Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Getting LIGHT commands in rooms with incompatible products using IRTrans

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon Posted: Tue, Mar 10 2015 4:10 PM

Hello,

I thought I'll share my progress in trying to get the LIGHT commands in rooms where I have older B&O products, or no B&O products at all.

One solution is to place a recent Beolink Active with no Speakers and in Option 0.

Another cheaper solution I have found is to use an IRTrans module. Either Wifi or Ethernet.

It receives the IR signals and sends strings on the network. I haven't used it with the MLGW or NLGW yet as I use it trough my own programme running on my Mac, but the strings are simple and documented so it shouldn't be an issue.

Added bonus, it can send IR signals as well, so you can control LC2s for example.

Also it is very small, it does not need to be connected to the ML, and with the Wifi version, you only need the charger cable.

It might even be possible to attach an external LED to control non B&O devices, maybe.

P.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
Having played a bit more with the box, I find it very unstable. I'll keep testing and report back.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Mar 12 2015 2:34 PM

Regarding their prices and the time they are on the market I'm surprised that the IrTrans module is so unstable.

would a Logitech Harmony Hub will be usable, too? Only problem is that it uses wifi. It is cheaper and the availability is much better across the countries.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

TWG:
Regarding their prices and the time they are on the market I'm surprised that the IrTrans module is so unstable.

I am surprised too. Their config software doesn't really work on a Mac, I had to configure it on a PC (there it displays plenty of pop up messages about DLL, etc..), but I managed to connect it to my Wifi, and then finish the configuration on the Mac.

It receives the IR messages OK, for a while, and then stops, until I reconnect to it.

When trying to make it emit IR codes, it takes about 10 sec to actually blast the code, and then reboots!!!

I bought the version with a code database, but there is no documentation on how to store anything in there.

The guy who makes that is a nice guy, and was able to talk to him directly, for some help. I'll keep trying to make it work but for not it doesn't!

I just looked at the Logitech Harmony Hub... It is able to send B&O IR codes, but it doesn't say it's able to receive them.

Philippe

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Mar 14 2015 2:11 PM

As the Logitech Harmony Hub can learn IR commands, I'm just guessing that it may learn B&O commands, too!? Would be great to use the hub just as an IR-Wifi-IR converter or s.th. like that.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

TWG:
As the Logitech Harmony Hub can learn IR commands

B&O uses a different frequency for IR (that's why you do not have to point at your TV), it is nowhere said that the hub supports the B&O frequency in reception. It does support it in emission though.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:00 PM

Hi TWG and Phil,

did you succeed in using the IR-trans ?

as my second hand MLGW is shipping right now, this will bevome of some interest in the near future

Thanks

gerard

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:00 PM

Hi TWG and Phil,

did you succeed in using the IR-trans ?

as my second hand MLGW is shipping right now, this will bevome of some interest in the near future

Thanks

gerard

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:44 AM

Hello Gerard,

no, I didn't use IrTrans but one of our members (Ralf) used his extraordinary skills and developed an Arduino bases solution for light and B&O!

Have a look:
http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/11816/190920.aspx#190920

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS