Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1000 motor

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz Posted: Sat, Dec 13 2014 8:50 AM

Hi,

I have just found - it had to happen, didn't it? - a nice minty Beogram 1000 for the Beomaster 1000 that Dave gave me.

It belonged to a charming old couple that had had it since new. They did sell the rest of the system too!

It is plagued with the slow-at-startup syndrome of course. That was expected anyway!

My problem is that the pulley and the disc are not removable (no grub screws) and I daren't do anything that could bend the motor shaft. I did do my homework, but couldn't find any conclusive method.

How do you do it please?

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 8:53 AM

Are the pulley and disc stuck together? 

Has anybody here fixed their BG 1000? Sad

Jacques

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

These pulley's are heat treated when fitted,so will need to be heated to remove.I usually take the motor out and dismantle it without removing the pulley.You can get to the bearing from 'tother side to soak it in new oil.

If the motor seems to spin freely though,you may have tired field coils,for which a rewind is needed,argh!

Nick

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 4:16 PM

Double post, sorry.

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 4:19 PM

Ta Nick, but then you won't be able to remove the old lubricant from the upper bearing, which I understand plays a large part in the slow start.

Given that he motor takes some time to reach its normal speed, and that it keeps stable thereafter - I guess the time needed to warm up the motor and have the hardened grease softened a bit - I believe the motor is fine.

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 6:24 AM

I am on my own on this one, but when I eventually come up with something, I will update of course, with pictures to boot.

Jacques

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

You could be right,but then again?

Why not try heating the pulley(with the motor off the deck of course)

Taking a while to reach speed is another indicater of tired winding's too.

Good luck with it,they are allways worth fixing.

Nick

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:23 PM

solderon29:

Good luck with it,they are allways worth fixing.

Of course they are, especially when in mint condition like this one! Pictures will follow.

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jan 5 2015 6:35 PM

Sorry, I lied, no pictures, forgot to take them.Embarrassed

BUT the news is good, because the motor is now running fine, even from cold.

I could not take the pulley out, even with heat applied. Never mind, because it was possible to introduce some hot oil on both sides. And this sintered brass bearing was not stuck anyway.

The bottom one was a different story!

I had to dip it in oil at the temperature of 100 degrees C, which is the temperature of boiling water. So I boiled water and put a small jar filled with oil (Mobil 1 is fine) into the boiling water until the oil was at about 95 degrees (a bain-marie). Then I allowed the bearing to bathe in the heated oil for half an hour, and let it cool down.

I soaked the felt washer, which was completely dry, with Mobil DTE oil, put a little grease on the thrust pad at the bottom, and reassembled.

It worked first time, the motor starting instantly and silently ever since (that was one week ago) and speed being rock-steady.

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS