Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O 9500 standby

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

john8
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
john8 Posted: Fri, May 25 2012 7:59 AM

My 9500 is all ok, this is a question about normal operation.

After ten years in storage I have it working very well all though the tape sounds a little muddy but acceptable.

When I had the top open you could see its age, it's going fine now but for how long!

The question I want to ask is, when the unit is switched off by the • button the manual says it goes to standby, you hear a relay click so are there any relays energised in the standby mode? 

In other words should I turn it off at the wall?

Regards,

John

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, May 25 2012 9:01 AM

I always switch off on the wall at night and when I'm not home.
No use in having everything standing around using power.
We need to keep those penguins happy.

Martin

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

I always leave everything on standby if that is what it was designed to do.

We dont tend to get too many Penguins in my area.

Regards Graham

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
Turning things off from the wall increases the chances you damage your system. Only turn them off completely when you go on holidays for a while or when there is a thunderstorm.

P.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

john8
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
john8 replied on Fri, May 25 2012 10:10 PM

My order of priority is to the 9500, sorry penguins, if I could satisfy both that would be great.

I'm not happy leaving the unit in standby if some old relay remains energised whilst it's not used. It could be days in between use.

If it was near new I wouldn't be concerned.

Are they energised or not?

John

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, May 26 2012 9:27 AM

Don't worry about relays.
The units were designed to stay in standby for years just as they were designed
to be moved around occasionally and plugged in and out as often as you please.
Faults will occur and weak components will show regardless.

A standby power consumption of apprx 30 Watts (Beosystem 8000) costs what
equals apprx 100 UK pounds a year in Denmark.

Martin

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, May 26 2012 9:35 AM

joeyboygolf:

I always leave everything on standby if that is what it was designed to do.

We dont tend to get too many Penguins in my area.

That is probably why! Big Smile

Peter

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, May 26 2012 9:58 AM

I'm with Dillen here... even not minding the penguins, I still have my wallet to mind. In international context, our electricity is I believe rather cheap, but still it is on the average 17 cents per kWh nowadays (including all taxes etc, but not the fixed service expenses). It has doubled in ten years.

A quick calculation shows that each watt of standby power costs me 1.50 euros per year. Most kit from the few last years consumes less than 1W on standby (it's an EU regulation), but the 80's-90's stuff is more likely to be 3-10 watts per piece. My entire apartment consumes around 200 watts on the average, so I could easily cut the bill by 10% if I didn't have four older Beolabs, a BC9500, a BS6500 and three Beovisions (with associated STBs) plugged in.

I have extension cords with on/off switches feeding most of systems, so they are easy to power down if I leave even for a day. In the BS6500 stack, I mostly have just the Beomaster plugged in. I'm planning to get one of those automatic master-slave extension cords so the rest would power up with the Beomaster.

--mika

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Dillen:

A standby power consumption of apprx 30 Watts (Beosystem 8000) costs what
equals apprx 100 UK pounds a year in Denmark.

Martin

It would cost around £34 a year in the UK as I am paying approximately 13p per kwh

At that price, I would consider it worth it to leave on standby.

The trouble with green energy and all that saving the planet stuff is that nobody can afford to switch the electricity on!

Regards Graham

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, May 26 2012 7:30 PM

About 45p per kwh where I live so I have to think a little harder.  Erm..
Industrial areas about half of that.

Martin

lausvi
Top 150 Contributor
Helsinki - Finland
Posts 689
Bronze Member
lausvi replied on Sat, May 26 2012 9:35 PM

tournedos:

I have extension cords with on/off switches feeding most of systems, so they are easy to power down if I leave even for a day. In the BS6500 stack, I mostly have just the Beomaster plugged in. I'm planning to get one of those automatic master-slave extension cords so the rest would power up with the Beomaster.

The master-slave cord for the BS (using the Beomaster as master) sounds like a great idea.

I have been trying to keep as little devices as possible plugged in 24/7. I use extension cords with one or more switchable outputs. I keep my BS7000 powered on most of the day (also use it most of the day!), but always turn all power off for the night.

john8
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
john8 replied on Sun, May 27 2012 3:32 AM

Ok, Thanks again for your thoughts.

The 9500 is 24 years old so I'm going to let its last days be glory days.

I'm going to use it as it was made to be used, by using the off switch to put it in standby and not off at the wall.

I have pentas as speakers and they are powered.

I am using a master/slave extension cord with the 9500 as the master. When the 9500 is in standby the pentas are off.

That will be my contribution for saving the planet.

John

McRib
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Bronze Member
McRib replied on Sun, May 27 2012 3:52 AM

it keeps the IR sensor energized so it can receive commands at any time. the control panels are also enegized so while in stand by you can just press CD and everything will turn on by itself. 

js
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 382
Bronze Member
js replied on Fri, Jun 1 2012 3:30 PM

Dillen:

Hi Martin,

If I am not mistaken systems like Beocenter 9500 or Beomaster 4500 include a battery for the purpose of keeping the settings (sound settings and radio presets) when powered-off. If you always switch off on the wall, at some point this battery will be completely empty.

What will happen in terms of system operations when the battery will be empty (assuming one does not have the technical skills to replace it)? The loss of the radio settings may not be a big issue, but at which volume will the system power on if the sound settings are lost as well?

Thanks, js

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 7:00 AM

js:

Dillen:

Hi Martin,

If I am not mistaken systems like Beocenter 9500 or Beomaster 4500 include a battery for the purpose of keeping the settings (sound settings and radio presets) when powered-off. If you always switch off on the wall, at some point this battery will be completely empty.

What will happen in terms of system operations when the battery will be empty (assuming one does not have the technical skills to replace it)? The loss of the radio settings may not be a big issue, but at which volume will the system power on if the sound settings are lost as well?

Thanks, js

The battery will be used up at some point and will have to be replaced anyways.
If you do not know how to replace the battery, someone else will have to do it. It's a cheap part and a twenty-minute job
in most B&Os so not particularly costly.
You cannot tell at which volume the system will initially start up after a new battery has been fitted since the memory
circuit has been left unpowered so you will not have speakers attached and you will let the Tape button be the first to press.
Then you can set volume, tonecontrols etc. and store all the settings.
Some machines have a reset-to-factory-default function to activate that will copy default settings from the system ROM
before doing anything else.

Martin

js
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 382
Bronze Member
js replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 2:06 PM

Dillen:

you will let the Tape button be the first to press.

Martin, thanks for yoru reply, this is appreciated.

But why the Tape button specifically?

Thanks, Jean-Sebastien

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS