Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram4000 tone arm lifts prematurely at record end

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF Posted: Sun, Mar 8 2015 10:15 AM

Greetings all,

My Beogram4000 tone arm lifts too early at the record's last track, but only

If the gap between track-end and record label is too narrow - in other words, the problem only occurs with very long records but not with all records.

My question is:

If I shift spring D - according to the SM - towards the carriage motor would that delay the

Tone arm lifting ?

Would be greatful for your advice

cheers, ALF

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Mar 8 2015 12:35 PM

More likely to be the drive belt to the arm carriage. There are two different types but one is slightly tighter than the other and this will cause premature lifting. Dillen can probably get you a different belt.

Peter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Mar 8 2015 1:46 PM

Correct, if the belt is too tight it does exactly that, and the carriage will not move very smoothly either. It is true of all classic B&O tangential decks prior to the Beogram 5005.

Jacques

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Sun, Mar 8 2015 3:40 PM

I find that hard to believe ?

How can the belt know how far towards the center a record is cut ?

Isn't that more a distance travelled problem ? The various springs on the carriage actuates certain responses and when the carriage comes to its inner point the arm lifts and moves back to its resting position ???

As said, with most average records the beogram has no issues - happy to try a different belt, but ?????? That will still leave the geometrical issue !

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Mar 8 2015 4:56 PM

I know it seems daft but I have a 4000 that does just the same! I keep meaning to change the belt but I tend to use a BG3000 at present so like all things, I never get round to it!

Peter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Mar 8 2015 9:08 PM

This is well-documented. In his Hifi News article on the Beogram 4000 last year Tim Jarman also mentions this. I experienced this too on two different Beograms.

Jacques

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 1:22 AM

Hi Jacques, Peter

I am listening, although I am having trouble understanding the rational ?!?!?

It then should happen to most records ?

But,  I will contact Martin for the appropriate belt and change it !!

In the meantime I would still like to know what a position change on 'spring D' on the

carriage does ?

My understanding is it deals with the distance platter-center to outside edge of a 30cm

Longplay record ??

Cheers, ALF

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 7:54 AM

The main problem is, that whereas there are standards for the position of the lead-in grooves, there
are no standards for the position and nature of lead-out.

In some decks, lead-out is detected by the position of the tonearm in some mechanically way, in other
decks it is detected by the increased speed of the carriage movement.
The latter can cause trouble in cases where, as you describe in your email to me, the lead-out groove is quite narrow and
therefore not introducing a clear and detectable change of carriage speed.

If the servo motor belt is too tight, the motor will not run as freely as it would with a loser belt,
this means that a higher voltage would be needed for the carriage to move at a given speed.
If your deck determines end-of-record by the horizontal speed of the carriage, then the belt could easily
be the cause.

I do seem to remember the record-end detection being a simple switch in the Beogram 4000 though, and
the best you can do is check the adjustments given in the servicemanual, but since there are no standards given
for the position of the lead-out groove, it should be accepted that not all records will be detected correctly by
a Beogram 4000. Some records may be detected too early, others not at all.
That's just the way the deck was built - and the way the records vary.

Some decks (Beogram 8000 series) monitor the carriage movement and stops the deck if no movement is detected
for 10-15 seconds or so. This will take care of lead-out issues as well as carriage blocking, skipping grooves,
belt breakage, platter motor failure, loss of stylus etc.

Best regards
Martin

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Tue, Mar 10 2015 8:31 AM

Hello martin, peter, jacques :-)

And I thought this issue would have an easy fix:-):-)

Well, I can report some good news after trying a few different belts from my collection

I found one - certainly not the original one - that seem to work perfectly, playing all

Those 'trouble-records' nicely to the end !!! Halleluja!!!

And how easy was that ??

Thank you so much for your encouragement and sharing of experience. 

Isn't it nice when everything works ?

Well,  almost as I am still having trouble with adjusting the floating chassis so that the gap around the platter and surrounding plate is even........just can not achieve that despite

The SM best efforts !

take care-ALF

Dom Keen
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Dom Keen replied on Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:13 PM

Hello there Beoworld.

Sorry to unearth an old thread but i have a Beogram 4000 with the very same problem.
Can anyone recommend a supplier for the required replacement belt?

All the best

Dom

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Wed, Apr 29 2015 2:14 AM

Hi dom,

I used a belt from my konvolut of belts I bought on ebay and one happened to solve the problem :-)

You also could perhaps try an adjustment of spring 'A' ?!

I am quite confident one of our forum members martin, known as 'dillen'  might be able to help you out ?

Hope that helped :-)

Cheers, ALF

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS