Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, May 25 2015 7:33 AM
Same here. Sometimes it works flawlessly. Sometimes the dropouts are so many they can't be used wirelessly. Sometimes Bluetooth turns off and the music/video starts playing sound through my mac or iPhone instead.

Sometimes they don't turn on properly, what happens then is that the Bluetooth won't work and the touch wheel won't work. Only the noise cancellation works then. When I turn them off (in this mode) they always make strange noise. Happens quite recently and is very annoying.

I usually connect the h8s with cable to my computer but then the DAC doesn't work so sound is much less strong and less bassy. Not a good work around.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

RenaissanceGirl
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

I was having a similar problem, and I'm not sure if it's come up in the thread so far (it's huge), but I unscrewed the right ear cap (which just twists off), and locked it back into place.  Not only did the quality improve, but the range picked up significantly, adding about a further 5m to the distance I could go before it dropped out.  I also had an occasional squeak {only way I can describe it} and that has disappeared too...  I have absolutely no idea if it's a coincidence, but it's got to be worth trying...

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Fri, May 29 2015 9:08 PM

RenaissanceGirl:

I was having a similar problem, and I'm not sure if it's come up in the thread so far (it's huge), but I unscrewed the right ear cap (which just twists off), and locked it back into place.  Not only did the quality improve, but the range picked up significantly, adding about a further 5m to the distance I could go before it dropped out.  I also had an occasional squeak {only way I can describe it} and that has disappeared too...  I have absolutely no idea if it's a coincidence, but it's got to be worth trying...

Sadly, R-Girl, this did not work for me Sad

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

I can't believe it. 500 EUR headphones with fundamental flaw and B&O does not find it appropriate to address it at least via some statement.

Just disgraceful.

Scuttlebroom
Not Ranked
London
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Well I have been using my H8 now for over 2 months, almost everyday, and I can advise that if I use my Motorola phone with the headphones on bluetooth, I get terrible issues with interuptions and drop outs, (the only way to mitigate it was to turn off WiFi, Location and 4G!) still had issues whenever I wnet through busy stations on the train! It did improve slightly when i was upgraded to Andorid 5.1, but still not perfect.

As the battery on my mobile ran out too quickly using bluetooth, I decided to buy an iPod Nano, and what a difference!  No drop outs, no interuptions, it is a joy!  I also do not get issues with my Laptop using a bluetooth adapter (it also uses wifi to connect to the interent, and no issues there either), and as such I don't think thew blame for the bluetooth issues can simply be put at B&O's door, unless i am simply being lucky!

Now I am free to listen to my music perfectly without anyissues, and my mobile battery lasts! The only pain is not being able to use the H8's for chatting on the phone, as they were great for that, but a small price to pay for flawless music delivery!

Also saw a guy the other day, nudge his wife as I walked down the stairs at the tube station, and point to me and as I had the headphones round my neck I heard him say "Look, those are the headphones I want!" Also love the fact you get left alone by Chuggers and the like, as they presume you can't hear them!

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Tue, Jun 2 2015 8:53 AM
I have tried my H8 using my Apple IPhone 6 Plus and haven't had any drop out so far. Using other third party transmitters I get plenty of drop outs. I haven't tried it with my laptops yet.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
BillC:

I have tried my H8 using my Apple IPhone 6 Plus and haven't had any drop out so far. Using other third party transmitters I get plenty of drop outs. I haven't tried it with my laptops yet.

Works well with my iMac 27. Tried with iPad Air 1 and was better in the distance if I use it standing up in the cover as opposed to lying down.
RenaissanceGirl
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

That's a pity, mine is now working quite well, though I do have the occasional dropout when I "launch" my iPhone (if I'm listening on my MacBook), must send a spike in the bluetooth signal...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Six week waiting list for new orders Surprise

BeoNut since '75

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Thu, Jun 4 2015 9:49 AM

I ordered a pair of H8 (and H2) from my danish dealer the other day. Luckily they were both in stock. I'm not picking them up until next month though (the H2 is a present, so I don't want to give away any clues to what she's getting by bringing home the H8). 

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
elephant:

Six week waiting list for new orders BeoNut since '75

They've been for sale over the counter at the last three airports I visited!

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
@ Chris

Did you buy one ?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Not yet, my hair isn't long enoughSad

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Chris Townsend:

They've been for sale over the counter at the last three airports I visited! Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Beovision 8-32, Avant RF 28, Beolab 8000, Beolit 12, Beoplay A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H6, Form 2.

I'll try my (h)airport tomorrow

BeoNut since '75

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Fri, Jun 5 2015 10:43 AM
Chris Townsend:

Not yet, my hair isn't long enough.

Big Smile LOL Yes - thumbs up
Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Fri, Jun 5 2015 5:50 PM

Someone on one of the H8 posts reported that drop outs were cured by using Sennheiser BTD 500 USB.  THIS. IS. TRUE.  I bought one and it works well with my MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011).  Changing the Bluetooth/Airport card was useless--even according to Sennheiser (who, BTW, also manufactures BT headsets) who will recommend getting this small dongle for folks who would like to listen to music from their laptops using their own headsets.  Further, the BT in the MacBooks were not meant for the kind of data exchange for fine headphones, but, rather, for keyboards, mice and other peripherals.  

Having a sound drop issue using BT?  Get one of these dongles and put yourself out of misery.  Range works like it should and the only down side is that none of the "geniuses" at Apple, nor the folks at Bang-Olufsen, will tell you about this easy, $50 fix.  Shameful.  

Pair the dongle with the H8s AFTER you remove the H8s from your MacBook, then turn off the laptop's Bluetooth until the pairing between the H8s and Sennheiser dongle is complete.  Really easy.

All is well once again. 

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jun 5 2015 6:26 PM

I have a 2010 MacBook and now the new Retina MacBook and i've never experienced any sound drop out over the last three years using my Beats Studio Bluetooth headphones and a Logitech bluetooth adaptor to my hifi amp. It's definitely not an Apple problem!

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Fri, Jun 5 2015 6:37 PM

Paul W:

I have a 2010 MacBook and now the new Retina MacBook and i've never experienced any sound drop out over the last three years using my Beats Studio Bluetooth headphones and a Logitech bluetooth adaptor to my hifi amp. It's definitely not an Apple problem!

That's great, Paul.  But, then again, Beats are not Bang-Olufsen H8s.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Did anyone had the opportunity to try H8 with AppleWatch?

Just curious about bluetooth performance and (possible) droputs.

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
AnalogPlanet:

I did and they worked very well together!
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
AnalogPlanet:

I did - twice - in store.

Seemed fine.

BeoNut since '75

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jun 7 2015 8:56 PM

The fact that people have success pairing/using the H8´s with WATCH doesn't mean the H8´s are working as they should. 

The drop out issues are dependent on the current environment. Factors such as radio interference, and distance for example are matters that play a big role. I have even noticed that drop outs occur more often in windy environments than in the same environment when there is no wind there.

madsskov
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
madsskov replied on Mon, Jun 15 2015 11:01 PM

Ramasjang:
Does the Beoplay H8 support aptX low latency?

Yes they do.

Confirmed working with this transmitter:

http://www.avantree.com/product-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-saturn-pro-990.html

2ndRKO
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
2ndRKO replied on Wed, Jun 17 2015 10:12 PM

I also had Dropouts with my Retina Macbook Pro. After some Testing I found out that its not a Problem with the Headphone or the Bluetooth Chip on the Macbook. Its  maybe a Osx Problem (Yosemite in my Case). Maybe the Osx Bluetooth Driver is the Problem. What I did was I installed Windows 8.1 with Bootcamp(Latest Bootcamp Drivers), paired the Headphones and played some Music with the WMP. Result was Cristal clear Sound and no Dropouts. So apparently Apple has to do the Fix here.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jun 17 2015 10:31 PM
Unfortunately this is not the solution. Drop outs happen with different computers, different phones (not only iPhones) and sometimes it all works great. For example I have no problems for long periods and sometimes it will come back, especially in places with a lot of things that can disturb the signal.

I'd say the problem is indeed with the antenna in the H8's, the buffer memory or something else. Perhaps even a combination of the things. Remember antennagate?

The drivers for windows may or may not be better but I seriously doubt it will help with the drop outs where I want to use my noise canceling h8s (namely crowded areasBig Smile). Neither would I want windows as a main system on my Mac!

2ndRKO:

I also had Dropouts with my Retina Macbook Pro. After some Testing I found out that its not a Problem with the Headphone or the Bluetooth Chip on the Macbook. Its maybe a Osx Problem (Yosemite in my Case). Maybe the Osx Bluetooth Driver is the Problem. What I did was I installed Windows 8.1 with Bootcamp(Latest Bootcamp Drivers), paired the Headphones and played some Music with the WMP. Result was Cristal clear Sound and no Dropouts. So apparently Apple has to do the Fix here.

2ndRKO
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
2ndRKO replied on Wed, Jun 17 2015 11:07 PM

Never said that this is the Solution. I did this to isolate the Problem. Who wants Windows as their main System on a Mac? ;)

Im using the H8s for 3 weeks now and never had Dropouts on IOS based Hardware only on Macs. Did you try another Pair of H8s?

What i will do next is to try the pubic El Capitan Beta. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jun 17 2015 11:14 PM
Nope, haven't replaced them and lots of people are having the issue. I suppose the issue could be related to "one"'worker doing something wrong with the antenna or so. But I doubt it.

I run 10.11 (I'm a developer) and I can try it a bit. My issue on the Mac is mainly while playing videos. Music are not a bit issue.

I've had the H8 since they came out. Don't remember now but quite long.

Also notices that mine doesn't turn on properly sometimes. (You notice because the touch features won't work and no Bluetooth and while powering of it makes a strange sound).

2ndRKO:

Never said that this is the Solution. I did this to isolate the Problem. Who wants Windows as their main System on a Mac? ;)

Im using the H8s for 3 weeks now and never had Dropouts on IOS based Hardware only on Macs. Did you try another Pair of H8s? What i will do next is to try the pubic El Capitan Beta.

sup
Not Ranked
Poland
Posts 1
Bronze Member
sup replied on Thu, Jun 25 2015 7:00 AM

I've debugged those cans and BT radio is one to blame. I've did my measurements and RSSI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_signal_strength_indication) unveils it. I can upload my measurements and instruct sb if one wants to test them on their own.

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Thu, Aug 6 2015 7:20 PM

I'm about to get me some new headphones as my Form 1 are once again falling apart. I like H8, but worried with this talk about drop outs. Do they still suffer from this? I got an email today from B&O (an advirtesment mail, not a personally mail) announcing H8 is back in stock. Does this mean they fixed the problems with the drop outs?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
My early June H8s do drop out.

However I still love them.

I now use them both wired and unwired.

I have not worked out why sometimes they drop out and sometimes with seemingly similar activities they are rock steady.

Still their noise reduction (on ear isolation), noise cancelling, and bass make them a great buy - for me.

BeoNut since '75

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Thu, Aug 6 2015 8:35 PM

elephant:

I have not worked out why sometimes they drop out and sometimes with seemingly similar activities they are rock steady.

Still their noise reduction (on ear isolation), noise cancelling, and bass make them a great buy - for me.

Thank you for your answer!

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
elephant:

Still their noise reduction (on ear isolation), noise cancelling, and bass make them a great buy - for me. BeoNut since '75

I also use them wired and wireless. Mainly wired as I think it preserves the battery.

They paid for themselves on my trip to Hong Kong and Japan with the noise cancelling on the plane.

What colour did you get?

Konichiwa from Hiroshima
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 10 2015 11:01 AM
Aussie Michael:

They paid for themselves on my trip to Hong Kong and Japan with the noise cancelling on the plane.

What colour did you get?

Ditto for the 14 non-stop hours from LAX to MEL ...

If they'd had them in Love Collection livery I would have gone for that ...

Instead a chose a "match" to the H6 ... with idea that in coupled mode we'd look great together Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Agila Bright is very Tokyo zen decor going from my experience on this holiday ;-)
MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Thu, Aug 13 2015 7:50 PM
Hello all,

I was thinking about buying some H8s and so have read the threads and heard all about the dropouts some are having. Understandably I was a little apprehensive about parting with £400 with the issue still looming.

With that in mind I went into the dealer today to physically try a pair with my iPhone 6 and I thought I'd share my experience.

Pairing the headphones was a doddle and with the phone on the table the H8 sounded great! However, I had a dropout as soon as I put the phone in my jeans pocket and then repeatedly if I put my hand on or near my phone. When I took the headphones off to show the dealer they played fine so can only summise that when you have the headphones on your head it reduces the signal to the phone enough for a hand to cause the dropouts.

Sadly, as I really want a pair of wireless B&O headphones (that work without me having to hold my phone in my hand), it's made me decide to wait until the next generation to see if the situation is any better.

As I said some folks seem to be having no issues at all so would just advise people to test them out first!
BeoPer
Not Ranked
Stockholm
Posts 12
Bronze Member
BeoPer replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 5:35 PM

Just picked up my new pair and it seems like I cannot charge them. Wherever I try I just gets a rapidly flashing red lamp. Left them over night same result. B&O support told me to return them to shop. Anyone had the same issue?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 5:43 PM
Perhaps try remove the battery for a few minutes and then connect it again. And then the cable to charge. Do you use a charger with high enough capacity? Try another charger otherwise.

BeoPer
Not Ranked
Stockholm
Posts 12
Bronze Member
BeoPer replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 7:07 PM

Thanks, but no different. Tried several iPad/iPhone chargers + three computers. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 7:13 PM
Strange thing but then they probably are defective in some way. But you'll be happy when you get a working pair :).

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 7:29 AM

peryngfalk:

Just picked up my new pair and it seems like I cannot charge them. Wherever I try I just gets a rapidly flashing red lamp. Left them over night same result. B&O support told me to return them to shop. Anyone had the same issue?

I had a very similar problem. 

The first time I charged them everything was working as it should. After the first charge was used up, and I tried to charge them up again the problems started. 

I had the same red flashing as you describe. But I also had a sequence where it flashed orange as it should for about 3-5 flashes, but was interrupted by 3 red flashes. That sequence just repeated itself.

I tried different chargers. IPhone, iPad, 3. party, my car. As far as I could tell it acted differently based on the power output. I never got it to work though.

All of this happened during a holiday abroad, so I couldn't really do anything about it. When I came home I tried plugging it in again, and apparently it started charging as intended. But I didn't was a faulty device, so I got a replacement by my local dealer. 

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

Page 7 of 17 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS