Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Essence Remote in LIGHT Mode

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff Posted: Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:42 AM

Tonight I programmed and installed an Essence Wall Remote to work in LIGHT mode. It works brilliantly. While the Essence Remote does indeed function by emitting IR that must be received by a B&O product IR receiver, it works really well. I installed it next to the entryway door on the same wall as a BeoSystem 3 IR receiver on opposite ends of the wall -- perhaps 5 meters away -- with furniture and speakers between them. The Essence Wall Remote was powerful enough that the BeoSystem 3  received the signal with no problem -- even on the same wall.

The programming on the MLGW was extremely easy. The Essence Remote now provides 8 triggers plus the wheel -- which can be programmed for 4 additional triggers. Each button has a single press as well as a continuous press trigger. I programmed the "silence" button to turn the lights off with a single press. With a continuous press, it turns off the lights as well as sends an "all standby" command to turn off any audio or video when leaving the home.The other 3 buttons have been programmed to trigger 6 different light scenes on the Philips Hue ("Istanbul Nights," "Beauty and Beast," "Relax," "Aurora Borealis," "Energize," etc.) The wheel can be used to to dim or intensify the lights. I still need to program Phil London's macros to get it to work with the continuous command. Any macro could be programmed with this and the MLGW. For example, you could choose to use one of the buttons to not only turn on the lights but also turn on the music when you enter the home. This really is a convenient way to control your B&O system at the door. (I remember when I used the B&O remote keyring for this -- until it became too cumbersome in the pocket once cars started coming with their own remote dongles as well, which led to too much bulk on the keychain.)

I replaced the ugly white, plastic Philips Hue wall switch with this Essence Wall Remote. It now looks so much nicer with an integrated B&O design and reduces the "wall acne" of having unmatched wall switches. It even says "Bang & Olufsen" on it.Big Smile

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:51 AM

Hi Jeff, I would love to see pictures of your current setup. (I'm sure others would as well).

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:58 AM

Thanks, Sal. I'll work on uploading some photos. 

BTW, even if you don't have a MLGW, the Essence Wall Remote could still be useful next to the door to send an "All Standby" command to turn off your B&O system as you leave the home -- using one of the other IR modes. To me it would be worth the $200 to have this mounted next to the door without having to search for a B&O remote while rushing out the door.

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Jan 28 2015 3:02 AM
Beojeff

I think you've done just wants intended for the remote in the light setup.

I envision a scenario where a light switch is replaced with an essence remote.

Ie a guest bedroom.

Seems as if that's just what you've done. Fantastic I say!

And with the continuous or tap or double tap command options there are multiple commands that may be programmed.

This would be somewhat confusing for a non b &o person but would be cool for lights with the arrows and music for instance with the standby and 'on' buttons.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jan 29 2015 9:34 PM
I agree - fantastic work - inspirational even !

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS