Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC6000

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf Posted: Wed, Jan 7 2015 1:55 AM

This is a tribute, somewhat tongue in cheek to the incomparable B&O record cleaner supreme, the iconic MMC6000. Now the important thing about this story is nothing about anything I did or didn’t do, just about the MMC6000 and its frightening ability to clean any vinyl record.

Playing my favourite work-out routine record “Missing You” by No Mercy, the first real hint of bass notes produced a sound like the woofer rupturing, which I initially considered.

My next thought was my dubious Beomaster 4400 was finally biting the dust, but before believing the worst case scenario I decided to check the MMC6000 as it is notorious for picking up dust.

I noted before removing the cartridge that the record was visibly very clean.

None the less the stylus had a tumbleweed like collection of crap on it and I removed it with the Magic Erasure.

Stylus perfectly clean, I also cleaned the record thoroughly and tried the record again and the bass issued was still there.

I began worrying about the Beomaster 4400.

None the less I removed the MMC6000 again and after just one play there was an even larger tumbleweed in the stylus. What the heck? Now I know the debris was coming from somewhere, the stylus wasn’t manufacturing it.

This time I cleaned the record as if possessed and used both alcohol and the Magic Eraser on the stylus which just gleamed under 30X as a result.

Tried the record a third time and this time problem solved.

At this point I remembered that I had placed this record gently on the bedspread while listening to my new Bette Midler LP.

The record looked perfectly clean, but contact with the bedspread must have been enough to foul the record, but the debris was no match for the MMC6000.

Annoying as this was, I suppose it is better to have the MMC6000 clean the record rather then have debris be there unnoticed on the record surface resulting in unnecessary record wear. Surprise

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

Jeff,

that will teach you to be more careful where you put your vinyl!  The static from them picks up everything.

Funnily enough, I was intending to do a quick post on the MMC6000's.    I received my first 2 MMC6000's (eBay purchase) a few weeks ago and have tried them on my BG4004.  The BG4004 has been running with one of 2 MMC20CL's that I have which produce marvelous sound.  However, as a test, I used the MMC6000's on the BG4004 and was amazed!  Somehow, the volume on the same amp settings is louder so I don't have to turn the volume up high on my 608 amp (an issue I previously described).  Now, volume setting 2-3 is equal to when I have to use about 6-7 with the MMC20CL's.

The sound seems even clearer and cleaner with the MMC6000.  I couldn't believe it as I had been so thrilled with the MMC20CL's I didn't think they could be beaten.  I know Peter has raved about the MMC6000's in the past which is in part why I bought these two - mostly unused cartridges.  I can now see why he is such a fan of them

Even though I clean my records with a rotary, wet cleaning system, yes, the MMC6000 does still pull some muck out.

Dave.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 9:40 AM

Who needs a record cleaner when you have a MMC6000!

Tragically I no longer have one though it would be wasted on me now as it really is fantastic at the higher registers.

Peter

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 4:47 PM

Hi Dave,

You are absolutely right…. and I have learned my lesson. What I find (oddly) remarkable is visually there was no hint of lint on the record, if there had been, I would have cleaned it, as opposed to the MMC6000 cleaning it for me.

I have two MMC6000 cartridges, both a gift from my buddy in California.

Now all cartridges are different and age only amplifies the differences.

I also have three MMC20CL’s and all are different. One is a NOS now with less than 10 hours on it, but this NOS cartridge does not compare to an old MMC20CL my B&O dealer insisted I replace due to age and I kept for the heck of it as a spare.

Back to the MMC6000 basically everything you said about the MMC6000 is true: the clarity, brightness, and volume level. The highs in particular are brilliant.

However there are downsides to the MMC6000 and all relating to its gift for debris gathering.

First that volume advantage disappears when the stylus finds sufficient garbage on the record. In an extreme case (which happens often enough) the volume drops to a very, VERY low level. The MMC20CL does not suffer this fate.

In addition those brilliant highs are quickly lost and in my particular experience, heavy bass produced the sound of a woofer self-destructing AND if I am right about this, the stylus when really filled with debris actually skipped a track or two when reproducing the heavy bass notes.

Objectively (if such a thing is possible with music) I share your enthusiasm and that of Peter’s for the MMC6000 and feel it is a superior cartridge as compared to the MMC20CL.

That said my “spare” MMC20CL is my best cartridge, with the MMC6000 coming in second ahead of the two other MMC20CL’s. Perhaps when they were both new the comparison might be different, but this is how it stands for now.

Personally I love and enjoy the MMC6000 and point of fact due to room position and sheer convenience; it along with my cobbled together Beogram 8000 are my record player of choice BUT I do find it annoying how often this cartridge requires cleaning.

As long as I am not so stupid as to place a vinyl record on my bed with identical use I “estimate” I would need to clean any of my MMC20CL’s about once every three to six months, while the MMC6000 will DEMAND  cleaning about once a week.

This is with the records cleaned regularly, dust covers always closed, and every Beogram lightly wet-dusted daily.

In conclusion the MMC6000 is a high maintenance cartridge by any standard I comprehend.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS