Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Smoker or non-smoker?

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz Posted: Sun, May 20 2012 1:17 PM

What's the difference between these two plugs? Their age? No, both 1974. A Beocord  and a Beomaster of the same vintage!

That one is not too bad, I've seen worse!

Jacques

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, May 20 2012 1:27 PM

It is scary to see how smoking makes everything worse. I really can't understand how people can continue day after day, buying expensive poison that not just pollutes their environment and health but everyone around them also.

And poor electronics taking alot of the hit also :( :)

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, May 20 2012 5:57 PM

Michael:

It is scary to see how smoking makes everything worse. I really can't understand how people can continue day after day, buying expensive poison that not just pollutes their environment and health but everyone around them also.

+1

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

My second Beogram 4000 had it's AC-cable covered in yellow goo - I had never seen worse. The earlier owner had smoked pipe in all 39 years he had it Ick!

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, May 20 2012 6:33 PM

Jacques are you sure it is smoke in this situation? I find it very rare to see power leads as clean as the one you compare to, and generally nicotine stained examples are quite obvious! i do wonder if other environmental factors such as sunlight, local heat source such as radiator might have a similar effect on the plastics?

Michael:

Well, consider yourself a lucky person for never being in that situation. I use to smoke many rollies a day (typically 40 -50) the majority of which I didn't really enjoy. I was quite envious of what I called 'social smokers'. No conventional methods worked to wean me off the sticks, in the end I found out about aversion therapy - put simply, a rubber band round the wrist and for every smoke related thought, every drag of a ciggy I would administer a painful flick of the rubber band. This method resulted in my not smoking after two weeks, didn't even have to try! Now it annoys me that this is not mentioned by GP's as I believe many people would benefit, but of course there is no money in the rubber band market lol so this is why I am using the opportunity now to spread the word and take me off topic a little..

Olly

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, May 20 2012 6:39 PM

I have got a beomaster that almost turned yellow with nicotine and when opened up the stink that flew out was horrible!. Real nasty to clean up!

Søren Hammer:

My second Beogram 4000 had it's AC-cable covered in yellow goo - I had never seen worse. The earlier owner had smoked pipe in all 39 years he had it Ick!

Olly

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 20 2012 6:48 PM

Yes, it was nicotine. But I had already cleaned it (Mr Clean) before taking the photo!

The clean one on the left is typical of well taken care of B&O. Nearly all my B&O plugs/power cables look like that, including my Beogram 4000!

My Beocenter 3500 was covered in nicotine inside out and a pig to clean. I replaced the power cable altogether!

Anyway, smoking is indeed a waste of money and causes 400,000 deaths every year in France. I used to be a "passive smoker" before my other half quit 10 years ago. She nonetheless had cancer last year. But that's another matter.

Edit: I've just had a time-out.

Jacques

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Step1:

I have got a beomaster that almost turned yellow with nicotine and when opened up the stink that flew out was horrible!. Real nasty to clean up!

I was lucky enough that the lid of the Beogram had been closed almost all the time - It looks and smells clean inside. He also had a Beomaster 4000 to go along with the Beogram. The rosewood was yellowing and the perspex slide rule pointers had become opaque. It was disgusting.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:24 PM

Sometimes there's a pleasant surprise, though... I got my MX2000 from somebody who didn't smoke, but apparently some previous owner did - so the stench had dissolved before I got it. At first I was disappointed by the somewhat fuzzy & dim picture, until it dawned to me that the inside of the contrast glass and the surface of the tube were covered in yellow haze! After I cleaned it, the picture was amazingly vibrant and razor sharp Smile (yes, I still greatly prefer it over the softness of later models with RGB input)

--mika

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:56 PM

Step1:

Well, consider yourself a lucky person for never being in that situation. I use to smoke many rollies a day (typically 40 -50) the majority of which I didn't really enjoy. I was quite envious of what I called 'social smokers'. No conventional methods worked to wean me off the sticks, in the end I found out about aversion therapy - put simply, a rubber band round the wrist and for every smoke related thought, every drag of a ciggy I would administer a painful flick of the rubber band. This method resulted in my not smoking after two weeks, didn't even have to try! Now it annoys me that this is not mentioned by GP's as I believe many people would benefit, but of course there is no money in the rubber band market lol so this is why I am using the opportunity now to spread the word and take me off topic a little..

Im happy that you were able to quit and its almost amazing how much people who smoke - smoke. I have a mother who smokes so I know very well but I have never been a smoker myself which I am happy for.

The cheapest ideas is often the simplest ones = the ones that work best and I think your solution sounds great, it would probably work for most people. Start educating people and perhaps you will get rewarded for your effort in one way or another :) 

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:54 PM

I don't think that only smoke could be the reason that they become yellow.

Ever seen computers or printers 10 years+ of age and they are not used in a smoky environment, at least not in my case! Horrible yellow.

Brengen & Ophalen

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, May 20 2012 10:30 PM

Leslie:

I don't think that only smoke could be the reason that they become yellow.

Ever seen computers or printers 10 years+ of age and they are not used in a smoky environment, at least not in my case! Horrible yellow.

Smoke is not always the (only) problem but things do degrade over time. Depending on materials and chemical structures they do turn in colour. Most common is probably the lack of UV-protection in plastic and paint that makes it turn yellow just as we get tanned in the sun :).

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, May 20 2012 10:35 PM

Exactly! Do people get tanned by smoking?Big Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:

Exactly! Do people get tanned by smoking?Big Smile

I do my very best, but noBig Smile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, May 20 2012 10:50 PM

Sorry Soren Big Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Mon, May 21 2012 12:39 AM

Anything placed in the sun goes yellow too. In the past I have had few silver & white CX speakers where one was yellower than it's matching pair caused by it's positioning.  I've seen 70's Beolits with sunlight damage too, normally a shadow where the handle has protected it. Smokers goo is another matter but as I don't really play with vintage stuff  I haven't come across that for years

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS