Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay S8

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

jinabe
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
jinabe Posted: Sat, Jan 3 2015 8:35 AM

I had the intention of using the beoplay s8 for the computer at work. I have many hours to listen to the music and I think, that speakers would give me a very good quality of sound.

But , at the shop, they told me it was a bad idea because the S8 , been active speakers, they are working constantly and by the time they get broken down.

Any other think that the S8 connected to the 3,5 socket of the computer  is a bad or good idea for this or other reasons?

Jinabe

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jan 3 2015 11:35 PM

Most products with moving parts are rated by duty cycles.

So a consumer printer for example has a lower duty cycle that an office printer.

I would have thought whether it was active or passive the moving parts of a speaker are the same .....

Now it may be that a consumer speaker is expected to only be used for several hours a day, whereas a coffee lounge speaker is expected to do 12+ hours a day.. Where as a concert speaker is expected to do a few hours, but be driven hard to maximum capacity.

It could be the store's people were thinking along these lines when they gave you their advice.

On the other hand, my BeoLab 3s often get many hours of usage on the weekend - however they are idle on most week days except for television work in the evenings :)

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Quite a lot Beoworlders use their speakers 'all day long', I am sure.

I see no real problem there - and don't understand the 'concerns' of that shop.

The alternative would be not to have music.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member
markiedee replied on Sun, Jan 4 2015 12:51 AM

I don't think you would have a problem at all, the s8 will switch on when they detect a signal and switch to standby when they don't have a signal so can't see any problems.

they would be fine connected to your computer at work.

Beoplay A2

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Sun, Jan 4 2015 9:57 AM

Based on my experience with BeoLab 4000 I would never recommend active speakers for a computer setup  I don't believe they will break down as the shop told, but as stated above, they will switch on and off according to a signal being present or not. This is very very annoying while connected to a computer, which will produce sound when making errors, receiving mails and so on. The speakers will constantly switch on and off, while being too late to actually produce the sound. That's why I switched to Bose speakers at that time, which were actually designed for computer usage. I have no experience with S8 however maybe this behaviour has been corrected somehow. Streaming to some sort of bluetooth/airplay device would be a far better solution in my opinion, maybe with S8 connected to it.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I would never have a set of (active) speakers connected to a PC/Mac without having a USB-DAC in between.

The headphone out of 99% of the computers are way too bad for any of the speakers, I would want to listen to all day long.

USB-DAC's  often can be turned on/off and have a better volumen control, than the internal PC/Mac's have. Regard them as small preamps! You can have them from pretty cheap to very expensive. Worth investing in, if you listen to music all day long. If you invest in a set of B&O speaker, that extra money should not be the problem.

As for sounds from the 'errors' (you mean on a PC Stick out tongue), mail notifications etc, this is just a matter of sound settings.

So with a little 'expertice' there is no reason not to choose a set like the S8 for the computer.

Note: the S8 has different input-mode settings.

MM

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Sun, Jan 4 2015 11:48 AM

;-)

Maybe an external DAC is a good solution. Hadn't thought about that yet.

regards,
Joost

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member
markiedee replied on Sun, Jan 4 2015 11:57 AM

I currently use my beolab 14s through a Logitech bluetooth adapter with my phone acting as the volume control and listen to spotify through it, the sound quality is amazing.

Beoplay A2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Of course that is possible - even if it is not the best of all solutions.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I wonder why the dealers don't provide all these informations.

If I were a dealer - and wanted to sell my products - I surely would.

The S8 is a great set - especially if you consider the price of it.

MM

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

But think how much more amazing the sound quality would be with a proper DAC ;)

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

...and proper FLAC/ALAC files Smile

MM

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

...and proper FLAC/ALAC files

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

As long as the source is vinyl ;)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Well, well - if you please.

I wouldn't bother with 'ripping' vinyl.

WiMP/Tidal in FLAC (plus my own ripped CD's/plain CD's) are fine with me.

The source of vinyl's is mostly digital anyway.

MM

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member

I have my eye on a Dac that i will be purchasing soon but for now the Logitech bluetooth adapter paired with my phone does a very good job currently.

Before my loewe tv went back I had my beolab 14s connected to it so I'm very aware of how good the sound quality is especially when listening to PCM Dolby digital and dts encoded material.

Beoplay A2

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Personally, I am more than happy with spotify in 320. But i am looking forward to using Tidal when it becomes avaliable.

Back to the subject, I connected a Fiio Kunlun E18 between my macbook and my BL4000.

The sound could not be compared. And this was just with a portable dac to be used with a cell-phone..

Dac is a must, atleast with macbooks.

jinabe
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
jinabe replied on Sun, Jan 4 2015 8:55 PM

Good ideas here for a newbie. What do you think about these two options?: a) One S8 set speakers connected through a DAC to the computer or b) one A9 speaker via airplay. I like deep bass sound and I guess the S8 would be a better option, even more, since you say that the DAC improves the sound a lot.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I would go for the S8. Then you can place the satellites further apart to get the stereo sound. You can also connect them to an airport express. The airport express has optical out, so you can put a sac between the airport and the S8.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

...or a Playmaker.

MM

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS