Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Tue, Mar 31 2015 10:28 AM

Mikael:

Any news from affected owners?

Yes, and it's not good.  B&O's official position is that it will neither support nor recommend that H8s will work with all Bluetooth devices, be they MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, or other mobile devices.  Commentary from my local B&O shop on this is mostly smug and truculent. So, I have good connectivity and range with my iPhone but not with my MacBook (where I would like it most).  

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 7:33 AM

An Airplay speaker that has an unstable connection to networks and Bluetooth headphones that have an unstable Bluetooth connection. A company that is less than frank about the issues.

Having owned B&O kit since a BC7700 in 1981 I am finding it more difficult to see me moving on past my current BV10, BL6000 and BC3200.  Somehow B&O are not giving the same air of innovation, quality and reliability any more.

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 11:04 AM

Mark:

An Airplay speaker that has an unstable connection to networks and Bluetooth headphones that have an unstable Bluetooth connection. A company that is less than frank about the issues.

Having owned B&O kit since a BC7700 in 1981 I am finding it more difficult to see me moving on past my current BV10, BL6000 and BC3200.  Somehow B&O are not giving the same air of innovation, quality and reliability any more.

Your comments echo my sentiments exactly.  What's worse, a few days ago I'm told that these and other B&O Play products are not repairable.  That is, if and when they break down they will be replaced if in warranty status, or MAY be eligible for a prorated replacement if out of warranty status.  Items on beoplay.com are considered entry-level and obviously disposable.  Still have my Beogram 8K.  THAT was innovative and high quality.

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 11:27 AM

Duspin:
Still have my Beogram 8K.  THAT was innovative and high quality

It is a different world now. It is a good thing B&O changed also. Device's are obsolete before you know it nowadays. Look at BeoPlay A8, or Beoplay A3 for example. There's no need to repair these devices after a few years, nobody wants and/or needs them anymore.

But I agree, they should function without any issues when new. And most certainly not have connectivity issues/dropouts and like. That ruins the experience completely.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 11:36 AM

Duspin:
Yes, and it's not good.  B&O's official position is that it will neither support nor recommend that H8s will work with all Bluetooth devices, be they MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, or other mobile devices.  Commentary from my local B&O shop on this is mostly smug and truculent. So, I have good connectivity and range with my iPhone but not with my MacBook (where I would like it most).  

Did they say that? It doesn't sound good. My H8 has been skipping a lot these days and I have been talking with B&O about it and they seemed very interested in trying to solve the issue then. I guess they might have found the issue and realized it is to expensive to fix, but I hope not.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 12:00 PM

Michael:

Duspin:

Did they say that? It doesn't sound good. My H8 has been skipping a lot these days and I have been talking with B&O about it and they seemed very interested in trying to solve the issue then. I guess they might have found the issue and realized it is to expensive to fix, but I hope not.

Michael, BeoCare's response to me was:  "I received feedback from Denmark, In principle a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled product with A2DP Bluetooth profile should be able to send music to the BeoPlay H8. Practical tests have shown a very differentiated market picture. Most newer computers with updated software and adequate hardware should be able to connect to BeoPlay H8, but we are not able to recommend or support this setup."  Mind you, the H8 and devices tend to pair well, however, sustained connectivity is the problem.  

Clarification of that rather perplexing statement (I believe the writer is an accomplished ESL person) was:  "Unfortunately we can't guarantee the same bluetooth performance with all Apple laptops."  I get that this person was delivering a message.  But, that doesn't seem to provide an explanation as to why globally there is hit-and-miss connectivity with all types of devices.  E.g., I have a problem with my MacBook but not my iPhone.  Some have no problems with their laptops but can't get clear, consistent connectivity with their mobile products--Apple or not.

You're lucky your local B&O is willing to work with you.  The shop in my area is only interested in refunding me the purchase price. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 3:46 PM

Duspin:

Michael:

Duspin:

Michael, BeoCare's response to me was:  "I received feedback from Denmark, In principle a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled product with A2DP Bluetooth profile should be able to send music to the BeoPlay H8. Practical tests have shown a very differentiated market picture. Most newer computers with updated software and adequate hardware should be able to connect to BeoPlay H8, but we are not able to recommend or support this setup."  Mind you, the H8 and devices tend to pair well, however, sustained connectivity is the problem.  

Clarification of that rather perplexing statement (I believe the writer is an accomplished ESL person) was:  "Unfortunately we can't guarantee the same bluetooth performance with all Apple laptops."  I get that this person was delivering a message.  But, that doesn't seem to provide an explanation as to why globally there is hit-and-miss connectivity with all types of devices.  E.g., I have a problem with my MacBook but not my iPhone.  Some have no problems with their laptops but can't get clear, consistent connectivity with their mobile products--Apple or not.

You're lucky your local B&O is willing to work with you.  The shop in my area is only interested in refunding me the purchase price. 

Duspin, sounds bad but are you the guy with the modified Mac? That has a newer Bluetooth card than the computer itself? That might be the issue if the AptX-codec is programmed to take use of perhaps instructions in a newer cpu or something except for just the Bluetooth card itself. 

I have the issues mainly with my iPhone but also with my Mac. The problem with the dropouts is obviously in the H8 design and I think they have too small buffer in the H8´s which makes it run out of data to quick and that the antenna gets to much bad data to cope (even if signal is good it is faulty packages coming in). I remember my old minidisc with 40 second shake buffer. :D 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Very interesting thoughts, Michael..

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 4:12 PM

Michael:

Duspin:

Michael:

Duspin:

Duspin, sounds bad but are you the guy with the modified Mac? That has a newer Bluetooth card than the computer itself? That might be the issue if the AptX-codec is programmed to take use of perhaps instructions in a newer cpu or something except for just the Bluetooth card itself. 

I have the issues mainly with my iPhone but also with my Mac. The problem with the dropouts is obviously in the H8 design and I think they have too small buffer in the H8´s which makes it run out of data to quick and that the antenna gets to much bad data to cope (even if signal is good it is faulty packages coming in). I remember my old minidisc with 40 second shake buffer. :D 

Indeed, Michael, you're probably correct about the codec, but that was fixed with a very handy tool so that BT 4.0 would be recognized and fully functional with appropriate codecs.  Bluetooth expert tells me it wasn't necessary to have done the upgrade b/c BT is backwards compatible. 

What you deduced is, I believe, the real issue.  Too small buffer (accounting for the speed up one hears occasionally) and the antenna receiving too much bad data.  I can be stationary without moving a muscle for 10 minutes then all of a sudden the sound drops out, but only within close range.  I also have a tool (Bluetooth Explorer) that constantly monitors BT signal so I can see in real time what raw RSSI the H8s are running.  It needs to be -60 or higher but usually hovers around -70+ which isn't good at all, hence the dropouts.

tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 125
Founder
tobeyone replied on Thu, Apr 2 2015 12:52 AM
Just had a 2 1/2 hour flight with my new H8's that I received on Tuesday. Really good. Comfortable. No dropouts from my iPhone. Very happy customer again!!
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I am going to Krabi, Thailand on Saturday. Will be a 20 hour journey. H6 or H8 that is the question..

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Apr 2 2015 10:57 AM
tobeyone:

Just had a 2 1/2 hour flight with my new H8's that I received on Tuesday. Really good. Comfortable. No dropouts from my iPhone. Very happy customer again!!

Not a lot of disturbing signals etc in an airplane. So not surprising.

Dave
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
Dave replied on Thu, Apr 2 2015 11:07 PM

Michael:

Haha yes. Well I had the same thought but I like the look of them on my head actually. But I could do without the gold. Probably getting the darker ones to play it safe. If any. I don't really need more headphones but I swear everyday about the damn cables :D. 

Don't think battery life will be better on my iphone with wireless headphones tough. But I am curious, perhaps the battery life won't be affected much. I mean having to send the audio over bluetooth instead of amplifying it - perhaps it takes the same amour of energy, perhaps even less.. 

Which colour did you go for Michael?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Apr 3 2015 3:52 AM

leosgonewild:

I am going to Krabi, Thailand on Saturday. Will be a 20 hour journey. H6 or H8 that is the question..

Although I don't have any H8's yet to compare (waiting and waiting and waiting on the darker ones), I can say I am somewhat disappointed in the performance of my H6s on a plane.  Maybe if you're flying 1st class on a jumbo jet, they'd be OK.  Back in coach on a 767 (and smaller), enough of the drone comes through that you might as well be listening to mediocre headphones.  I went back to my in-ear yamaha's for air travel because they sound better (to me) because they block more of the noise and are easier to carry.  Still really like the H6s at my desk or other reasonably quiet areas, but noise cancelling, they are not.

Stan

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
leosgonewild:

I'd go the H8 for the noise cancelling.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Btw:  I am curious how comfortable H8 feel for those who wear glasses? (...completely forgot on that aspect).

Scuttlebroom
Not Ranked
London
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Well I am a glasses wearer, and I have purchased a pair of H8's (the Agrilla Brights, as they were the last pair Hanover Square in London had!) and they are OK to wear, but after a while they do become noticble, and I simply re-adjust them.  I poppoed into the Nrompton Road store trying to get the brown Peak bag and stand from Hard Graft (finally manged to get one from BeoPlay website and they look amazing!) and they asked how I was getting used to them,and I likended it to breaking in a pair of good quality shoes, which is working for me.  I wear them for around an hour or so before my ears get warm and I need to readjust and rub my ears.  One note of caution, if you are like me and swap your galsses for presription sungalsses, be carweful when removing the glasses, as they tend to get stuck, I have to remove the H8's first, then swap glasses/sunglasses, as I nearly dropped the H8's! In conclusion, I wouldn't go back to any normal headphones, they make everything I listen too (music, audio books, TV) much richer and I am not contstantly pushing in ear headphones back into my ears, as they tend to slip out all the time.

I have noticed the BT dropouts, but only when using my Moto G which has Lollipop 5.02 and I thoink it is more of an issue with that versuion as other Moto G Lollipo users have said that after they upgraded to Lollipop from KitKat, they noticed that BT dropdded out a lot, no matter what device they were trying to connect to.  If i use the H8's with my Win 8.1 laptop with a Kinivo BT 4.0 USB dongle I get no droputs at all from the H8's or if used with a 1st Gen Tesco Hudl, and a Samsung Galaxy tab on Kitkat.  I am hoping that when Moto finally ugdate to lollipop 5.1 howpfully next week, they BT issue will go away!  All I do when it happens, is stop playing music, and close the app (google music) and restart, and the dropouts stop.

I am also waiting for the BT adapter that is being brought out to let me use the H8's with my BV3 32" and my LG TV, hopefully next week they will be in B&O stores in London.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Scuttlebroom:

I am also waiting for the BT adapter that is being brought out to let me use the H8's with my BV3 32" and my LG TV, hopefully next week they will be in B&O stores in London.

Which BT adapter....in B&O stores?

Could you be a bit more specific?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Scuttlebroom
Not Ranked
London
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Well apparently a non B&O technical guy has come up with an adapter that plugs into the headphone socket that allows the H8's to work in Bluetooth mode.  I can't remember the name of the person or company that are making the adapter, but Hanover Square (they first told me about it), Brompton Road and Harrods branches mentioned it, and they said it was due in April this year, as they have been testing it on both non bluetoothed B&O equipment and non B&O equipment.  I did ask Harrods if they knew the cost, and they said around £35.

I did email Hanover Squatre to ask them to advise me when it is in stock, and i will keep chasing them, propbaly toward the end of next week, and i wiull post details here pf how you cna hold of it!

It means I cna get both my BV3 32" and LG TV to use the H8's in Bluetooth mode, as I have a Bletooth dongle on my LG TV for their magic remote, but it doesn't see the H8's!

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Apr 4 2015 12:02 AM
In my experience, bt and video do not work well together. Bt causes a delay which makes the words out of sync with the pictures. This has nothing to do with the H8, but applies to all bt devices that I have used.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
10-hour flight from Oslo to Bangkok, and I get a 2-year old next to me. This will be the most extreme test of the H8's ever!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Looking forward to the results of that test Travel

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Scuttlebroom
Not Ranked
London
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Well I have used the H8's on my laptop via a BT adapter and they wprk pr=erfectky for video, and no sync issues, and they also work of I miracast my laptop to my LG tv the sound os synced perfectly to the LG tv.

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sat, Apr 4 2015 8:09 PM

Great!  What BT adapter did you use?

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
leosgonewild:

10-hour flight from Oslo to Bangkok, and I get a 2-year old next to me. This will be the most extreme test of the H8's ever!

At least you'll have some more reasonable conversation with a 2 year old than some others Big Smile

Safe flight Leo.

Happy Songkran

The weather will change a little now from when I was in Thailand a few weeks ago.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
That was one quite kid Big Smile

Scuttlebroom
Not Ranked
London
Posts 12
Bronze Member

I got this one and it works great!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-BTD-400-Bluetooth-Energy-Adapter/dp/B007Q45EF4

chris8535
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Picked up a set of H8's this weekend for the my constantly flights.  These are really exceptional headphones.  A pleasantly neutral, but still very warm response, perfect mids, and a exceptionally wide stage.  

Bluetooth is a little finicky on re-connecting on the iPhone 6, but i think this is more of an OS problem.

Excellent cans and well worth the premium.  Now the problem is my girlfriend is dying for the rose gold versions for herself :)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
However the rose gold ones are H6 and not H8. So if Bluetooth is not an issue and she's happy to use the lead then it's all good Big Smile
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
@chris ....

I don't understand the problem

Treasure and nurture the passion

And you might be as lucky as the other Chris whose wife wants BL5s in their bedroom !

BeoNut since '75

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael:

I'd go the H8 for the noise cancelling.

I have now been flying with both, and I agree. The noise canceling is a killer future! The H6 wins on comfort, tho. I can wear them for many, many hours without adjusting them. Almost don't notice them.

But bluetooth is the future.

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Tue, Apr 7 2015 12:20 AM
I tried my H8 over the long weekend and there were massive number of drop out. Luckily I tried using another receiver paired to the same Bluetooth transmitter and there was constant drop outs too. The only difference was that the other receiver will manage to get lock back after the drop outs whereas the H8 will lose connection totally after a number of drop outs.

Btw I was at home in my bedroom at night and we only have one wifi network.

From my H8 unit/situation it looks like it's not B&O fault. I'm now looking for a better transmitter for my tv

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Thu, Apr 9 2015 8:00 AM

The new iOS update to 8.3 should improve Bluetooth performance. Looking forward to hearing about any changes in real life performance with the H8 :)

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

danielh
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
danielh replied on Thu, Apr 16 2015 10:17 PM

Bought these, here the other day.

Can`t say that I`m impressed when you consider the price.

Bluetooth is not good. Stuttering occurs even when I`m relatively close to the phone. I have used bluetooth much so I know it`s not supposed to be like this. 

When I walk i will get noise in the headphones when i put the foot down a little to hard. NC is picking up the sound or something.(Normal walking) I have used QC15 for a few years so i know it is possible to  do this better!

The headset is also very top heavy so it falls of the head easy. Not a good thing on something you are wearing when you are travelling. Does anybody have an easy fix for this? Beside gel in my hair Stick out tongue

Positive : I like the sound very much. NC is working good. Used to Bose QC and I don`t complain. Big Smile And it is so nice to get rid of the cable!

Will continue to use it for a few weeks, but I might return it and maybe wait for an updated version.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Interestingly enough, H8 Gray Hazel stock in one Austrian electronic retailer is our of stock - available again starting from week 23 (first week of June).

Maybe that points towards an updated batch? Retailers normally replenish their stock dynamically, and if they sell something out for sure they get more in stock before they are out - unless... :) *hopeful*

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I am waiting for my replacements. They would be a valuable late in April. Hoping it will be an updated version.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

First of all - I do hope your replacement H8 works excellent without dropouts (also: please update us on it).

Actually, I can't wait to buy them but I just can't go through the frustration of returns etc. :(

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Apr 23 2015 9:44 AM

I still have my original H8´s and I think they might be working a little better with iOS 8.3 but it might very well be a result of the better weather this time of the year. I am not sure. I still get drop outs and I get dropouts quite often from my Mac (when Im sitting with it in my lap).

I am supposed to send them to B&O, and I will do that but I don't want to be without them altogether either.

I do have my H6, H3 and EarSet 3i, form 2 etc but they all have cables and once you get used to not having one.. 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Apr 23 2015 1:54 PM

in support of H8's

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

danielh
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
danielh replied on Sun, May 24 2015 11:15 PM

The bluetooth is driving me crazy. Diconnects all the time. Will it be possible to update the firmware or do I need to get a new pair? Are there a new batch with good bluetooth software/hardware?

Page 6 of 17 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS