Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Questions related a to set of B&O Hojttaler Type K

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

i2Paq
Not Ranked
Winkel - Noord-Holland - The Netherlands
Posts 20
Bronze Member
i2Paq Posted: Sat, Jan 24 2015 4:25 PM

I've restored a set of B&O Hojttaler Type K, mostly cosmetic because they seem to work OK.

I'm wondering if there are other things to look at?

The surroundings of the speakers are in perfect condition.

Can someone tell me more about the filling/isolation inside the speakers?

Here they are:

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jan 24 2015 4:37 PM

Beautiful!

Consider me jealous. 'Can't help you though.

Jacques

i2Paq
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
i2Paq replied on Sat, Jan 24 2015 5:33 PM

When I first saw them I loved the Art Deco kind of  looks.

They really sound great on a small amp and not to big a room.

Atm. there is a pair on eBay for € 1500 Surprise

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:11 PM

i2Paq:
Atm. there is a pair on eBay for € 1500 Surprise

Even more ridiculous is a pair of B&O speakers for 2500 EUR on Leboncoin.  I'll send a link when I'm back from a birthday meal out.

Dave.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:32 PM

Consider me jealous as well!

Got some type Ls and type Bs, I really do love the design of these older speakers. Unusual as well,

Ben

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:08 PM

Here is the link I promised for the 2500 EUR speakers:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/760694233.htm?ca=10_s

A pair of M-100's.  Some of the prices people ask in France for B&O of any era is hysterical.  I've seen all sorts of stuff on Leboncoin and ebay at several 100 EUR's more than the cost of a brand new item from B&O!  In some cases, almost double.  I have a laugh every day.

Dave.

i2Paq
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
i2Paq replied on Mon, Jan 26 2015 4:03 PM

That is a ridicules price, you will always find some idiot who will pay it. If your lucky Big Smile

I've replaced the speaker-cable with a set of gold-plated terminals.

They are installed in the bottom and can easily be removed. You can hardly see them.

The original cable I've connected them and the rest is inside the speaker.

If someone wants to return to the original cable it is still possible.

For me it is more convenient this way and I can use any length or make of cable I prefer.

Baker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Baker replied on Sun, Jun 26 2016 10:55 PM

This may very well be a dead thread but in any event, I am in San Diego, CA cleaning house after my mother's passing several weeks ago.  I have come across a pair of these speakers in the garage which was purchased while they both lived in Europe in the early 1960's.  They look to be in very good shape but I do not have access to something adequate to power them.  I have no reason to think the speakers don't function and there is not a scratch on the cabinets.  I currently use PSB Gold's as my main front speakers.  Any clue as to whether this is a step forward or backward? Assuming that they function as intended to, what would be a reasonable price? 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Jun 27 2016 12:32 AM
Sorry for your loss; and clearing out can be painful process.

I regret I can't comment on your question - however welcome to BeoWorld.

BeoNut since '75

i2Paq
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
i2Paq replied on Mon, Jun 27 2016 7:58 AM

Just hook them up, you will be surprised how they sound.

Their not "disco" speakers so loud music is a no-go.

But they just sounds amazing, et least to me.

Sorry for you loss, all the best for you and your family.

Baker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Baker replied on Wed, Jun 29 2016 6:10 PM

Thank you both for your quick responses and I appreciate your thoughts.  I was able to hook the speakers up to an underpowered receiver and all drivers work.  What I like best, which may be simply a function of the receiver, is that the bass is not overwhelming and the highs not so shrill.  The real reason for jumping into this thread was to figure out whether they were worth shipping home to Whidbey Island, WA and from both you and my ears, it sounds like it is.  I'm no audiophile but enjoy music. This seems like a very nice forum and I will be back hopefully with some constructive input.  Again, many thanks

Baker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Baker replied on Wed, Jun 29 2016 6:16 PM

Thank you both for quick responses and thoughts.  I was able to hook them up to an underpowered receiver and all drivers work.  It may very well be the power but I appreciate that the bass is not overwhelming and the highs not so shrill. I was trying to figure out whether the speakers were worth shipping to my house in Washington and it sounds like they are.  This seems to be a very friendly forum and intend to follow.  I may even be able to offer some constructive input although I am certainly no audiophile.  Thanks again!

Baker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Baker replied on Wed, Jun 29 2016 6:16 PM

Thank you both for quick responses and thoughts.  I was able to hook them up to an underpowered receiver and all drivers work.  It may very well be the power but I appreciate that the bass is not overwhelming and the highs not so shrill. I was trying to figure out whether the speakers were worth shipping to my house in Washington and it sounds like they are.  This seems to be a very friendly forum and intend to follow.  I may even be able to offer some constructive input although I am certainly no audiophile.  Thanks again!

Baker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Baker replied on Wed, Jun 29 2016 6:17 PM

Baker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Baker replied on Wed, Jun 29 2016 6:18 PM

and I didn't intend to post that a gazzilion times-sorry, new to this forum

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS