Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Dec 30 2015 1:46 AM

Thanks for the update Lycanthrope.

Out of interest can you tell me how long the process took - from when your original pair were collected until the replacement pair were delivered?

I finally got around to arranging for mine to be returned and they were collected by UPS this morning, so it would be good to have some idea when to expect the replacements.

Cheers,

Martin.

Lycanthrope
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

k3wt:

Hi there

Well that's good news. Mine have been great, touch wood...

I do get a split second dropout here and there when I'm walking with the phone in my jeans pocket. If this doesn't happen anymore to you I will go through the returns process. 

May I ask what your serial number is on your old and new pair? I bought mine just before Christmas and they are numbered 25000250. 

Thanks

Ki k3wt

Old/New serial - 24939568 / 25470432

I have yet to try them with tighter jeans and walking - this is something I typically do in lunchtime at work, but I'm on Xmas vacation right now and wearing baggy combat trousers all the time. Will reports back on this next week.

Best, Dave

Lycanthrope
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

riverstyx:

Thanks for the update Lycanthrope.

Out of interest can you tell me how long the process took - from when your original pair were collected until the replacement pair were delivered?

I finally got around to arranging for mine to be returned and they were collected by UPS this morning, so it would be good to have some idea when to expect the replacements.

Cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

UPS Collected 16/12

Arrived B&O repair shop 18/12

Approved for replacement 23/12

New pair arrived 29/12

Note that I had no indication that a new pair were being sent, they just showed-up yesterday. Considering that it's the holiday period it's pretty quick.

The guy at BeoCare - Kasper - was very friendly and helpful.

Cheers, Dave

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Dec 30 2015 2:48 PM

Lycanthrope:

UPS Collected 16/12

Arrived B&O repair shop 18/12

Approved for replacement 23/12

New pair arrived 29/12

Note that I had no indication that a new pair were being sent, they just showed-up yesterday. Considering that it's the holiday period it's pretty quick.

Thanks for the info Dave. It looks like turnaround at B&O was less than a week then, plus a couple of (working) days each way for UPS. That's quicker than I was expecting.

Lycanthrope:
The guy at BeoCare - Kasper - was very friendly and helpful.

Yeah, the team at Beocare are excellent - I've always been very impressed with the service whenever I've contacted them.

Martin.

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Thibault replied on Wed, Dec 30 2015 3:26 PM

Thank you so much for your feedback Dave. As most of you have read on this thread, my second pair of H8 (I had the first one replaced one week after I bought them) has been a disaster and is even worse since the update (serial # is 24996522, kind of close to Dave's).

I will send them in and keep you guys posted.

Happy Holidays to you all and thanks for your support!

Lycanthrope
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Hi Folks

OK, I have spent some time now testing while walking with the phone in front-left jeans pocket, relatively tight. There is still the occasional blip in the signal, but not excessively so - certainly within the boundaries of what you could experience from other BT headphones. So where as I would have expected better from the H8's, it's nowhere near what I would term unacceptable. To quantify is difficult, but on a 25 minute walk I can recall the signal cutting or skipping slightly, missing a small section of music, between 10-20 times, but each event lasting a split second.

To put into context, with the previous pair, it was impossible to have the phone in this pocket, the headphones basically didn't work. So a massive, massive difference.

I also note that the noise when walking with the ANC on, the high-pitched crackle, is far diminished from the previous set.

What I didn't do was to attempt any firmware upgrade and I've no idea what version these are on - for the moment I prefer not to interfere; if it isn't broken...

Cheers, Dave

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Wed, Jan 6 2016 10:39 PM

I have updated my headphones and am now using an up to date iOS on a iPhone 6S Plus.

During and after festive travels of being at the airport, on the plane/coach/tube and walking around in Central London, everything seems great! During the whole weekend I think i had one or two split second drop outs!

At all times the phone had mostly been in tightly squeezed in my front left jeans pocket :)

I am indeed a happy chappie, the noise cancelling is truly amazing!

I wish you all the best of luck Smile

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I use mine with a 6s. They drop the connection and start playing from the phone instead. When I check in BT settings, it says they are connected.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

leosgonewild: since the update, the same thing happens to me but only when I have other bluetooth devices paired with my H8 around. If I disable bluetooth on all devices but one, the H8 is going to pair with the remaining device with bluetooth and won't disconnect. Not very convenient but that's the only I found to fix this.

Cardinalsong
Not Ranked
Melbourne, Au
Posts 24
Bronze Member

I'm also seeing this behavior. Which is awful, as I use an Apple Watch, so my H8s are constantly deciding to ditch the connection 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Fri, Jan 8 2016 11:52 PM

riverstyx:
I finally got around to arranging for mine to be returned and they were collected by UPS this morning

My replacement pair arrived today, so that was 6 working days from collection to delivery of the replacements (and so roughly similar to Lycanthrope's experience). I was a bit confused initially when the FS told me there was a card from UPS as I couldn't think of anything I was expecting but I soon figured it out.

Anyway, I've been out for a little walk this evening to try them out. Much much better. I experienced a few *very* minor glitches - we're talking sub 100ms dropouts, and these were experienced once when I would turned my head quickly to one side, and several times when I was actually in the process of removing my phone from one pocket and placing it in another (the bluetooth signal would have been attenuated on one side by my body, and the other side by my hand during this process).

Contrast that to the situation I had with the previous pair, which were unusable if placed in any pocket, and you'll understand why overall, I am so much happier with the new pair Big Smile

I haven't checked which firmware version they are running or attempted to update them yet.

Martin.

Lycanthrope
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Hi Martin

Yep, seems in all respects to be the same experience and end-result as myself! I can inly urge others with the issue to contact BeoCare.

Regarding firmware update, if you see the battery indicator on your phone, then it's already the latest version.

Cheers, Dave

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Lycanthrope:
Regarding firmware update, if you see the battery indicator on your phone, then it's already the latest version.

Unfortunately the bluetooth battery meter is an apple only feature and my phone is Android.

To be honest, I didn't see any problems with the original firmware on my old pair, or notice any changes when I upgraded the firmware on them, so given the issues others are having with the new firmware disconnecting when there are multiple paired devices around, I will probably leave them be for the moment.

Martin.

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:04 PM

It's anybody using a hard case for their headphones? If so, which one?

Thanks 

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:04 PM

Is anybody using a hard case for their headphones? If so, which one?

Thanks 

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Lycanthrope:
To quantify is difficult, but on a 25 minute walk I can recall the signal cutting or skipping slightly, missing a small section of music, between 10-20 times, but each event lasting a split second.

Tried mine yesterday, 35 mins walk to grocery store and back with 11 dropouts. That's once per song let's say. Smile

No, I won't say this is unacceptable taking into the account it is bluetooth afterall and sometimes my Apple Trackpad loses BT connection with Mac Mini sitting at the same desk. Still, not 100% happy because I find myself more waiting and anticipating next skip than listening to the playlist. This might change once I get used to it.

Yesterday's walk was with the iPhone6 in the right pocket of my sweatpants, iPhone in original silicone cover. Today I'll try putting the phone in the right pocket of the jacket (closer to headphones, even if still in pocket) and see if it changes anything. H8's FW is updated to the last version. I'll share my findouts.

Lycanthrope
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

And I've just been out for a 1 hour walk with my baggy air-force trousers and didn't experience a single cut-out Smile

benherron
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
benherron replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 2:11 PM

I got a GoCase (F2?) for mine, H8s fit nicely and the charging/audio cable fit in the little pouch inside the D loop.
It's a tad expensive but has a good level of quality. Couldnt justify the Hard Graft leather pouch, however nice it is.

http://www.gocase.com/products/f2-case-for-fold-flat-headphones

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Unfortunately my second testing went very bad - even if I was actually walking down the same route as first time. Putting my iPhone in the left pocket not only caused dropouts, but actually completely broke the BT connection between H8 and the phone so they needed to reconnect. Dropouts also very frequent in other pockets, so the headphones aree effectively unusable.

It is clear that Beoplay H8 is a faulty product and only a handful of random lucky people got a properly working product, rest of us need to deal with annoying replacements (for possibly another faulty ones) or cash refund for those luckier.

I will definitely try to get my money back as it is an unfinished product with serious functionality issues. In normal circumstances, B&O should have been sued for not recalling such product.

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 7:14 PM
I bought a pair of these nearly 2 years ago.

http://www.phiaton.com/product/bluetooth-3-noise-cancelling-earphones-mic/

I wear them when I walk the mile or so to work every day. I use them while traveling by plane or train. I wear them in the gym and when running on the woods. I even wear them occasionally at home.

They are paired with an iPhone 5s.

I cannot think of one occasion where I had dropouts so serious that they interfered with the music.

A workmate has a pair of Bose headphones and it is a similar story, no problems.

I do not understand why B&O can't get their act together.

Tim

ari
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Bronze Member
ari replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 7:23 PM

A shame really. I wanted to buy a pair of these now but will look elsewhere. 

I assume the story is the same with the H7's?

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Mon, Feb 1 2016 4:32 PM

This just in from Struer:

Bluetooth reception improvements have been implemented in production from serial number:
Gray Hazel: serial number 2524849 (w1542), and
Argilla Bright: serial number 25120775 (w1543).
BeoPlay H8 Black and Natural are per definition OK from start with improved Bluetooth reception.
Anyone that can confirm this? For the rest of us, knowing that the receiver is in the right H8 cup should help a little (put the phone in the front right pocket, not the left one) - but it would be even better if they have actually solved the issue all together from these S/N´s.
Roger

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

Wow thanks Roger. This is incredibly helpful. I've had significant bluetooth issues with my 1st pair of H8 (2495XXXX) and with the replacement I got from B&O (serial number 2499XXXX). I guess it's time for a 2nd replacement.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

My Gray Hazel pair was SN 25124272 and I had to return them for a refund (constant dropouts). So it fits into this story.

Hope this info is accurate btw, for other people shopping in retail. Not only I was disappointed, but it is also a hassle to organize a return and refund if you live elsewhere.

Mathias_MM
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

I just got a pair after christmas, S/N 2524XXX, so that's pretty close, on the wrong side. They do cut out when used in a jeans pocket, and sometimes even the inner (chest) pocket of a winter jacket if i turn my head to the right.

It's funny though, because if i put my phone (iPhone 6) on the kitchen counter, I can walk a fair distance away from it before I get problems, so it seems it's mostly to do with attenuation from the body.

I'm a little bummed if it turns out I was this close to get a pair with a fix. Especially as I'm pretty happy otherwise...

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Feb 2 2016 12:28 PM

Roger:
BeoPlay H8 Black and Natural are per definition OK from start with improved Bluetooth reception.

NEW COLOURS! I hope I can replace my bad gray hazel (S/N 245014XX) with a new pair in black or natural. Dont know which ones would fit me best. Black I think. Then I would know for sure they are improved since they all have the new antenna design. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:02 PM

Michael:

Roger:

NEW COLOURS! I hope I can replace my bad gray hazel (S/N 245014XX) with a new pair in black or natural. Dont know which ones would fit me best. Black I think. Then I would know for sure they are improved since they all have the new antenna design. 

I think it might be the H7 that is being referred to here and not new colours for the H8.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:06 PM

Duels:
I think it might be the H7 that is being referred to here and not new colours for the H8.

I disagree, it sounds like the new color options are made after the improved antenna design. And it is a natural choice to add the black and natural to H8 as well.  

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Feb 2 2016 3:42 PM

Michael:

Duels:

I disagree, it sounds like the new color options are made after the improved antenna design. And it is a natural choice to add the black and natural to H8 as well.  

It would be great news if you are right and I hope you are.  I would buy black for definite.  I cant find any sign of additional colours on the Play website though.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

I agree it is about H7. Even this H7 "Natural" color scheme is far too close to H8 "Argilla Bright" to make sense as an additional look (minimum difference).

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Wed, Feb 3 2016 10:53 AM

The colors are for the H8 (as well as H7 and BeoLit 15). Again, I posted more than I should have - these new colors will not be announced until approx. Feb 18th.

Roger

Mathias_MM
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Roger:

The colors are for the H8 (as well as H7 and BeoLit 15). Again, I posted more than I should have - these new colors will not be announced until approx. Feb 18th.

Roger

Do you know if there will be any acceptance of reception issues as a fault in the product, either internally or even publicly?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Feb 3 2016 12:51 PM

Roger:

Roger

Then I will be ordering a black pair as soon as they are available!  A black beolit 15 sounds pretty damn sexy.

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Feb 3 2016 10:04 PM

My Grey Hazel pair suffer frequent dropouts and have an intermittent high pitched whine. The S/N is lower than that reported as having the revised antenna. I have just contacted Beoplay seeking a replacement. Hopefully they will respond soon.

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2016 10:25 AM

I'm on my second pair of H8s after my dealer exchanged my original pair in the autumn of last year. Sadly, they're just on the wrong side of the serial number divide, and they still suffer from drop-outs. How likely is it that I'll be able to return them for the revised model?

Has anyone already contacted Beoplay customer support about this? 

Lycanthrope
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

If they're still under warranty and are clearly faulty then I'm sure B&O will replace

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2016 10:40 AM

Thing is, I got my first pair in February last year when they were first released, so they'll be out of warranty within the next couple of weeks.

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2016 10:41 AM

Thing is, I got my first pair in February last year when they were first released, so they'll be out of warranty within the next couple of weeks.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 4 2016 10:49 AM

jonnyb:

"If your product has a fault and it is within the 2 years warranty – 3 years if you have registered for extra warranty on beoplay.com – you can have it repaired or exchanged. " http://www.beoplay.com/support/return-and-repair-us

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 4 2016 11:44 AM

Ah, I'd forgotten about B&O's longer warranty. Thanks, Michael!

Page 11 of 17 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS