Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

slight issue with PM's and conversations

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher Posted: Wed, Feb 15 2012 4:45 PM

When posting from an Android mobile device I have to use the "html button" method which is a pain but can be done if necessary . However , the html button doesn't seem to be there to reply to a pm or conversations. This can be an issue (I had to instigate a new conversation to the same person as I could not reply to his previous post ).

Is this an easy thing to include?

Ban boring signatures!

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

This is a test from Andriod phone.

Regards Keith....

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,495
Founder

Your comment is true and it is the same for the old forum as well.

However, the problem is not with the forum software really and therefore I am unable to resolve this issue.

Regards Keith....

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 3:52 PM

Reply from android device. OK - if it can't be done then there's nothing to do, i just found it strange that i can reply to a thread from a mobile device but not to a PM conversation (although i can originate one)!

Ban boring signatures!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 4:06 PM

Isn't it a regular TinyMCE editor that is responsible for this part? If yes, it should be as simple as adding 'code' to the list of button definitions at the place where tinyMCE is initialized.

The lines are far too long to copy-paste here, but currently, for example AddPost.aspx has

tinyMCE.init( blah blah blah ....)
theme_advanced_buttons1:'bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,separator,indent,outdent,separator,bullist,numlist,
separator,link,unlink,insertmedia,image,smilies,separator,cut,copy,paste,pasteword,separator,code'

... while the conversation reply page has

theme_advanced_buttons1:'bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,separator,indent,outdent,separator,bullist,numlist,
separator,link,unlink,insertmedia,image,smilies,separator,cut,copy,paste,pasteword,separator'

...which is exactly the same except for the code button. It seems only an accidental omission, as even the extra separator bar is still there in the end.

Of course there might be a reason why it won't work in the conversation reply page even if added there, but worth a try I guess...

--mika

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 4:18 PM

Sounds promising.

If the old forum is like this too then that serves to demonstrate how small a problem this is as I managed fine without it until Wed. 15th., when I needed to reply to a PM in a timly manner, while away from home, only to find it wasn't possible. It was then I found I could send a new PM but not to reply to any existing messages.

Ban boring signatures!

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,495
Founder

The problem is not just with PM's/Conversations it is with any posting on an Android phone.

On the phone when you say, click reply and highlight the area for writing the reply, the keyboard is NOT made available to you, but click HTML and then the keyboard is made available and you can write your post or PM.

Regards Keith....

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 4:57 PM

Yes, I understand - the same problem affects any browser based on certain versions on Apple WebKit (including my Nokia N8 which runs Symbian), which don't support the contentEditable property that tinyMCE uses. This is precisely what kept iPhone and iPad folks among others from directly posting on the forums, and for them this was fixed in iOS 5, I believe.

But the HTML button gives you a way to work around it when there's a bad enough need to post / conversate.

--mika

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 4:58 PM

Keith Saunders:

The problem is not just with PM's/Conversations it is with any posting on an Android phone.

On the phone when you say, click reply and highlight the area for writing the reply, the keyboard is NOT made available to you, but click HTML and then the keyboard is made available and you can write your post or PM.

Hi Keith, I'm not sure whether we're talking at cross purposes here - my point is that the HTML button is there when composing a PM but missing when trying to reply, and therefore cannot be clicked.

Ban boring signatures!

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,495
Founder

Sorry, I misunderstood your statement, yes I will look at adding the HTML button..

Regards Keith....

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 6:08 PM

SmileYes

Ban boring signatures!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS