Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolink gateway with Lutron Rania RA

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 Posted: Sun, Jan 25 2015 2:39 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello all

First of all i love the new home automation area as I think this is the way forward.

I am going to buy a beolink gateway.

I am looking at having some Lutron Rania RA dimmers in each room as they replace the existing light switches without additional wires.

Can anyone help me to understand them a little better and my questions below?

·         How does the RA dimmer communicate the beolink gateway?

·         It says Wi-Fi but I cannot find out if the switch joins your home network or there is another device?

·         Are they able to support LED bulbs?

·         Is it going to be better to use Phillips hue?

All new rooms could have a Hue but my kitchen is LED spotlights so need a different solution.

Any thoughts?

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:26 PM

I'm doing a combination of the two. I have 37 Philips Hue lights through my home controlled by the MLGW. The Philips Hue benefit from a very easy installation (just screw in the bulb or stick a light strip on a surface), no need for professional installation, and great ability of control.

However, in my kitchen I have suspended cable lights and in my dining room I have E14 bulbs, which is not a bulb that Philips Hue offers yet. I'm in the process of having Radio Ra2 installed to control these two lights, a ceiling fan, and motorized blinds. The Radio Ra2 requires a main repeater that acts as the bridge to the MLGW. Beyond 30 feet, additional repeaters would be needed. Downsides to the Radio Ra2 are that the system is quite expensive -- about $400 to $500 for the main repeater and about $400 to $500 for each dimmer with programmable buttons. On top of that, you must pay a qualified professional installer -- adding more to the cost. Each button on a Radio Ra2 keypad can be assigned as a trigger on the MLGW. Therefore, you can use a trigger for macros involving not just the Radio Ra2 lights, but also as triggers for the Philips Hue and and B&O product commands.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:28 PM

Excuse me. I just noticed that you were asking about the Rania RA. I was describing the Radio Ra2.

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:42 PM
Radiora2 for sure

It has much easier and better control with blgw
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:46 PM

Whatever you choose, make sure it has a way to control via ip. Radiora2 has the 'box' that will connect to blGW so nicely.

Seanie_230:

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello all

First of all i love the new home automation area as I think this is the way forward.

I am going to buy a beolink gateway.

I am looking at having some Lutron Rania RA dimmers in each room as they replace the existing light switches without additional wires.

Can anyone help me to understand them a little better and my questions below?

· How does the RA dimmer communicate the beolink gateway?

· It says Wi-Fi but I cannot find out if the switch joins your home network or there is another device?

· Are they able to support LED bulbs?

· Is it going to be better to use Phillips hue?

All new rooms could have a Hue but my kitchen is LED spotlights so need a different solution.

Any thoughts?

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray) Beolab 9 Beolab 6000 Beo 4 Beocenter 9300 Apple TV SKY HD Optoma HD65 Projector Lintronic TT455-RT-238 Beovision 3 MKII

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Does anyone know any good lutron dealers I can chat to ?

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

JulianJ
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Bronze Member
JulianJ replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 11:34 PM

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't have any contact numbers or names but if you can speak to a Lutron UK rep I'm sure you will find them extremely helpful. I certainly did when purchasing a Lutron system a few years ago.

Kind Regards,

Julian

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Hi there

it appears I have been confused over the last few days. Rania is a stand along dimmer with no communication. The radio ra is EOL so the only product by lutron is not the radio ra2 which is lovely stuff.

that and the Phillips hue.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS