Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beogram 8002 wire color positions for din board

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

ktroyh
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
ktroyh Posted: Sun, Dec 21 2014 12:16 AM

Hello all,

I opened the case of my 8002 turntable today to align the pickup arm and found the scene below.

Can anyone tell me the wire color positions for re-soldering this din board??

Many thanks,

Troy

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I hope you aren't working on the Beogram 8002 without the service manual.

Here how the phono signal wiring should be (click on the picture to see the full image).

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I dug through my picture archive of some of my Beogram 8002 projects. I found a couple of the phono output signals. I strongly recommend you take lots of before and after pictures of any of these restoration projects.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is a better angle of the wires attached to the output board.

ktroyh
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
ktroyh replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 5:01 PM

I can see our wire colors are not the same at all. Ant thoughts? 

ktroyh
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
ktroyh replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 6:09 PM

It appears my green and blue may be your uninsulated speaker grounds. My red and white must be the the right and left channel speakers where yours are both white. My uninsulated wire must be your blue which is??

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 7:56 PM

Yep
It looks like your Red wire = Right Channel Phono signal (One of my White wires)
                       Green wire = Right Channel Phono ground (Shield on my White wire)
                        White wire = Left Channel Phono signal (One of my White wires)
                          Blue wire = Left Channel Phono ground (Shield on my White wire)

The Brown wire looks the same as what my picture has.
There is a Blue and Gray wire on your bottom picture (and on mine) that connect together.

My Right and Left White signal wires attach to the second and fourth pad (from the right in our picture).
The Brown wire attaches to the third pad.
A Blue wire attaches to the first pad (the wire that also connects back with the Gray wire)...So it looks like you might need to add that wire.
The Right and Left shield wires attach to pads five and six (which connect together).
The Gray wire, like yours, attaches to pad seven.
Purple to pad eight and Black to pad nine.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 8:01 PM

Looking at your picture more closely, I think the pad I call the first pad (with a Blue wire on mine) should have the shield wire from your cable that has your phono signals.  There is silver shield wire in your picture with your Red, Blue, White and Green wires.  I think that silver shield wire should go to the first pad.  The rest go like I mentioned above.

ktroyh
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
ktroyh replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 8:18 PM

I agree the only question I have is which is right and left channel between your whites?

I did a continuity check between the din 3 and the board and din 5 and the board and got continuity between din 3 and board 2 and 4. Then the same result between din 5 and 2 and 4 on the board. I fully expected to have continuity between say din 3 and board 2 and din 5 and board 4 or visa versa but not both.

Any ideas?

ktroyh
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
ktroyh replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 8:18 PM

I agree the only question I have is which is right and left channel between your whites?

I did a continuity check between the din 3 and the board and din 5 and the board and got continuity between din 3 and board 2 and 4. Then the same result between din 5 and 2 and 4 on the board. I fully expected to have continuity between say din 3 and board 2 and din 5 and board 4 or visa versa but not both.

Any ideas?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Going by the turntable wiring board diagram here and looking at your wiring, you know that your Right channel is the Red wire and the Left channel is the White wire. 
From the DIN socket you know that Pin 5 is the Right channel and Pin 3 is the Left channel. So check continuity between those DIN socket pins and pads 2 and 4 on the board.  That will tell you which pad to connect the Red and White wires to.

One thing to remember about continuity on those phono signals, they go through a muting relay on the board. So with power off, the Left and Right signals are shorted to the shields (low side of the phono signals).  That is why you would see them measure together.
If you can't tell by the traces between the relay pins (8 and 9) to the respective pads, you might have to unsolder the relay and make your continuity check.  Relay Pin 8 = Left, Relay Pin 9 = Right.

ktroyh
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
ktroyh replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 10:32 PM

I'm not going to pull the relay because that may cause more problems than it solves. All things being equal I have a 50/50 chance at getting it right and after looking at my original pictures they wire positions improved those odds. I will re post after I get my cartridge and adapter cable.

ktroyh
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
ktroyh replied on Mon, Dec 29 2014 5:34 AM

So the connections are now done and the channels are correct and working.

On to the next issues.

Thanks for everyone help!!

Troy

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS