Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beolab penta muffled sound

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

cmsammy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Bronze Member
cmsammy Posted: Fri, Jan 23 2015 11:06 PM

Hi all, just got a pair of penta 1s and one is bright and clear and the other is muffled. All units are working but it's impossible to get them to sound remotely alike.

Crossover or amp problem ? Any ideas

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Jan 24 2015 9:16 AM

The easy way to test that is disconnect the amplifier and use, if you have one, with an amplified source. The amplifiers just unbolt and there is a simple connector to the cross over.

Peter

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

These speakers are getting old. It took me three examples to get one who sounded right. The other two had some sort of issues. What the exact cause is, is hard to tell for me.

On a different note: does it do any harm to the speakers to turn them up at about 50 volume on a Beomaster 7000? Or should they first be driven at lower volume like a car that shouldn't get too much rpm when could?

Greetings,

Kai

cmsammy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Bronze Member
cmsammy replied on Sat, Jan 24 2015 9:42 AM

Thanks Peter, I was hoping that it would be that simple, I'll have a look later.

Die_Bogener
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Bronze Member

The tweeter itself can be defect. This is very easy to measure with a multimeter.

If there are around 4- 8 Ohms to measure, just listen to to the tweater, use a hand to cover it. There must be a difference. If not working, the crossover can be defect. One capacitor or one resistor. Sometimes the resistor gets burned. 

cmsammy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Bronze Member
cmsammy replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:24 PM

With the amps off they sound pretty much the same. I can hear the mids and tweeter in the duff one  but very quiet.

I'm pretty sure it's the crossover just need to understand how to fix it now :(

cmsammy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Bronze Member
cmsammy replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:24 PM

With the amps off they sound pretty much the same. I can hear the mids and tweeter in the duff one  but very quiet.

I'm pretty sure it's the crossover just need to understand how to fix it now :(

cmsammy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Bronze Member
cmsammy replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 11:16 PM

Looks like the crossovers should just slide out but I don't want to pull too hard.

Do they just slide out ?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 11:29 PM

Yes. But the wires might not be long enough so you probably need to disconnect them midway out (make notes). Usually the crossover damage is quite obvious - charred resistors or melted coils.

--mika

cmsammy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Bronze Member
cmsammy replied on Thu, Jan 29 2015 10:59 PM

Ok, there is no visible damage on the crossovers.  I then swopped to mids/tweeter panels and the problem remained in the same unit. I then swopped the mid range crossover and the problem went with it. It's got to be this crossover, all the mids are working but it sounds like the treble is at -6. 

Not sure where to go from here, rebuild kit from Dillen maybe ?

cmsammy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Bronze Member
cmsammy replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:05 PM

Now I'm completely confused, they have now repaired themselves !!

Whether all moving around has disturbed something or using them has revived something I don't know but they now sound awesome.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:01 AM

The best sort of fix! However may return! Oxidised connection maybe?

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS