Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8000 hum in right channel

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Drummerboy2
Not Ranked
San Diego, California
Posts 47
Bronze Member
Drummerboy2 Posted: Thu, Dec 18 2014 6:37 AM

Well, my Beogram 8000 is running fine but I just got my 7 pin DIN to RCA with separate ground today. I hooked it up and the table sound ok but I get a hum from the right channel and the upper highs seem to be missing, the cartridge sound good with very good center imaging but that hum in the right channel is driving me crazy. It's not really noticeable and lower volumes but when I turn it up a little the right channel hum is loud. I disconnected the table and the hum went away so it not the phono preamp. It sounds like the right channel is not grounded.

Could this be an issue with the 7 pin DIN to RCA? Also does that shinny plate under the cover below the tonearm in rest position have any thing to do with this because mine is off at the moment? I will check all grounds from the RCA to 7 pin DIN and back into the deck. I hope it's not the cartridge.

Anyone here had this problem? what was the issue?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 6:50 AM

It has to be in the cable path somewhere (maybe in side the Beogram).  I have a BG4002 that had a very faint hum until I replaced the cable.
With your new cable, you are connecting the ground wire to the chassis ground point on your preamp?  On the Beogram 8000, the 7-pin DIN is only necessary if you are wanting the control functionality from a Beomaster like the 6000 or 8000. The 5-pin has all the signals you need for a non-B&O preamp (RH, RL, LH, LL and shield ground).  What happens when you touch the ground wire in your new table?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 7:23 AM

Multiple post on the same deck then! You do have our attention you know!

What do you plug your Beogram to?

Jacques

Drummerboy2
Not Ranked
San Diego, California
Posts 47
Bronze Member

My BG 8000 is connected to my Musical Paradise MP-P1 Phono Preamp. The 7 Pin DIN to RCA adapter I bought on ebay. I have a feeling it's either adapter or its a bad connection internally since the cartridge  The cartridge Plays fine and except for that very faint hum in the right channel. This MMC20CL cartridge tracks very well too!

I will check everything out later today when I get home from work.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:13 PM

chartz:

Multiple post on the same deck then! You do have our attention you know!

I was going to say the same thing regarding your forum posts Drummerboy2.
When you start a thread in the forum on a project, such as your Beogram 8000, just keep posting to that thread. Otherwise, when you create a new thread for new questions about the same project, it is hard for people to follow later. If all the questions about your Beogram are together in one thread, it is an easier story to read.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:26 PM

That eBay adaptor looks ominous to me. You should have got it from Steve!

Jacques

Drummerboy2
Not Ranked
San Diego, California
Posts 47
Bronze Member

well, I didn't want it to get buried in a long thread, but will post back to the original post of my BG 8000

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS