Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Some BLGW questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 Posted: Wed, Feb 4 2015 8:50 PM

Hi beofriends

While I wait the dreaded delivery time for my beolink gateway I have some questions that are filling my mind.

1) can the app be connected with a port if I setup port forwarding on my router to enable remote home control?

2) I see drivers are being written which is amazing, are drivers able to be written for most IP home automation devices like Wemo plugs etc?

3) which lutron system should I install I really like the idea of some of their great keypads in my house that do different thing but I am not keen on ripping walls apart for extra deep back boxes.

4) do we know if phillips hue will bring out a version of the kinetic switch that will fit on a normal uk back box or some switches that could have writing on like the lutron. 

5) is there an alternative to lutron keypads that might work that could run macro's

6) can the hue switch buttons be programmed in BLGW to run macro's like dim the lights and switch on some music?

i am sure as soon as I his post I will have more questions.

does anyone know a good knowledgeable lutron dealer I could talk to ?

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Still new to this, so take my answers with a pinch of salt..

Seanie_230:
1) can the app be connected with a port if I setup port forwarding on my router to enable remote home control?

I believe you can... there's a section in the app settings where you can input a fixed address and port, rather than letting the app auto discover.

If your ISP doesn't give you a fixed IP address, you'll have to a dynamic DNS service.

Seanie_230:
2) I see drivers are being written which is amazing, are drivers able to be written for most IP home automation devices like Wemo plugs etc?

Currently the BLGW can connect to these system natively.

• Lauritz Knudsen, IHC-Schneider, LexControl
  • KNX - EIB
  • Clipsal
  • Legrand - Bticino
  • SmartHouse
  • Khimo
  • Lutron Homeworks Interactive
  • Lutron Homeworks QS - Radio Ra2 - Grafik QS
  • Lutron GRAFIK Eye
  • Lutron Radio Ra
  • Vantage
  • Dynalite
  • Conson XP
  • Velux
  • Philips Hue

For other systems, you'll need to install drivers. You cannot add other systems' drivers onto the BLGW, You install BLGW drivers on the other system(s). It can connect to 1 or more system at a time, either natively or those with drivers.

The other for which drivers are available are:

• Creston
  • AMX
  • Control 4
  • Bechoff

I do not think you can create a driver that will run on WeMo, however you can either find a home automation system that already has drivers, or you can develop a driver for a supported home automation system, or you can develop a programme that connect the MLGW and WeMo. In that case the programme has to run somewhere, like on a small PC, Mac mini, Raspberry PI...

Remember the BLGW isn't a full featured home automation system, it is meant to be a gateway between B&O and a home automation system,.

So for example, if control 4 support Wemo, then you can have the following system: 

Your B&O system <----> BLGW <-----> Control 4 <----> Wemo

If you look at my other post, you'll see, I am developing a driver for Indigo, a home automation software for mac.

Seanie_230:
4) do we know if phillips hue will bring out a version of the kinetic switch that will fit on a normal uk back box or some switches that could have writing on like the lutron. 

Seanie_230:
6) can the hue switch buttons be programmed in BLGW to run macro's like dim the lights and switch on some music?

No, not using the Philips Bridge. The API only allows sending orders to the lamps. You should however be able to do it with a home automation system that supports ZigBee natively.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:24 PM

The Hue Tap is wireless and actually just sticks to you wall using adhesive tape. I find it quite ugly and it requires quite a firm press to be responsive. I have not heard of any plans from Hue for other switches. You might consider an Essence Remote on the wall as I did. It's far more attractive and the buttons are very responsive.

It is quite conceivable that the Hue Tap COULD be used as a trigger for the MLGW/BLGW someday. Hue also is planning on including motion sensors in the future. The problem is that sensing the incoming signal from the Tap is not yet in the BLGW driver. It should be possible for someone to use their computer to monitor what the code is for the trigger. No one has done this yet.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:30 PM

P.S. The Essence Wall Remote can be used quite well to trigger macros on the MLGW/BLGW. See my earlier thread in this forum on this.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
beojeff:

P.S. The Essence Wall Remote can be used quite well to trigger macros on the MLGW/BLGW. See my earlier thread in this forum on this.

Hi there

I have ordered the essence, can you tell me where the transmitter is? I may stand in the way of my bs4 which would pass control and light signals to the BLGW.

Cheers

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS