&O product listing section of Beoworld for pictures and specs of B&O turntables (Beograms).

I have purchased quite a few B&O turntables off Ebay and I have to warn you that a lot of them will require some form of repair. If possible, buy the turntable locally where you can pick it up yourself. The original boxes and packing for B&O turntables were designed to ship them safely to their destinations. Very few turntables sold now still have the original packing material though. What I have found is a lot of the turntable shipments end up badly as moving parts like tonearms and platters are not secured properly. Living in NYC, I think you should have a high probability of finding a nice B&O turntable that you can pick up and avoid a shipping disaster.

-sonavor

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

Hi Matthu,

B&O made some fine turntables so in a way you're spoiled for choice.  Another thing to think about is which amplifier you want to run it with - this will also dictate if you need a TT with an inbuilt pre-amp (RIAA) or not .  Then, you need to think about speakers.

Many TT's bought online have damaged cartridges, mainly broken cantilevers or in the case of some B&O cartridges (MMC1-5's) failed suspension which need to be rebuilt/retipped.  This of course adds to the expense.  It isn't cheap these days to go the vintage TT route.

Use the advice above and check out the Beogram Record Deck options in the products section.  Local collection is always better than risking shipping. Many sellers once they have your cash don't care how it's packed and won't secure the tonearm, remove the cartridge, lock the transit screws etc which will result in potentially catastrophic damage.  Some will - the responsible ones.  You have to decide how much you want to risk it?  Some garage sales in the US have produced some real bargains with B&O so look around.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Dave.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Dec 1 2014 2:17 PM

I'm always amazed why people use stock pictures when selling items, it smacks of either something to hide or can't be bothered which then reflects to me on ownership care.

It's like going to a restaurant where they use pictures..... beware.

On the plus side I own a BeoGram 7000 turntable (tangential tone arm with RIAA amp) and its my pride and joy, I can't add to the good advice given apart from I've enjoyed using it every time over the past 6 years, only annoyance for me is the warping of the perspex deck cover which seems the norm to most.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Dec 1 2014 3:08 PM

Do remember that you will need more than just a record player - you will need an amplifier capable of being attached to the record player and speakers as well.

I would suggest a couple of slightly off beat courses.

1. Buy a B&O music centre. The one I would recommend would be a Beocenter 7700 - superb record player, excellent amplifier and a fine cassette player and radio thrown in. Possibly available at a similar price to the record player alone.

2. Go vintage! A Beolab 5000 system with either a Beogram 4000 or a Beogram 3000 Thorens would make quite a statement and sounds as good as any record playing system B&O has made. If you want the very best, Frede at Classic Audio in Denmark will be able to provide you with the whole system - at a price.

Peter

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

If you are able to restore and repair vintage, I would recommend Beomaster 2400, BG 2404, Beovox P45. With the BM 2400 you can connect CD or sound from your TV or other source.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Dec 1 2014 8:31 PM

matthuplacek:

Hello Beoworld! I am a B&O enthusiast and user for many years and a brand new member to the forum. I've decided to replace my TV and stereo with a record player. What better to do with my spare time than to select a record and hear it played from a brilliant machine!

I don't quite understand this... Do you want to replace your stereo with a record player..? Or is this just a typo?

I guess you have a stereo system and want a record player as a supplement to it..?
In that case... It is easier, if you tell us which stereo system you have to use with the Beogram.
The 1800 is a very good turntable. Well - most of the Beogram's are -but remember: they are 20+ years by now, so they can have mechanical/electronic issues. But they can be repaired -and they are worth it. (Says this man who owns 5 Beograms) Big Smile

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Dec 2 2014 3:08 AM

DavidNYC:

Have a look at the photo on the beophile.com web site of the Beogram 1800. It looks like the same photo that is posted on the ebay listing. If it was me I would only post the actual photo of what I was selling or clearly state it was a stock photo.

http://beophile.com/?page_id=686

I really distrust such ads too, ones that either use a stock photo or a blurry pic. When I sell anything I make sure to post multiple, clear, well lit pictures from all angles. I want the buyer to have a good idea of what they are getting. 

Dependimg on what the OP has already a Beocenter could be a simple, stylish, answer. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

matthuplacek
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Good Call David! Although I did not win the auction I appreciate the warning. Thank you kindly!

matthuplacek
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Thank you kindly David! Good call!

matthuplacek
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Hey guys!

WOW! I'm truly grateful for your time and attention. I can't seem to figure out how to reply to each of you individually so I hope you all see this post. Its my first time using a forum and had no idea I would get such thoughtful replies. Thank you all so very much!

David, Sonavor, Dave Farr, Mark, Peter, Soren, Steffen, Jeff I am very grateful and hope I can check in with you all again as I move forward. 

I've been warned that I will need to visit the TT doc and am prepared to do so within reason. I just found a Beogram 3000 WITH the original box! Its cheap but has no stylus but then I found an unused in the box stylus and cartridge for $150. Seems like a deal?! 

To clarify, I've decided to get rid of any kind of distracting none analog entertainment at home and focus on selecting a record and listening to it from a beautiful machine. That means the TV goes as does the all in one stereo for the Ipod! Time to slow down and enjoy and carefully selected record. No what I mean? Too many choices these days.

Thank you all once again, I will dive into all of these suggestions and see where it takes me!

Grateful!

Matthu

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS