Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 1:17 PM

I've noticed that the noise cancelling on my newer black H8s is very weird compared to my previous pair. It makes a very high pitched noise and if I push slightly on the headphones it makes a very sharp and loud high frequency noise. It might be a new design but my old pair didn't sound like that. It seems to remove very much bass and introduces this strange noise. 

By the way, regarding the USB-cable: My old pair came with a very long cable that was very matte (using a material known to get sticky by time) and the new ones came with a very short and handy cable that I think is made of a higher quality material. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 1:27 PM

Actually my current pair of older H8 ones make that high pitched sound too

Mathias_MM
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Michael:

I've noticed that the noise cancelling on my newer black H8s is very weird compared to my previous pair. It makes a very high pitched noise and if I push slightly on the headphones it makes a very sharp and loud high frequency noise. It might be a new design but my old pair didn't sound like that. It seems to remove very much bass and introduces this strange noise. 

By the way, regarding the USB-cable: My old pair came with a very long cable that was very matte (using a material known to get sticky by time) and the new ones came with a very short and handy cable that I think is made of a higher quality material. 

Have you tried to take the ear cushions off and put them back on?
I've seen some people report that this can help with ANC issues. 

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 2:21 PM

It happens sometimes when I either adjust the headband or press down on the headband piece. It must be some interference with the antenna. Thought that they would fix it on these newer ones... oh well.

I have a new pair of Natural coloured ones on the way. Wish they did an argilla bright with silver metal, rather than gold

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 2:22 PM

It happens sometimes when I either adjust the headband or press down on the headband piece. It must be some interference with the antenna. Thought that they would fix it on these newer ones... oh well.

I have a new pair of Natural coloured ones on the way. Wish they did an argilla bright with silver metal, rather than gold

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 2:52 PM

Duels:

Just received an email saying black and natural are available.  The new colours are on the website now too.

Will pick up a black pair from @Sheffield when they are in

I received an email about the black H8s being available.  I ordered a pair online with Beoplay and will receive them on Monday.  I will be able to compare the H8 with a pair of Beats Studio wireless noise cancelation headphones which I plan to give to my wife.

I wish I could go to a Bang & Olufsen store to buy the H8s but there are now too few stores left in the US.

justlikepoison
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Sounds like a defect. My first pair of H8's did the same thing, but my replacement pair was fine.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sat, Feb 20 2016 7:14 AM

linder:

I wish I could go to a Bang & Olufsen store to buy the H8s but there are now too few stores left in the US.

my dealer is ten minutes walk from home  I'm very lucky  (or maybe that was good planning on my part )

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sat, Feb 20 2016 8:08 PM

Can anybody tell me where the h8 battery meter appears on an iPhone screen

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
Posts 49
Bronze Member
davieav replied on Sat, Feb 20 2016 8:35 PM

top right hand corner.

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Feb 20 2016 9:12 PM

For a detailed view, swipe down from the top of the screen to access the notification center.

But be advised, it seems that the H8 is reporting the battery in steps. So it might show 100% for quite some time.

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

mr_anders_son
Top 75 Contributor
sweden
Posts 1,710
Founder

Got my replacement today! yeahhh

BeoVision Haermony 65"...BeoLab 28 Anthracite....BeoLab 17 as REAR....BV10-32....BC6-26....Beosound 9000....Beosound 1 New York edt....Beogram 4002....Beoplay Emerge....Beoplay M5....Beoplay M3....Beoremote Halo....BeoRemote One BT....Beo6....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....H95 Black LTD....H9i Rimowa....6 x H6....Form 1....U70...

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Tue, Feb 23 2016 6:42 PM

Yippee!  I received my new black H8s today.  The sound is very detailed and clear.  No problems.

Schuifschoen
Not Ranked
Rotterdam
Posts 55
Bronze Member

I am really shocked. This is not the Bang & Olufsen from the past.

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Thibault replied on Wed, Feb 24 2016 4:52 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I also experienced the super loud high pitch sound a few times with my H8 (serial #24XXXXX). It was actually so high and loud that my ear hurt for a few hours afterwards (that's of course on top of the bluetooth connectivity issues). Returning my H8 (which are already a replacement pair) this weekend!

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 25 2016 4:21 PM

With the H8 using a feedback-type ANC system, is feedback inevitable if the cup is pressed too hard?

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Thu, Feb 25 2016 10:25 PM

jonnyb:

With the H8 using a feedback-type ANC system, is feedback inevitable if the cup is pressed too hard?

Yes, just received my new ones today and they still screech at high pitch like before...

This can easily be replicated by leaving ANC on and compressing one of the ear pieces between the palms of your hands. You can even try by taking on and off the ear pad. If you hover the ear pad over the central mic on the headphone, as if you were to put the pad back on it will also screech.

Just tried them at home... walking around i still get a thudding sound with my footsteps with ANC on. I thought it would be fixed on the new ones. NOT pleased...

Update 2:-

It just dropped connection when changing album.

If you test and switch between music albums a few times via your phone it will drop its connection but continue to show the battery status icon. I remember this happening to me on a quiet train with my last pair because i just thought it was a temporary glitch on the panel so I pressed play on my phone and music started blaring out of my phone and not my headphones! Embarrassing :/

From that perspective I do NOT believe they are any better than the last pair I had.

On the plus side I have noticed on my new pair that the mic surrounds are metal Big Smile

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 8:36 AM

Does the noise come from both left and right earpieces on yours? It does on mine. 

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 9:10 AM

Both!

This dull thudding that is in sync with my footsteps is really worse than my initial pair. Really not pleased with the outcome. 

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 9:10 AM

Both!

This dull thudding that is in sync with my footsteps is really worse than my initial pair. Really not pleased with the outcome. 

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 9:27 AM

It seems to me that this is an inherent flaw of the type of ANC used in the H8. I found this helpful explanation of the different types of ANC on the Jabra website:

http://blog.jabra.com/anc-headsets-arent-all-the-same-three-types-of-anc/

It would appear that B&O went for the 'Feedback' type, where the ANC mic is inside the ear cup (as we can see when the pads are removed)

So, is the problem that the ANC mic is too close to the speaker, and all it takes is a little push to cause the feedback?

JC22
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
JC22 replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 12:48 PM

I have just bought a set of Beoplay H8s and am very disappointed due to several issues:

1. Using the ANC produces a loud hissing and sometimes squealing noise which is audible above the music.
2. The sound/connection drops out constantly which is incredibly irritiating
3. The Bluetooth does not connect to my devices automatically after pairing - I need to manually connect each time I want to use them
4. The overall volume level is too low at the max setting.

Overall I am very disappointed in the quality of these headphones and it seems like some of them at least might be common. Do replacements solve the issues?

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member
991fan replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:51 PM

I really like the headphones. A word of warning though. I sent mine back to Beoplay because of the drop out issue, had the replacements arrive this week, but they are serial number 249XXXXX, so not the version 2. And guess what they have the drop out issue.

Very disappointed, have contacted Beoplay and I'm awaiting their response.

Paul

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member
991fan replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:51 PM

I really like the headphones. A word of warning though. I sent mine back to Beoplay because of the drop out issue, had the replacements arrive this week, but they are serial number 249XXXXX, so not the version 2. And guess what they have the drop out issue.

Paul

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 3:00 PM

991fan:

Paul

If you got those from BeoPlay they might have been serviced and received a new logic board or replaced parts. Evaluate.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

JC22
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
JC22 replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 3:03 PM

991fan:

Paul

Sorry, I may not have picked up on this - are there are certain batch of serial numbers which are known to have problems?

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member
991fan replied on Fri, Feb 26 2016 3:25 PM

They are just as bad as the first pair I had. No improvement, drop outs every few seconds.

Thanks

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

They are just as bad as the first pair I had. No improvement, drop outs every few seconds.

Thanks

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Thanks

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Thanks

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Thanks

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Thanks

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

Thanks

Mathias_MM
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

jonnyb:

It seems to me that this is an inherent flaw of the type of ANC used in the H8. I found this helpful explanation of the different types of ANC on the Jabra website:

http://blog.jabra.com/anc-headsets-arent-all-the-same-three-types-of-anc/

It would appear that B&O went for the 'Feedback' type, where the ANC mic is inside the ear cup (as we can see when the pads are removed)

So, is the problem that the ANC mic is too close to the speaker, and all it takes is a little push to cause the feedback?

I assume they're using the hybrid approach. My reasoning is that there are microphones on the outside as well, at the back of the earcups. Also, they are damn annoying to wear with ANC on in windy weather, as the ANC picks up wind noise and sends "anti-wind-noise" to the ears, which incidentally sounds just like wind noise. I assume this would be an outside mic, since, at least to me, it does not feel windy inside the earcups :)

I also assume this may be a good thing, since it probably means they have more variables to tune for any software updates, provided it has any kind of priority. I must admit that to me, the ANC is less useful than I anticipated - I'd almost say I only use it for transport. This is a combination of the headphones having quite good passive noise isolation, the aforementioned problems with wind noise, the heel strike bumps and that I prefer the sound signature without it.

Overall, this is okay to me, I've come to the conclusion that they are only useful in that mode when inside and sitting still (and a little when vacuuming). Then again, I have no feedback problems, so at least it's working some times, and not actually harmful. It's also a bit annoying that I have to turn it off every time I start using the headphones.

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Mon, Feb 29 2016 9:30 AM

Good points. I had forgotten about the wind noise. Like you, I think I am resigned to just using the ANC when sitting still on the train during my commute. 

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Tue, Mar 1 2016 12:39 AM

Anyone have issues with them disconnecting when changing album?

Mathias_MM
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

k3wt:

Anyone have issues with them disconnecting when changing album?

I do, some times. iPhone 6, using Apple Music. I haven't experienced the problem listening to Podcasts, which I also do quite a bit. Another annoyance...

k3wt
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
k3wt replied on Tue, Mar 1 2016 4:23 PM

Is yours a new replacement also?

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

I experience the same issue when finishing an album on Apple Music (iPhone 6 on iOS 9.3 Beta 4) and starting a new one. H8 disconnect. I am pretty sure it's a software issue on the phone side though

Mathias_MM
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

No, they are a christmas gift obtained directly from B&O by an employee. Old serial number range.

Page 13 of 17 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last » | RSS