Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
On our four-hour flight to Spain, I had to reconnect to the H8's five times, and my girlfriend had to reconnect to the H8's three times. The Bluetooth-connection simply disappears, and the H8's has to be manually chosen within Bluetooth setting in our iPhones.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Aug 21 2015 5:42 PM

leosgonewild:
On our four-hour flight to Spain, I had to reconnect to the H8's five times, and my girlfriend had to reconnect to the H8's three times. The Bluetooth-connection simply disappears, and the H8's has to be manually chosen within Bluetooth setting in our iPhones.

Happens daily for me. I'm replacing mine when I have time (which I rarely do).

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Just feels so wrong coming in with three units to complain about (2xH8+1 A2) Surprise

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Aug 23 2015 7:52 AM
Michael:

Usually only happens at the start of a session so I am learning to live with it.

Using H8s wired in to the airline's system was 14 hours of uninterrupted bliss for me.

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

elephant:
Michael:

Usually only happens at the start of a session so I am learning to live with it.

Using H8s wired in to the airline's system was 14 hours of uninterrupted bliss for me.

Me too - and they were terrific on the flight to Haneda Tokyo via HK.

AND, amazing on the ride on mower too.  Lady GaGa (and me in backing vocals) never sounded so good. :-)  

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Aussie Michael:

[Lady GaGa (and me in backing vocals) never sounded so good. :-)  

Maybe this is where noice cancelling may show, what it can do  ;-)))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

PK
Not Ranked
Posts 82
Bronze Member
PK replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 5:24 PM

An interesting review of the H8:

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/blog/bo-beoplay-h8

Really nice pictures :)

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 5:52 PM
Personally I would be keen to see a bit more colour choice. The H6s for example come in a good variety of colours now.
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 5:55 PM

Must admit, I love the two colours. Once they've sorted out the Bluetooth problem, I think that I'd like a pair of these. As long as they have enough bass and treble and sound exciting. From what i've read, these will appeal more to me than the rather flat H6 which I couldn't live with.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 6:19 PM
The sound is excellent
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 8:29 PM

Cool thanks Duels :) They are very expensive, so i'm hoping amazing things from them :)

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 8:37 PM
I wonder whether B&O are actually intending to try and improve the Bluetooth capabilities.
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:03 PM

Being honest, I'd rather they brought out a non bluetooth version of the H8. Having a single lead isn't a problem whilst sat on a plane or travelling for me and that's were i'd use them.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:07 PM
The H8 does come with a lead. It doesn't need to use Bluetooth. In fact the sound quality is slightly but noticeably improved if you don't use Bluetooth.
Martin
Not Ranked
Sweden, Skövde
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:38 PM

From what I understand using beoplay h8 wired it is no longer noice cancelling.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:40 PM
Martin:

Ah. That would be significant.
Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:45 PM

Martin:

In the review linked above battery time for noise cancelling wired (35 h) and nonwired (16 h) wire is stated.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:47 PM

That doesn't sound right? I'm sure that it will work with the lead.

Martin
Not Ranked
Sweden, Skövde
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:48 PM

Duels:
Martin:

Ah. That would be significant.

Nope, I was wrong they are noice cancelling on wired but it was that it can not be turned off, the controls don't work in wired mode. Sorry for the missinformation. 

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 9:53 PM

Daniel:

Martin:

In the review linked above battery time for noise cancelling wired (35 h) and non wired (16 h) wire is stated.

I can't edit my post so I fix my typo this way instead. What on earth is a "non wired wire"? Embarrassed

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 11:33 PM

Martin:

Nope, I was wrong they are noice cancelling on wired but it was that it can not be turned off, the controls don't work in wired mode. Sorry for the missinformation. 

Nope, still wrong.  Noise cancelling can be turned on/off when in wired mode.  You use the bluetooth switch.  It is true that the other controls are not available in wired mode, but one must agree that it would be pretty hard to have a headphone tell an arbitrary audio device to how to behave via a two channel audio AUX cable.

Stan

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

I've just spotted on Beoplay Support page for H8 there is a link to Software Updater, same like we've got recently for A2/Beolit 15.

Clicking on it brings you to A2/Beolit 15 download page with nothing specific yet related to H8 - but I suspect this is just temporary landing.

Could it be we might see soon a software update for H8 to fix BT drop issues?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
AnalogPlanet:

I've just spotted on Beoplay Support page for H8 there is a link to Software Updater, same like we've got recently for A2/Beolit 15.

Clicking on it brings you to A2/Beolit 15 download page with nothing specific yet related to H8 - but I suspect this is just temporary landing.

Could it be we might see soon a software update for H8 to fix BT drop issues?

So did I and I took the precaution of immediately downloading it

I also downloaded the PDF guide for the H8 and so was able to resolve the wired ANC question in the office Devil

BeoNut since '75

AraiRx7GP
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip, seems somewhat extreme though !  But interesting point as I use my MacBook Pro with BT and Plantronics for Cisco Jabber Video and Telephone, this normally works well both in the office and at home but does suffer from other BT device interference occassionally - ie; Mouse / Touch Pad and other BT telephony devices in range.  Will try the dongle see if that improves life as I can't stand having cables everywhere !

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:33 PM

Got my H8s after the questionnaire promotion with 20% off.  Very happy with them generally - noise cancelling on flights was superb.  BT seems stable when I'm stationary but drop outs when walking around. After some experimentation it seems that drop outs are very much more common when my i-pod is in my pocket rather than in my hand. Distance between i-pod and H8s does not appear significant but contact with clothing or my body seems to be?

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:33 PM

Got my H8s after the questionnaire promotion with 20% off.  Very happy with them generally - noise cancelling on flights was superb.  BT seems stable when I'm stationary but drop outs when walking around. After some experimentation it seems that drop outs are very much more common when my i-pod is in my pocket rather than in my hand. Distance between i-pod and H8s does not appear significant but contact with clothing or my body seems to be?

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Sep 11 2015 10:22 PM

Further walks with the iPod and the H8s suggest that the issue is proximity of the iPod to my thigh. If it is in the pocket alone then drop-outs are frequent, if I put my phone in the pocket between the iPod and my thigh then there are no issues at all.  Reading around suggests that water in body tissues has a significant attenuating effect on Bluetooth and that seems to be what is happening here.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Sep 11 2015 10:42 PM
The following review is on the John Lewis website. Apparently no good when hoovering or walking in high heels.
The many comparisons to other makes makes me think that this may not be a genuine review but a spoiler.
Graham
2 / 5
Overpriced and badly designed
01 September 2015
I've had two pairs of these heaphones that have had to go back to John Lewis because they had a fault (or as I now suspect, a design flaw) whereby excruciating high pitched feedback occurs when the noise-cancelling is engaged and has to do any serious work, for example whilst hoovering. In addition to this, despite having very soft earcups made of luxury leather, they are very uncomfortable to wear. Furthermore, when you walk wearing them, the thud from your heel transmits very loudly into your ear, enough to be a serious irritation unless you are willing to walk in time to the beat of your music. The noise-cancelling is quite good though (not as good as Bose, but with almost no hiss), and they isolate well without the noise-cancelling even activated (this is related to the pain issue however, since it is due to the cups pressing very hard against your ears) and the touch controls are great, but they don't work if you use a cable (the one included doesn't even have a remote/mic), which is a crazy waste of a great feature. The sound quality is only quite good for the price, better than Bose, but not as good as Sennheiser Momentum 2 from my experience. This is essentailly a Beats-style headphone in overdesigned clothing. I've given the headphones two stars because, for the price, and from a company priding itself SO much on design, it really is a disappointing product that hasn't been properly tested after it left the design board. John Lewis on the other hand get 5 stars, they have been fantastic.
Was this review useful?Yes3No0
danielh
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
danielh replied on Sat, Sep 12 2015 10:27 PM

This is many of the same problems i reported earlier. You don't need to wear high heels to have the problem. I have tried to contact B&O to ask if there is a new model with improved bluetooth also. But just get the standard answer that i have to return my set to the dealer to take a look at it. 

danielh:

Bought these, here the other day.

Can`t say that I`m impressed when you consider the price.

Bluetooth is not good. Stuttering occurs even when I`m relatively close to the phone. I have used bluetooth much so I know it`s not supposed to be like this. 

When I walk i will get noise in the headphones when i put the foot down a little to hard. NC is picking up the sound or something.(Normal walking) I have used QC15 for a few years so i know it is possible to  do this better!

The headset is also very top heavy so it falls of the head easy. Not a good thing on something you are wearing when you are travelling. Does anybody have an easy fix for this? Beside gel in my hair Stick out tongue

Positive : I like the sound very much. NC is working good. Used to Bose QC and I don`t complain. Big Smile And it is so nice to get rid of the cable!

Will continue to use it for a few weeks, but I might return it and maybe wait for an updated version.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 13 2015 12:20 AM

This thread is fascinating. Definitely would like the H8s but this Bluetooth problem is such a serious issue. To me, £400 is a H-U-G-E amount of money to pay for headphones that are made in China. For this price, I really want them to work beautifully and last many many years.

B&O should be the LEICA of headphones, so they really need to get their act together and improve their quality control. Their flaws are not doing them any favours. 

Roy
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Roy replied on Sun, Sep 13 2015 10:28 AM

Bought the H8 this week (again). Owned 2 H8's already in the past year but returned them because the bluetooth dropt out continuously. It was quit annoying. I decided to give it a go again with the 20% off on Beoplay.com. 

But sadly, again bluetooth dropouts happen. I honestly can't believe people are saying that they are not having issues with the bluetooth. Or am i just having bad luck? 

Thinking of returning them now, emailed Beoplay already as advised by the dealer. 

Roy.

BeoVision Horizon ● BeoLab 14 Subwoofer ● B&O Play A9 ● Beolit 15 ● B&O Play H8 ● B&O Play H5

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sun, Sep 13 2015 11:38 AM

Paul W:

This thread is fascinating. Definitely would like the H8s but this Bluetooth problem is such a serious issue. To me, £400 is a H-U-G-E amount of money to pay for headphones that are made in China. For this price, I really want them to work beautifully and last many many years.

B&O should be the LEICA of headphones, so they really need to get their act together and improve their quality control. Their flaws are not doing them any favours. 

No, Paul, it's not doing them any favors but they don't seem to care. Most boutiques are franchises/independently owned and they won't budge, except to tell you that they'll take them back and issue you a refund.  Some are much more cooperative, but not the one local to me. 

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Thibault replied on Mon, Sep 14 2015 7:06 AM

I also went through two sets and I still experience tons of dropouts as soon as there is movement involved. Walking outside with my phone in my pocket for instance is not possible. Completely unacceptable. I have been emailing with customer service and someone there told me that they were aware of the issue and working on a fix. Hopefully a software update is coming. 

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Mon, Sep 14 2015 1:35 PM
Agree Thibault

Unacceptable for a product costing € 500.- it's been months that nothing is done. No - thumbs downWhistle

Bang & Olufsen will gradually on the decline and loss before a likely acquisition by a big electronics brand. Unsure

Who know maybe it is the wish of the CEO and his team to sale the brand ?

After selling the healthy B&O automotive brand to Harman Kardon ...
Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Thibault replied on Mon, Sep 14 2015 3:42 PM

All H8 owners who have BT issues should write to B&O Customer Service so they understand that something is really wrong. As someone was saying earlier in the thread, B&O stores (at least in the U.S.) are franchise stores and it seems to me that the communication between the stores and B&O is not that great – also I know for a fact that communication between stores here in NYC is inexistant (that's according to a store manager on Madison Ave.). Anyway, if you add to that communication problem the low volume of sales (this is a pretty high end product so I am assuming they're not selling millions of them), it could take a long time before B&O acknowledges that something is wrong with these headphones and comes up with a solution. So really, if you have this BT issues, complain directly to B&O and not to your store.

danielh
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
danielh replied on Tue, Sep 15 2015 10:33 AM

I finally got an answer from B&O a few days ago. And they say that they have a problem. I don`t want to exchange my headset before the problem is solved. So I just have to wait.

Answer from B&O :

This is a known issue with some of our BeoPlay H8. If you have not found a solution yet, I would like you to know that we are aware of this problem, and are currently working on a solution. I can not promise you when or if a possible solution will be available, neither can I promise you if it will be a software or hardware update. For now you are welcome to wait for an update to the BeoPlay H8, or you can turn your BeoPlay H8 in for a replacement. We have seen several instances where this have solved the Bluetooth problem, but again I can not promise you it will solve the problem

padunand
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
padunand replied on Tue, Sep 15 2015 2:15 PM

Hello,

I've got more or less the same answer about two weeks ago... I will also wait to for an hypothetical firmware update..

Roy
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Roy replied on Tue, Sep 15 2015 2:48 PM

I have no idea what to do. I got them a week ago. Been mailing with the customer service now, and I basically have 3 options:

- Return them, get a replacement, and hope and prey that this one will work. 
- Return them, get my money back and wait until an update will come and then buy them again. 
- Wait, use them, when the tech departement is ready with an update to the H8 I can still return them and get them replaced.
I love the sound, I really do, I love the noise cancellation, I love the design. But I just can't get my head around it, that bluetooth is still not being able to deliver.. 
What is you guys your advise on what I can do best in this case? 
Kind regards,
Roy

BeoVision Horizon ● BeoLab 14 Subwoofer ● B&O Play A9 ● Beolit 15 ● B&O Play H8 ● B&O Play H5

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Thibault replied on Tue, Sep 15 2015 3:11 PM

I've gone through a replacement and it did not help so I would advise against option 1. The thing is we are not 100% sure this issue is going to get fixed so I would return them, get my money back and watch this thread.

Page 8 of 17 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS